Prospect Info: Development Camp Thread July 1st - July 5th in Jasper

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
It's not.............???

It'd be funny if Yamamoto had a near-unheard of ultra-late growth spurt and got to 5'10.

It's not far out as you may think................Most Girls are fully developed by the time they are eighteen. Guys are genetically growing until past their 20th birthdays.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
It's not far out as you may think................Most Girls are fully developed by the time they are eighteen. Guys are genetically growing until past their 20th birthdays.

I was 5'11 at 18, finished at 6'2 at 21 where I'm currently standing now. The same thing with my brother, but one inch shorter.

Obviously it's all based on your genetic predisposition, but it's definitely a possibility.

Either way, if he plays at his current height, it shouldn't be an issue as long as he plays the right way (for a small guy).

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Not sure what the value of rushing Yamamoto would be.

Could his skill level stop him from drowning at the NHL level, quite possible; but the Oil don't have a glaring need to ice a young RW prospect over Strome, Puljujarvi, or Slepyshev.

Remember back to the 2009 TC, Eberle was good enough to make the team, but that extra year in junior was far more valuable.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Not sure what the value of rushing Yamamoto would be.

Could his skill level stop him from drowning at the NHL level, quite possible; but the Oil don't have a glaring need to ice a young RW prospect over Strome, Puljujarvi, or Slepyshev.

Remember back to the 2009 TC, Eberle was good enough to make the team, but that extra year in junior was far more valuable.

its not about rushing... its about him outperforming Strome and Puljujarvi...
not likely considering his age and size but shouldnt really be that difficult a task either.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
its not about rushing... its about him outperforming Strome and Puljujarvi...
not likely considering his age and size but shouldnt really be that difficult a task either.

Puljujarvi put up better numbers in the AHL last year than Filip Forsberg did, I think we should stop slacking him.

Besides we don't need Yamamoto this year and part of his value is getting cheap ELC deals out of him just as our Cup window is opening.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
that Skyler Brindamour interview is the best prospect interview i've ever seen (no sarcasm)

draft criticism rescinded.

He kept moving side to side the entire time. Kind of reminded me of this.

Last edited:

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
Neither have I. Probably because they were in the Q. Twin sons of Petr.

Kevin: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=283908

Kelly: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=283907

Interesting....
kevin-and-kelly-klima-wildcats.JPG

They are 20 years of age, and smallish 5'9" 172 lbs.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I will never get enough of these crazy long, multi-part questions that they ask these poor ESL kids in their interviews. You can just see their face as the question just doesn't end, and they respond with some generic "Yes, it was fun and good."

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
ASK AN OILER with Kailer Yamamoto, Brief Summary:

How's the camp been so far?
It's been hard, but it's been a lot of fun. Meeting all the guys and staff, been a lot of fun.

How's the nerves since the draft in Chicago?
It's been a lot less stressful knowing that I'm with the team I want, knowing it's the Oilers, much better.

Growing up, what team was your fapourite to watch:
Big Crosby fan, he was my favorite player, probably still my favorite player, so obviously Pittsburgh.

Were you rooting for them this past Cup Final?
Was but not anymore, Oiler fan now *chuckles heartily*

Do you have any superstitions you subscribe to?
Never liked superstitions, kind of messes with my head. Just got a few stretches I stick to. I guess I tie my right skate first, just routine.

What would be your dream linemates?
McDavid and Crosby. Obviously haha. That would be insane, don't even know if I could picture that right now. I guess I'd just try to play skilled as possible. Probably wouldn't even touch the puck, just give it to one of them.

What's your current favorite song, top 3?
I don't even know. The iPod has some country, older song Sangarita. Usually, whatever the boys are playing, I don't really look songs up. I have no say in pregame, don't even go near the iPod.

What arena are you most excited about besides Rogers Place?
North Dakota, played U18 Worlds there, one of the nicest. Whole concession is like marble and stuff. NHL arena is gonna be Pittsburgh.

Describe the moment after selection, and maybe the few hours after.
Definitely a whirlwind. Felt like a 20 minute walk to that stage, and the media and everything after. Part that stood out for me after, I went over to Edmonton's hotel they were staying at, I got to meet Wayne Gretzky, it was insane, one of my childhood idols, I'll never be able to describe the moment. Told a lot of stories from back in the day, I just listened to him.

What's your offseason looking like, what's the plan before training camp?
Take a few days off after this development camp, get right back in the gym. World junior camp. Get bigger and stronger.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Game over, Team Gretzky wins 9-5.

Scorers:

GRETZKY

Yamamoto x 2
McLellan
Gambardella
Maksimov x 3
McPhee
Klima (Kevin)

MESSIER

Desharnais
Safin x 2
Berglund
Koch

Last edited:

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Maksimov was such a steal. Had a rough go of it with Saginaw but once he was traded he turned on the jets

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Vinny Desharnais potting a goal is a nice sign. I'm not expecting much from him, but any signs of offense are welcome.

I hope he gets to play with DD at some point in his career. It would be pretty funny having two Desharnais', but with a whole foot in height difference.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Berglund's wraparound with Graber blowing a tire on the way to the celebration is my highlight of the night.

Looking like we've got more than enough skill coming from the right side of defence with Bear, Mantha and Berglund.

Paigin looking pretty smooth too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad