Pre-Game Talk: Detroit Red Wings @ Your Toronto Maple Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
if the point is that Jake was out so he could learn - it's time for him to apply it. the end.

Tyler Biggs*

Leafs are slowly starting to establish that hard hitting, fast skating identity that made them successful 2 seasons ago. Loving the 3rd line, as they've set the tone for the team the last 2 games. Have to get Gardiner back in the line up, but man Percy looks like he's got all the tools to be a legit pro.

Tyler Biggs*

It's safe to say when the Leafs move their feet and play hard they win, out shooting an opponent 40-24 you will win more than lose!

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Robidas is probably going to be playing against Detroit. Once Percy's play starts declining, Gardiner should be back in. That being said, I really do feel that Percy may end up developing into a lesser Josi-type defenceman.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
It's safe to say when the Leafs move their feet and play hard they win, out shooting an opponent 40-24 you will win more than lose!

Let's hope.

We were losing in the corsi department until the second half of the game. Colorado, a notoriously bad corsi team was playing their second of back to back games.

The win was not that impressive, and I hope others realize this. Everyone is so high after a win and then its trade everyone mode when we lose.

Things are the same as last year as far as I can see.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Robidas can still lead by example by sitting in the press box. Good teammate and all. He clearly is rusty after rehabbing his broken leg. He missed a few pre season games. He could use the time to ease into the lineup.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Robidas can still lead by example by sitting in the press box. Good teammate and all. He clearly is rusty after rehabbing his broken leg. He missed a few pre season games. He could use the time to ease into the lineup.

Yeah Robidad needs to probably sit out a game for now.

He was great in pre-season but I think missing most of the pre-season is getting to him.

I was worried he'd pull a Beauchemin... and that's what he's doing.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Toronto needs to keep building on their last performance which was solid all around against Colorado in the back to back with Detroit.

I'm expecting at least a split in these game with one even being a 3 pointer.

You have to beat the teams you hope to finish ahead of even this early in the season.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
they looked good against the super speedy avalanche.

Not really.

Giving up a breakaway to Duchene with the game on the line was not "looking good." The unforced giveaways in our own zone were not "looking good."

Just because you win the game doesn't mean the mistakes didn't happen. Franson and Phaneuf together is asking for a lot of trouble.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I would think Gardiner will draw back in Friday. Wouldn't surprise me if Panik sits and they go 7 d.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Not really.

Giving up a breakaway to Duchene with the game on the line was not "looking good." The unforced giveaways in our own zone were not "looking good."

Just because you win the game doesn't mean the mistakes didn't happen. Franson and Phaneuf together is asking for a lot of trouble.

I don't think I've ever seen a game played by any Team(s) that's mistake free.
Leaf fans tend to dwell on theirs more.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I would think Gardiner will draw back in Friday. Wouldn't surprise me if Panik sits and they go 7 d.

I think it's the way to go. If the Carlyle and the Leafs won't play the 4th line more then that, might as well sit one of them to put in a player that can at least have a big impact with 15 ish minutes.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Let's hope.

We were losing in the corsi department until the second half of the game. Colorado, a notoriously bad corsi team was playing their second of back to back games.

The win was not that impressive, and I hope others realize this. Everyone is so high after a win and then its trade everyone mode when we lose.

Back to back is no excuse, not this early in the year with such a young team.

I actually like our start better than last year. Then we were winning games but only cause our goalies were stealing them for us. We just barely lost to MTL, could be 3-1 right now.

Of course it's early and we could lose the next 6 in a row. But give credit where credit is due, the win over COL was a very good game!

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Back to back is no excuse, not this early in the year with such a young team.

I actually like our start better than last year. Then we were winning games but only cause our goalies were stealing them for us. We just barely lost to MTL, could be 3-1 right now.

Of course it's early and we could lose the next 6 in a row. But give credit where credit is due, the win over COL was a very good game!

I can't imagine giving the Leafs the excuse of looking bad because they played the night before. Yuck.

We have the most back to backs this year anyway... teams won't get sympathy from me for that.

It's early but the Leafs have played 3 solid games, winning 2 of them and losing one, and one major stinker. Hopefully the stinker is not something we'll witness too many times.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I can't imagine giving the Leafs the excuse of looking bad because they played the night before. Yuck.

We have the most back to backs this year anyway... teams won't get sympathy from me for that.

It's early but the Leafs have played 3 solid games, winning 2 of them and losing one, and one major stinker. Hopefully the stinker is not something we'll witness too many times.

Exactly! This "oh were so tired because we played last night ..." - I don't want to hear it. Suck it up guys. You're professional hockey players, not professional whiners.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Let's hope.

Didn't the Leafs play back to back at MSG?

I agree in a sense that the Leafs didn't dominate for 60 mins, the Avs looked better out of the gate.
From my seat, the 3rd line was the only line that played a solid 60 mins.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Leafs are committed to play a right - left defence. Gardiner should play, because sitting a 4.05M cap hit makes no sense, this is why I was against his contract this summer.

His time may be limited to PP mins.

Maybe Jake can get some 4th line mins with Kozun and Holland.

It's an interesting combination of Kozun's speed with Gardiner's speed.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Don't like the idea of Phaneuf-Franson vs Detroit, it will be exploited. Colorado is a fast team, but they are basically the Western version of us, terrible if you look at advanced stats.

I also would never do the Gardiner-Reilly pairing again. I'd go with -

Gardiner-Phaneuf
Reilly-Franson
Percy-Polak

and give Robidas the Friday game off as part of the back to back and then sit the weakest link on Saturday (if there is a weak link)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Don't like the idea of Phaneuf-Franson vs Detroit, it will be exploited. Colorado is a fast team, but they are basically the Western version of us, terrible if you look at advanced stats.

I also would never do the Gardiner-Reilly pairing again. I'd go with -

Gardiner-Phaneuf
Reilly-Franson
Percy-Polak

and give Robidas the Friday game off as part of the back to back and then sit the weakest link on Saturday (if there is a weak link)

One problem, Who plays right defence? Leafs are committed to play Dion on the Left side this year.

I would take Franson on the right side over Gardiner on his off side anyday.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
One problem, Who plays right defence? Leafs are committed to play Dion on the Left side this year.

I would take Franson on the right side over Gardiner on his off side anyday.

What if you simply moved Phaneuf back to his right side for a game?

I don't like any of Robidas-Franson-Polak with Dion.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
What if you simply moved Phaneuf back to his right side for a game?

I don't like any of Robidas-Franson-Polak with Dion.

I don't believe this is going to happen, in the off season the Leafs spoke to Dion about committing to play on the Left side, he agreed. The Leafs seem to be firm on the Right and Left pairings model.

For Gardiner to get back in the line up, one of Rielly or Percy will have to play their ways out of the starting line up.

I see both improving this season, it is not something we Leafs fans should be wishing for, just so Gardiner gets to play. The best way for him to do this, is when he does have another chance, he needs to play well so he can earn his spot in the top 6.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I can't see any way that Franson doesn't play with Phanuef again. Robidas sits or the go 7 D.

:laugh: Gardiner is not going to play forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00