Detroit Red Wings 23/24 season thread

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Idk how the Red Wings/Flyers feel good about themselves.
There are a lot of crayons in the box besides black and white.

For Detroit, I can be frustrated about how they played for long stretches, and disappointed that they only have themselves to blame for missing the playoffs this year... while also excited about how Raymond developed, and seeing Edvinsson cut his teeth, and watching Larkin evolve from a somewhat immature player (frequent diving and complaining to the refs) into a better captain (leaving everything on the ice and wearing his heart on his sleeve during this rollercoaster of a year).

It's a hodgepodge of everything, not just a binary decision of good or bad.

Now don't get me wrong; if this summer is milquetoast and they try to run back a similar roster next year, I'll be pissed. Yzerman needs to scour the entire planet for ways to kick this thing forward another step or two, in addition to the kids continuing to trickle in and improve. But I'm certainly not viewing 2023-2024 as completely shameful with zero redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
So, should we do the season performance grades?

Larkin: our MVP, our heart and soul. A
Raymond: everything's been said. A+
Perron: when he was on, he was A- with some very timely goals. But more often than not he was a C. So -- B on average.
Kane: see Perron but better. B+
DBC: yes, he is third on the team with points but his relentless use of the Invisibility Cloak was infuriating. Totally useless when not scoring. B
Compher: I felt he punched above his weight. He did the best he could and came through at the most appropriate times. B+
Fabbri: you always expect him to be injured. I've never seen a player so easily beaten one-on-one as him. But he always gives it all he's got. B
Rasmussen: He's got the tools but he isn't using them. C+
Copp: C-
Sprong: C
Veleno: See Rasmussen C+
Fischer: kinda exceeded expectations. B
Czarnik: expected nothing, got that. C

Gostisbehere: People love to hate on him, and he generally sucks at defense, but he is the most offensively talented d-man we've had since Rafalski. B+
Seider: always had the toughest assignments. B+
Petri: started bad, improved towards the end of the season. B-
Walman: B+
Chiarot: played better than last year but still mediocre. C+
Edvinsson: B+. Great potential. Made some rookie mistakes but defense without him and with him is like two different teams.
Maatta: C+
Holl: C-

Husso: D
Reimer: C-
Lyon: had an "A" stretch, then became a D

Coaching: C-. Some decisions were puzzling, some downright horrendous. I believe, had Yzerman fired Lalonde in the middle of March, we would've made playoffs.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad