Devils 2016-17 team discussion (player news and notes) - Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
My point is the Canes and the Leafs don't have to trade these players. What's to say the Devils didn't try something like that? The cap dumps that the Canes and Leafs would be making are so insignificant that there's absolutely no reason to waste a prospect to get it done. ESPECIALLY the Canes trading a good prospect in the division to us.

You sit there like you know what goes on in the Devils offices and what their dealings are with other teams. Like these teams are obligated to make these deals because they need to help show Devils fans that their owners are willing to spend money.

He meant why didn't we do that last offseason when those players (Teravainen, etc) were traded from other teams, when it would have only cost draft picks and a insignificant contract/cap hit.

Last edited:

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
My point is the Canes and the Leafs don't have to trade these players. What's to say the Devils didn't try something like that? The cap dumps that the Canes and Leafs would be making are so insignificant that there's absolutely no reason to waste a prospect to get it done. ESPECIALLY the Canes trading a good prospect in the division to us.

You sit there like you know what goes on in the Devils offices and what their dealings are with other teams. Like these teams are obligated to make these deals because they need to help show Devils fans that their owners are willing to spend money.

Again - people asked who the Devils could have spent money on as if there was no way to spend. I gave a list that proved the opportunities existed.

Saying the Devils lost out on deals is different than what was being said before - which is that the Devils couldn't have spent smartly.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Btw - Russell is averaging 21 minutes / game this season. I don't think it's at all close between him and Quincey this year.

Also, I like Quincey.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Perhaps NJ just isn't an attractive destination. That also has to be factored in. While pro athletes don't necessarily have to worry about property taxes, NJs are insanely high. Factor that and income tax and a place like say Florida looks more attractive especially since they were, yes were, on the upswing compared to us. We are trending that way to an extent but who knows how far along we actually are. Sure we have tons of money but guys actually have to want to come here unless we trade for them.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Shero said himself he has the green light to spend whatever he wants....just isn't a need to spend to the cap yet. If the right FA's come around then sure...an if all goes well our drafted talent will blossom and we'll need to pay them

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm skeptical that we're a ''Budget'' team, with a few subtle signs. Like spending the night in Nashville after a matinee game. This costs more money for a hotel for one night, when the team would have landed back in Newark by the early evening. Especially these days, where every player that isn't on an ELC gets their own hotel room and doesn't have a roommate.

Then when the team was playing the Panthers, they stayed somewhere on the beach and not at the Doubletree Sunrise, which costs a lot more per night.

Also, when we were playing in Winnipeg on a Tuesday after a Saturday game in Pittsburgh, the team flew back to Newark that Saturday night and then flew to Winnipeg that Monday after practice. Some may think it was a wash with the two nights of not having to pay for a hotel for two nights, but I would have to assume that fueling the plane costs more than the two extra nights for hotel rooms and meals. Especially when the team was already headed in that direction anyway and flew back home, only to turn the plane around 36 hours later and go back in the same direction.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Perhaps NJ just isn't an attractive destination. That also has to be factored in. While pro athletes don't necessarily have to worry about property taxes, NJs are insanely high. Factor that and income tax and a place like say Florida looks more attractive especially since they were, yes were, on the upswing compared to us. We are trending that way to an extent but who knows how far along we actually are. Sure we have tons of money but guys actually have to want to come here unless we trade for them.

20 years ago maybe. Since then we've won three cups, have a beautiful building and have become one of the most respected franchises in all of sports. I don't think it's that undesirable...but I'm not a multi-million dollar athlete.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Well I'll tell you what. Shattenkirk is the right UFA haha.

30465575.jpg

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
20 years ago maybe. Since then we've won three cups, have a beautiful building and have become one of the most respected franchises in all of sports. I don't think it's that undesirable...but I'm not a multi-million dollar athlete.

No disrespect, but those are some rosy red glasses you've got there. To your point, I say 10 years ago maybe.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

And 10 miles from Manhattan too.

NJD has everything a top player would want right now except one thing.
A strong hockey team.

Once we get more top-tier players, The Rock will be a rockin again.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Shero said himself he has the green light to spend whatever he wants....just isn't a need to spend to the cap yet. If the right FA's come around then sure...an if all goes well our drafted talent will blossom and we'll need to pay them

That is true.

He also wants to build the foundation the right way.
We need to take the long view, not a quick fix glance.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Two out of those things are pretty irrelevant when you miss the playoffs five years running and you've had a complete management change in that time. The building itself is irrelevant to hockey players too, other than locker room accomodations which I'm sure are nice especailly with the recent renovation.

What FA's care about primarily are a competitive team, and money. Right now the Devils are towards the bottom in terms of being competitive, and towards the top in terms of cap space at least.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Two out of those things are pretty irrelevant when you miss the playoffs five years running and you've had a complete management change in that time. The building itself is irrelevant to hockey players too, other than locker room accomodations which I'm sure are nice especailly with the recent renovation.

What FA's care about primarily are a competitive team, and money. Right now the Devils are towards the bottom in terms of being competitive, and towards the top in terms of cap space at least.

The Devils have done a great job in repositioning themselves. Savy FAs should recognize the upward trajectory of this team. Between the Palmieri and Hall acquisitions, and the play of young guys like Zacha and Wood, we are a fairly exciting team. We also have a great goaltender.

Shero has also done a great job in establishing a new culture and a consistent plan. I think that will sell well to FAs.

If you're signing a seven year contract somewhere, it shouldn't just be about "were you good the last three years". A team like the Sharks are going to struggle in two years.

Last edited:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The Devils are not an appealing FA destination, nor are they unappealing. They're around the middle of the league. Their Stanley Cups don't mean a damn thing to FAs though.

There's a lot of malarkey in this thread regarding how much ownership is willing to spend. They spent to the cap the first off-season they were here. I don't see what has changed since then except that it hasn't made sense to spend a lot.

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I forget what I was listening to, it might have been the Sportsnet podcast, but they said something to the effect that Shattenkirk doesn't necessarily have to play on the east coast and that rumor is overblown.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There's a lot of malarkey in this thread regarding how much ownership is willing to spend. They spent to the cap the first off-season they were here. I don't see what has changed since then except that it hasn't made sense to spend a lot.

Quoted for truth.

The last time we spent to the cap, we still finished with fewer points than last year and what were on pace to finish with this year.

I think the idea is to not spend to the cap during a rebuild, not because we need to be frugal.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I trust Shero to do what NEEDS to be done. Not what instant-gratification'ers WANT to be done. :nod:

BTW, It's over for Patty. :(

http://www.northjersey.com/story/sp...nett-take-step-toward-lineup-return/97465136/

Hope he'd at least play the final home game of the season(or part of it) so he can get a well-deserved standing O.

(pardon me if this was discussed already)

i dont think this specific article has been, but were not devils fans cause were idiots…..we all know the time of the season and situation on whole.

'either or' at this time is pointless for him to play

raise 26 :handclap:

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Andrew Gross
‏@AGrossRecord

#Devils practice lines:
Hall-Zajac-Palmieri
Wood-Henrique-Cammalleri
Zacha-Josefson-Noesen
Smith-Pelly-Kalinin-Blandisi/Parenteau

#Devils d-pairs in practice:
Greene-Lovejoy
Moore-Santini
Helgeson-Severson

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Andrew Gross
‏@AGrossRecord

#Devils practice lines:
Hall-Zajac-Palmieri
Wood-Henrique-Cammalleri
Zacha-Josefson-Noesen
Smith-Pelly-Kalinin-Blandisi/Parenteau

#Devils d-pairs in practice:
Greene-Lovejoy
Moore-Santini
Helgeson-Severson

I wouldn't be surprised if we re-sign Kalinin at this point.

Parenteau a healthy scratch, while that useless sack of **** still plays? Nevermind Kalinin, DSP in and Parenteau probably a healthy scratch? Play players on their off wings (it hasn't stopped Hiney Head at other points this season) or move Blandisi to center. Do what you gotta do, but no way should Kalinin or DSP be in over Parenteau.

This is why I have an issue with Hynes and also why it's legitimate to ask if he cares about puck possession. His system has about as much puck possession as a pee wee team and he scratches good possession players for guys who have no possession skills whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad