Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) IV - March to the Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevils19

Jan 11, 2007
Northern NJ
I mean Hynes literally said otherwise in his interview today. They definitely like Mueller, and it is simply a numbers game.

With them acknowledging the logjam, even though they obviously knew, it seems so unlikely they bring Moore back next year. Unless they plan on moving on from Lovejoy's contract. Even then you still have Santini in the minors and the possibility of signing a UFA.

I would think that if Shero got a solid offer he would take it. I personally would rather see Mueller and Santini grow but Moore has been much better this year so if we keep him for the playoff run I'm fine with it. Just don't turn down good offers.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I think the most intriguing situation to monitor is what LA has going on the left side of their defense, which has only become more complicated with the Phaneuf acquisition.

Phaneuf will play for them, and his cap hit is more manageable given Ottawa's retention. Forbort was extended at the start of this season, jumping from $650K AAV to $2.525M. Considering his uptick in minutes (which is now ~21:00 ATOI, with two 24+ minute games in LA's last five) and usage with Doughty, you have to figure Forbort is in their plans.

Muzzin's there, obviously. Then you have Martinez and LaDue, who can play both sides. Kale Clague is their bluechip LD prospect, and you have to imagine they anticipate him cracking the lineup either next season or the one after.

Something will give, eventually.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I think the most intriguing situation to monitor is what LA has going on the left side of their defense, which has only become more complicated with the Phaneuf acquisition.

Phaneuf will play for them, and his cap hit is more manageable given Ottawa's retention. Forbort was extended at the start of this season, jumping from $650K AAV to $2.525M. Considering his uptick in minutes (which is now ~21:00 ATOI, with two 24+ minute games in LA's last five) and usage with Doughty, you have to figure Forbort is in their plans.

Muzzin's there, obviously. Then you have Martinez and LaDue, who can play both sides. Kale Clague is their bluechip LD prospect, and you have to imagine they anticipate him cracking the lineup either next season or the one after.

Something will give, eventually.

I just don't see where the Devils fit in here. This year doesn't make any sense unless Moore is gone and I'd rather not significantly mess with the defense right now. Next year you're looking at: Greene - Vatanen; Mueller - Severson; Butcher - Santini/Lovejoy.

Muzzin/Martinez will likely be an improvement over that entire left side, but there isn't any spots open unless a young defender doesn't play or Greene is gone. I know Greene has regressed the last couple years, but are you ready to just completely ditch him and fill his role with one of the younger guys or Muzzin/Martinez?

Camille the Eel

I don't see us making any moves if we continue hot. Or at least if we don't suddenly lose like 6 straight going into the deadline. Everyone is all in on securing a playoff spot. There will be no appetite to reshuffle the deck when we feel like we've got a good hand of cards. There's good chemistry in the locker room right now; we're deep enough to be sitting people. Zacha and Hischier are picking it up. Hall having an MVP season. Santini's sitting down on the farm and Mueller watching from the rafters.

If you get a shot to rent a # 1 goaltender, maybe that's something. But not for long term prospects or young talent.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
You don’t trade away defensemen at the deadline if you are a playoff team.

Depends on the circumstance. Lou claimed it was budgetary, but we shipped out Lyle Odelein at the deadline in 2000 at the same time as bringing in Malakhov. I think part of the rationale was that it opened up a spot for Colin White as well.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Hynes said today the Schneider is back skating and that it is just a matter or ramping it up. Hopefully he will be back next week

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Depends on the circumstance. Lou claimed it was budgetary, but we shipped out Lyle Odelein at the deadline in 2000 at the same time as bringing in Malakhov. I think part of the rationale was that it opened up a spot for Colin White as well.

Well then that was a net +1 for defensemen. We have done that in the past (2007, they traded Hale to add Salvador and open up a spot for Greene). You don just sell a defensemen, especially one that has been in your top 4 all year.

That is not to say I think they re-sign Moore. At this point he is a “self-rental”

njdevils19

Jan 11, 2007
Northern NJ
It's a big week. Some important teams this week. If we do well we give ourselves a decent amount of wiggle room for the tough schedule in March. Would not be easy for teams to make up 6-8 points on us at that point in the season.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Other option on D is to go back to sitting Lovejoy. He has his moments and played well for a stretch but at this point i think i would rather move Butcher to the right side and role with:

Greene Vatman
Moore Severson
Mueller Butcher
Lovejoy

I dont really have any issue with Santini getting some games in the A right now. He is playing big minutes it will help him, next year he should be up playing normally with the Devils however. Having a little insurance also doesnt help, games are going to get harder and harder each week.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

i need to remind myself who the sharks took with that 1st lou had to sweeten up the sharks with to take malakhov due to cap f***ery

edit:
2006-10-01Sharks• Vladimir Malakhov
• conditional first round pick (2007 #26-David Perron)
• Jim Fahey
• Alexander Korolyuk
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
which became this

2007-02-27Sharks• Bill Guerin• Ville Nieminen
• Jay Barriball
• 2007 first round pick (#26-David Perron)
trade with Blues
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

so …our pick that year is now in vegas

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
i need to remind myself who the sharks took with that 1st lou had to sweeten up the sharks with to take malakhov due to cap ****ery

edit:
2006-10-01Sharks• Vladimir Malakhov
• conditional first round pick (2007 #26-David Perron)
• Jim Fahey
• Alexander Korolyuk
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
which became this

2007-02-27Sharks• Bill Guerin• Ville Nieminen
• Jay Barriball
• 2007 first round pick (#26-David Perron)
trade with Blues
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I can admit that in the moment, I was grumbling that Malakhov cost us a shot at Nick Petrecki.

Credit St. Louis with making a good selection; St. Louis posted some behind the scenes videos from their draft prep and one of their scouts was vehemently against taking Perron which was interesting to see. Aside from Subban/Simmonds, the next 30+ picks were largely forgettable (and even Simmonds was shocked at how high he went).

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Hynes said today the Schneider is back skating and that it is just a matter or ramping it up. Hopefully he will be back next week

Hopefully we keep wining, this way there's no extra rush. Regardless, his first few games will be rusty after a month off (will be near a month if he starts next weekend)

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
I don't see us making any moves if we continue hot. Or at least if we don't suddenly lose like 6 straight going into the deadline. Everyone is all in on securing a playoff spot. There will be no appetite to reshuffle the deck when we feel like we've got a good hand of cards. There's good chemistry in the locker room right now; we're deep enough to be sitting people. Zacha and Hischier are picking it up. Hall having an MVP season. Santini's sitting down on the farm and Mueller watching from the rafters.

If you get a shot to rent a # 1 goaltender, maybe that's something. But not for long term prospects or young talent.

The goalie situation is fine, they're not going anywhere

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I can admit that in the moment, I was grumbling that Malakhov cost us a shot at Nick Petrecki.

Credit St. Louis with making a good selection; St. Louis posted some behind the scenes videos from their draft prep and one of their scouts was vehemently against taking Perron which was interesting to see. Aside from Subban/Simmonds, the next 30+ picks were largely forgettable (and even Simmonds was shocked at how high he went).

ya nothing much in the next while other the the 2 you mentioned ….but yay mike hoeffel …..oh well.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Wow, I completely disagree. He has good offensive numbers for a guy that doesn't play on the powerplay, he's the best skater we have on the blue line, and he plays with a physical edge. Yes, he has some limitations, but I think he's been great this year.

He has a knack for big goals. He does skate well and he has a surprisingly physical side. He’s also prone to coverage gaffes and some questionable passing. I can see why some see him as a great fit. My opinion is that he’s ok but not sure he’s worth the investment it will require to keep him in NJ after this season.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You kind of already know what you have in Mueller. That you have to ask the question says not much

Do they? He's still 22 years old and has played 19 games as a Devil. People act like he's some 25-26 year old guy that 'is what he is'.

I bet Trading for a rental goalie isnt even a thought in Shero’s mind.

He just got a 4 game winning streak out of the backups, and Cory is skating again.

Agreed I think the last week from KK/Lack and Cory back skating takes goalie off the table as a deadline need.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Trading Moore to play Mueller probably makes the team worse to be honest the rest of this year. And I'm not even a big Moore guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad