Devils 2016-17 team discussion (player news and notes) - Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Do they grade concussions a certain way? Like minor/mild/severe or are they all treated the same?

From what I understand, concussions are graded, 1-3, with Grade 1 being mild, Grade 2 moderate, and Grade 3 severe. They are usually treated differently, but I think various organizations have different standards for how each grade of concussion is treated. I'm not sure the exact standards the NHL mandates. More familiar with the ones for high school athletes (Colorado Medical Society Guidelines) since I have a young sister who had a lot of concussions in middle and high school. I don't think Zacha had a Grade 3 concussion at any point, since that normally involves unconsciousness.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Don't get it. Not that I'm upset about the Hegelson waive, but it seems like recently they are waiving some guys that Hynes clearly had high opinions of to play a lot during the season in big games (Hegelson/Kalinin).

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Don't get it. Not that I'm upset about the Hegelson waive, but it seems like recently they are waiving some guys that Hynes clearly had high opinions of to play a lot during the season in big games (Hegelson/Kalinin).

I mean i am sure Shero talks to the coaching staff before making these moves. But in all sports the GM makes the roster and the coach, coaches it. So really Shero could have made the choice for Hynes. Normally thats when you start hearing about bad blood and things so i doubt thats the case here but still.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Helgeson on waivers.
I hope someone takes him, or he ends up in Albany until the end of time. Or Binghamton I guess. I doubt anyone claims him. There's an overabundance of grenade handlers in the AHL and only a shortage for them at the NHL level because there's no demand for them anymore. Maybe Lou and Leafs Sanitation can come and pick up some more of our trash.
I don't think Hynes really had a high opinion of Helgeson, as he only got 9 games, which is still probably 9 games too many. He definitely had a high opinion of Kalinin though, with his 70% defensive zone starts and matching him up against teams second lines quite a few times, and taking draws with 5 minutes left with a one goal lead at home.

He's yet to even get into a game for the Leafs.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Why not let's add to the collection of draft picks we can use to sign, draft, or trade for more garbage!

or you know...use the assets to get another Palmieri like player from a cap strapped team in a expansion year. which is exactly what Shero is going to do while continue to draft young offensive talent.....it's a good combo

jfc

Apr 7, 2004
Ouestion about Helgeson...

If Helgeson is traded after clearing waivers, can the team that trades for him send him to the minors, or does he have to pass though waivers again? I'm thinking Shero may have done this to add him in a trade.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Once Helgeson clears waivers here, yeah, even if he's traded he can go directly to the minors for another team. Kalinin just did that in Toronto. But he'll be an unrestricted free agent at season's end regardless, so unless the Devils are trying to clear out a little cash, I doubt he'll be moved (though Loov does take over his role in Albany and there's no role for him here).

jfc

Apr 7, 2004
If Helgeson is traded after clearing waivers, can the team that trades for him send him to the minors, or does he have to pass though waivers again? I'm thinking Shero may have done this to add him in a trade.
thanks

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Don't know if this is the right place for this post but just FYI, Taylor Hall was on Spittin Chiclets this week. Link here: http://www.podcastone.com/pg/jsp/program/episode.jsp?programID=976&pid=1714668

For a guy that got a lot of heat on a personal level in Edmonton, he comes off as a decent guy in the interview. Worth listening to. It's one of the few shows where players actually act normal instead of robotic.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Once Helgeson clears waivers here, yeah, even if he's traded he can go directly to the minors for another team. Kalinin just did that in Toronto. But he'll be an unrestricted free agent at season's end regardless, so unless the Devils are trying to clear out a little cash, I doubt he'll be moved (though Loov does take over his role in Albany and there's no role for him here).

Was Kalinin sent to the minors? I didn't even realize that, but that explains why he hasn't played for the NHL Leafs yet.

I doubt anyone wants to trade for Helgeson, though it would be nice for Lamoriello Sanitation to take out some more trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad