Prospect Info: Development Camp Thread July 1st - July 5th in Jasper

LoiltyAtItsFinest

Aug 18, 2014
Berglund's wraparound with Graber blowing a tire on the way to the celebration is my highlight of the night.

Looking like we've got more than enough skill coming from the right side of defence with Bear, Mantha and Berglund.

Paigin looking pretty smooth too.

Paigin and Berglund were a thing of beauty on that Graber tap in

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
Seems like Yamamoto has some chemistry with Gambardella? Between the scrimmage and the final cup, they've gotten points on almost all of each other's goals lol.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Finally watched the highlights - Maksimov has potential to be an outright thievery. Really nice hands in close.

Safin was also impressive. In the first half highlights he chases down, strips, and goes around Niemelainen then snipes it far side.

Might have to try to catch a few Q games this season.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Dylan Wells had a nice assist on Maksimovs hat-trick goal.

Really curious about Berglund going forward. He's the one of our three 3rd rounders of last year that I like the most. Gonna try and catch some Skellefteå games this year.

Also nice to see Gambardella and Yamamoto putting up points.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Wells has that Roy cockiness to him, in a good way. He saucer passed a breakaway to Maksimov.

Maksimov looked like a RH version of Draisaitl, lol.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Seems like Yamamoto has some chemistry with Gambardella? Between the scrimmage and the final cup, they've gotten points on almost all of each other's goals lol.

The first goal they created was just beautiful.

I was nice to see all the recent picks having success. I think this might have been a one of those really good drafts for the Oilers.

OILSLICK94

Mar 9, 2004
London Ontario
Interesting....
kevin-and-kelly-klima-wildcats.JPG

They are 20 years of age, and smallish 5'9" 172 lbs.

Both were here in London 2-3 years ago, as the Hunter Brothers gave them a shot with the London Knights, they barely lasted a season.......wondered where they would end up,

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
In the long drive competition, who's the guy with the goofy swing and #3 shirt? I could swear it's Puljujarvi but he's not participating in camp.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Finally watched the highlights - Maksimov has potential to be an outright thievery. Really nice hands in close.

Safin was also impressive. In the first half highlights he chases down, strips, and goes around Niemelainen then snipes it far side.

Might have to try to catch a few Q games this season.

I watched Niagara a fair bit after they signed Mantha. I was very impressed with what I saw out of Maksimov. He's got good size, is fast and like to score. He's also really young having just turned 18 last month.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
The first goal they created was just beautiful.

I was nice to see all the recent picks having success. I think this might have been a one of those really good drafts for the Oilers.

Drafting has been so much better since Chia become the GM . Image our prospect pool if he had been in charge of drafting for the last 10 years

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Drafting has been so much better since Chia become the GM . Image our prospect pool if he had been in charge of drafting for the last 10 years

you mean to say you dont approve of us drafting Lagesson, Nagelvoort, Marco Roy, Yakimov, Houck, Platzer, Muir, Zharkov, Gustafsson, Moroz etc in the top 4 rounds?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Agreed 100%

Jones, Bear, Paigin, Wells, Berglund, Marino, rasanen, Makimov, Safin, Benson, Skinner have been great picks. Only 1 or 2 will turn out as hyped but I love that we are picking high upside guys. No more coke machines (or very limited amount)

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I watched Niagara a fair bit after they signed Mantha. I was very impressed with what I saw out of Maksimov. He's got good size, is fast and like to score. He's also really young having just turned 18 last month.

We thought we were getting a bust when we traded for him. Pleasant surprise! My only complaint about him is that he can be a bit of a puck hog and doesn't always make the best play. But man can he finish.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
you mean to say you dont approve of us drafting Lagesson, Nagelvoort, Marco Roy, Yakimov, Houck, Platzer, Muir, Zharkov, Gustafsson, Moroz etc in the top 4 rounds?

I put in bold some of the picks I didn't mind.

2010 I was upset that we passed up on Toffoli, but I was okay with Pitlick.
2011 I was furious about Musil when Jenner was still there (you can tell I'm an OHL guy)
2012 Moroz....

I think under Chiarelli/Gretzky we would have drafted at least 1 of Jenner/Toffoli. They scout the OHL heavily. While I did see Lowe and Stu Mac a few times in Niagara (mostly for Strome/Hamilton in 2010/11), they didn't often look here beyond round 1.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo

I agree to a certain extent, but thus far, none of the draftees during Chia's tenure have done anything of substance at the NHL level. I will agree though, the majority of our draft selections have looked good since Chia took charge.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I put in bold some of the picks I didn't mind.

2010 I was upset that we passed up on Toffoli, but I was okay with Pitlick.
2011 I was furious about Musil when Jenner was still there (you can tell I'm an OHL guy)
2012 Moroz....

I think under Chiarelli/Gretzky we would have drafted at least 1 of Jenner/Toffoli. They scout the OHL heavily. While I did see Lowe and Stu Mac a few times in Niagara (mostly for Strome/Hamilton in 2010/11), they didn't often look here beyond round 1.

Agreed, those bolded picks were solid at the time (even Roy I was ok with). The issue was Muir/Musil/Moroz etc guys that were either BCHL scrubs or were drafted way to high in second round

My thinking of the draft is this: after the mid 2nd round- 80% of the players are homogenous- they are so young and unproven that its hard to pick a winner, but they all have similar shots at making it (which isnt much). 10% are the droppers that have a much better shot at turning out, and 10% are the coke machines or extreme long shots that have no chance.

For far too long Oilers picked waaaay to many for the bottom 10% and only half from the 80% group. When we did pick from 80% we landed Petry, Reider, Dubnyk, Pitlick, Khaira, Omark, guys in bold etc. But we just picked there way too little

Now almost all our picks come from the 80% and only 1 or 2 6th/7th round picks per year are the bottom 10% guys. I have much more hope well hit on some of our guys as a result

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

an udersized 23 years old college graduate and an even smaller first round pick standing out in a not so physical game setting. Who wouldve thunk!!

Getting a little excited is fine but this 'chemistry' proves nothing in terms of long term success.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
I mean Pitlick turned out well, injuries aside.
Slepyshev is looking good. Khaira, Oesterle, Lander, Davidson, Reider all show(ed) promise.

Klefbom was an excellent pick, was scared we might've taken McNeil if Chicago didn't do us a favour there one spot before. More valuable to the team than the man we picked 1st overall that year. Though I still hold out hope for Nuge.

It was the picks like Moroz, Musil, Zharkov that were a bit questionable to me.

But we hit some winners in later rounds even under the Lowe/MacT regime. Albeit bottom lineup potential more than any top line talents.

I am a big of Slepyshev as far as top 6 potential.

And all that being said, loving the picks in the last few years way more collectively.
Excited for Bear, Jones, Maksimov, Yamamoto, Lagesson, Benson to show their potential.

Speaking of Benson though, he didn't really make any noise this camp though I saw his name in attendance.

bzur

Feb 11, 2007
Slepyshev is looking good. Khaira, Oesterle, Lander, Davidson, Reider all show(ed) promise.

Klefbom was an excellent pick, was scared we might've taken McNeil if Chicago didn't do us a favour there one spot before. More valuable to the team than the man we picked 1st overall that year. Though I still hold out hope for Nuge.

But we hit some winners in later rounds even under the Lowe/MacT regime. Albeit bottom lineup potential more than any top line talents.

And all that being said, loving the picks in the last few years way more collectively.
Excited for Bear, Jones, Maksimov, Yamamoto, Lagesson, Benson to show their potential.

Speaking of Benson though, he didn't really make any noise this camp though I saw his name in attendance.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember Benson saying in an interview that he was just doing light stuff and being around at camp because he is still recovering.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

He was a FA signing out of the NCAA, not a draft pick of ours.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember Benson saying in an interview that he was just doing light stuff and being around at camp because he is still recovering.

Correct. He'll play full contact in training camp but he was just doing light skating and drills for the Jasper camp.

Bangers

May 31, 2006

I agree with most of what you wrote, but I really liked Zharkov. He seemed like a high upside pick, but he just couldn't put it together.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I agree with most of what you wrote, but I really liked Zharkov. He seemed like a high upside pick, but he just couldn't put it together.

He was, basically, a 4th round pick. Not great value, but he wasn't a terrible choice where he was, it's as you said, he didn't put it together. Really fell off after being drafted.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I think it's "rad" that McLellan is introducing Wickenheiser to NHL coaching. I wonder if she'll get a shot somewhere Oilers related?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad