Devils 2016-17 team discussion (player news and notes) - Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
So yeah I don't think Hynes is the coach to get us over the hump. Shero will continue to improve the roster, but I expect them to continue to under perform until Shero makes the switch.

I guess it is ok to wait until there is better options in this or the next offseason, but yeah. I don't see Hynes as the answer, and it will take someone else to get this team back into the playoffs.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
So yeah I don't think Hynes is the coach to get us over the hump. Shero will continue to improve the roster, but I expect them to continue to under perform until Shero makes the switch.

I guess it is ok to wait until there is better options in this or the next offseason, but yeah. I don't see Hynes as the answer, and it will take someone else to get this team back into the playoffs.

Different phases sometimes require different leaders.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Everyone's on board for a 'rebuild', but few people have the patience to see it through.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It may end up being true that Hynes isn't the guy, but I would still like to see what he can do with better players. More specifically an NHL caliber blueline where half the defense isn't playing over it's head.

I just have a hard time laying too much blame on a coach of a team that clearly has some significant holes to fill yet. If you want to lay blame on him for some of his personnel decisions or maybe waiting too long to make adjustments, that's fine. I think those are fair criticisms. But I think at the end of the day he's a young coach who has been brought in during a rather tough transition/rebuild period and for the most part has done a pretty reasonable job. Maybe somebody else could have done better, but I think any coach is going to look bad when their goaltender sucks for 6 weeks and his best players underperform.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

At the very least, he definitely should not be extended. I'd wait to see what's going on in December of this year and then make a decision. At the very least, I wouldn't extend him until after the 17-18 season ends, as his contract will then be up. I can't justify giving him a multi year extension if we don't break 85 points either this season or next. If that were the way to go, why did Shero even give him only a 3 year deal to start with, rather than a 4-5 year deal at the time of the hire? A lot of teams give coaches 4-5 year deals these days, even with little or no NHL head coaching experience.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
So I think the thing I had about this club the most is that since the Cup run they've progressively made me care less and less. For the first time in my life I don't necessarily care if I catch the majority of the games. Granted having a kid probably plays into that as well but I just am disinterested a lot of times and that's sad to me.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Its a damn shame that Josefson cant score to save his life because he's a fine forward beside that. He is responsible, he has good vision, he has good hands (clearly shown during the shootouts and some in tight stick handling he can do), he isnt bad in the dot this year, he is normally physical on board battles, and he has speed to boot. But the guy cant find the back of the net. Its frustrating because he has all the tools but perhaps the most important. He and Zacha seem to have something working they are very good together, its just a shame that Josefson cant find some type of goal touch. If he could just be a 25-30 point player we would have a hell of a 3rd line center.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Its a damn shame that Josefson cant score to save his life because he's a fine forward beside that. He is responsible, he has good vision, he has good hands (clearly shown during the shootouts and some in tight stick handling he can do), he isnt bad in the dot this year, he is normally physical on board battles, and he has speed to boot. But the guy cant find the back of the net. Its frustrating because he has all the tools but perhaps the most important. He and Zacha seem to have something working they are very good together, its just a shame that Josefson cant find some type of goal touch. If he could just be a 25-30 point player we would have a hell of a 3rd line center.

It's frustrating because you can see how he has almost all the tools. He's got speed, he's solid defensively, he's got good offensive instincts, he just can't finish. Even if he produced like 10 goals a year everyone would be happy with that. I've never seen a player who seemingly has all the skills EXCEPT the ability to finish.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
So I think the thing I had about this club the most is that since the Cup run they've progressively made me care less and less. For the first time in my life I don't necessarily care if I catch the majority of the games. Granted having a kid probably plays into that as well but I just am disinterested a lot of times and that's sad to me.

I feel your pain. I just have too many responsibilities to make sure that I carve out three hours every other night to watch an inferior product. I honestly can handle the idea that we're rebuilding, but to me we just have that look of a low budget franchise that could be a non-playoff factor for many more years (like the kind of drought that the Islanders went through). While I do think that Shero has a pretty keen eye for talent I just seriously question whether he'll be given the resources to really build this franchise back up.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I'm still concerned that there isn't a guiding principle for the team.

Fine to trade Larsson for Hall. Great deal on paper. But, should the team now follow Hall's lead? Or is the team trying to reshape Hall a little bit?

It feels like the team is caught in the middle.

The first two goals last night were terrible. But, they also were symptomatic. The last couple of games, the team is prioritizing pressure over support.

My concern is that playing up-tempo, high pressure takes a lot of skill. I don't see that skill in the pipeline. Sure there's some skill (Zacha, Wood, Severson), but I don't think it's enough. Shero needs to do a lot of work on the roster if he wants the team to play this way.

Meanwhile, playing more safely takes discipline and sacrifice of personal metrics. That means they have to get Hall to buy in. Right now, I don't see a big effort to get Hall to change how he plays. Nor do I see a big effort to collect defensively responsible players - instead, Shero's brought in more offensive skill at the expense of defense (Palms, PAP, Smith Pelley, etc.).

Hall makes high risk plays, and I think that rubs off on the team. It's generally fine when Hall does it - he has the skill to pull it off usually. But when you get Merrill, Henrique, or Quincey trying to execute high risk plays, you get last night. If Hall buys in to a safer style of play, I think everyone else does as well. And I think that gets you the team that had the successful Western Canada trip. I don't think it's a coincidence that Hall was benched in Minny and the team came back. I think that was Hynes trying to get the team to play a certain way, and trying to get Hall to fit within that. But, that discipline seems to have evaporated when the team got home.

I think Shero needs to decide what he wants this team to be next year, and then start collecting those players at the TDL and offseason. Otherwise, I'm concerned next year will be more of the same.

Last edited:

Rebel Devil

Mar 16, 2014
Different phases sometimes require different leaders.

It's tough to find the right guy, and sometimes it takes a little luck along the way as well. Not to compare hockey to baseball, but look at the Cubs. They've had three head coaches on their climb from the basement to the penthouse. During the beginning of the rebuid they had Dale Sveum .. fired him after two unproductive years (127-197 record) in which he really had a poor roster. They hired Rick Renteria to take over and went (73-89), as the team started to improve a bit. The Cubs then surpisingly dumped him after they were able to use a contract loophope to snag a top manager in Joe Maddon, and he proceeded to go (200-123) and help deliver two playoff appearances and a world title.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I'll take the high draft pick and hopefully it's one of the top two. However, it's time for the Devils to clean house. Our defense is terrible and will be much harder to rebuild, as for the for forwards, things need to change. Get rid of Cammy, he's done, but the Fiddler's, DSP, and Kalinin aren't any better than what we had in the past. Even a player like Andy Green should be a 3rd pairing defensemen, not our number one or two. Shero, needs to add two defensemen and rebuild the 3rd and 4th line again. I'd like to see players like Coleman and other from Albany brought up and given a fair shot. we also need JQ to make it at least as a 3rd.line player and although there aren't and McDavid's or Matthews, one of the top two can help. I give Palimeri and Henrique another shot before I would considering moving them. However, most importly, Shero needs to fire Hynes, he looks lost.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I'll take the high draft pick and hopefully it's one of the top two. However, it's time for the Devils to clean house. Our defense is terrible and will be much harder to rebuild, as for the for forwards, things need to change. Get rid of Cammy, he's done, but the Fiddler's, DSP, and Kalinin aren't any better than what we had in the past. Even a player like Andy Green should be a 3rd pairing defensemen, not our number one or two. Shero, needs to add two defensemen and rebuild the 3rd and 4th line again. I'd like to see players like Coleman and other from Albany brought up and given a fair shot. we also need JQ to make it at least as a 3rd.line player and although there aren't and McDavid's or Matthews, one of the top two can help. I give Palimeri and Henrique another shot before I would considering moving them. However, most importly, Shero needs to fire Hynes, he looks lost.

Do you not understand that building the bottom 6, for the most part, is something that should be done in-house? and something that IS being done in-house?

also who is taking Cammalleri? you can't just "Get rid" of a guy, thats not how it works. You can thank Lou for that contract.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Maybe.

But I do think Hynes/Shero have a direction. If Hynes can get the team playing hard and structured defensively while helping the kids develop, he'd be perfect for the transition we're at now. Then if someone comes along that makes more sense down the road, you make the swap for Hynes. Hynes might just be the victim of time, but I'm willing to see us hold out until the team gets better barring another complete breakdown.

I have a feeling Boudreau is going to be the coach of the Devils in the future. Seems like the perfect fit for what Shero's building.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

So what you're saying is that our roster is complete garbage... yet, our coach looks lost.

Makes sense ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad