Proposal: Detroit-Edmonton

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Except a brain.

He learned how to play defense from the Brendan Smith school for kids who can't play defense good and who wanna learn how to do other hockey stuff good, too.

Recent alumni from this school include but are not limited to:
Dennis Cholowski
Madison Bowey (He made the dean's list)
Jakub Kindl
Ryan Sproul
Xavier Oullet

Adjunct instructors:
Trevor Daley
Luca Sbisa
Brandon Manning

Tenured professors:
Kevin Shattenkirk, who teaches 'How to pass across your crease: A primer to defensive decision making'
Carlo Colaiacovo, who teaches 'How to look good while sliding into the boards'
Dylan McIlrath, who teaches 'Hook, hold, slash and fight: How to stay in the AHL for life.'

Professor Emeritus:
Martin Skoula for his excellent work in the teaching of 'Having puck poise while panicking on the inside'.

Dean:
Brendan Smith, who also teaches a seminar titled, 'Should you pinch? Yes. Always.'
I'm guessing you haven't seen enough of Broberg to have this take be taken the least bit seriously.

Reactions: TFHockey

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I'm guessing you haven't seen enough of Broberg to have this take be taken the least bit seriously.

I've watched a ton of Skelleftea games this year. Broberg reminds me of a dumber Jack Johnson. A ton of athelticism, incredibly poor decision making.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Except a brain.

He learned how to play defense from the Brendan Smith school for kids who can't play defense good and who wanna learn how to do other hockey stuff good, too.

Dennis Cholowski
Jakub Kindl
Ryan Sproul
Xavier Oullet

Adjunct instructors:
Trevor Daley
Luca Sbisa
Brandon Manning

Tenured professors:
Kevin Shattenkirk, who teaches 'How to pass across your crease: A primer to defensive decision making'
Dylan McIlrath, who teaches 'Hook, hold, slash and fight: How to stay in the AHL for life.'

Professor Emeritus:
Martin Skoula for his excellent work in the teaching of 'Having puck poise while panicking on the inside'.

Dean:
Brendan Smith, who also teaches a seminar titled, 'Should you pinch? Yes. Always.'

That’s what everyone said about Nurse . How does that look now that he’s in the Norris conversation.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Oilers are just in a strange spot for trades.
  1. We can't trade our picks or prospects, because we're not exactly positioned to be contenders yet.
  2. We have to send salary back.
  3. We have needs at most positions. Particularly depth.
Most of us are pretty realistic with where we are in our rebuild. We know this year isn't the year and we don't exactly want to gut the future betting on the chances this team goes on a run.

We aren't giving up a 1st for 15 games of a mediocre player, and we don't have our 2nd to trade.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Oilers are just in a strange spot for trades.
  1. We can't trade our picks or prospects, because we're not exactly positioned to be contenders yet.
  2. We have to send salary back.
  3. We have needs at most positions. Particularly depth.
Most of us are pretty realistic with where we are in our rebuild. We know this year isn't the year and we don't exactly want to gut the future betting on the chances this team goes on a run.

We aren't giving up a 1st for 15 games of a mediocre player, and we don't have our 2nd to trade.
This. We have 3 major holes to fill (2nd line LW, 3rd line C, goalie of the future), plus we could improve our overall depth. We have some prospects, but need performing players on ELC's over the next few years to balance our big salaries. We have traded our 2nd already. We have no cap space. So unless a lot of things align, we won't be doing much this trade deadline. Things aligning would almost certainly have to include at minimum Turris, Kassian or Koskinen being traded, but possibly Neal, and I don't see any of the four being moved, as we would either need to pay to move them, or wouldn't get the type of player back that we need anyway. The only trade I see us making is if our first goes out, and it is not a rental coming back. So a package of Koskinen/1st/something else for a long term starter perhaps. I don't see how a trade for a significant forward even works.

Last edited:

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Gutting? A guy who cant make the Oilers at 22 and one other prospect? How is that gutting?

It takes a 1st + on its own just to get rod of Neal so youre probably looking at:
Broberg
1st
2nd
Benson
Neal

For a player like Mantha

For a guy with a high of what? 48 points? Come on man. Mantha is a good player but that is all. He is no star.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
For a guy with a high of what? 48 points? Come on man. Mantha is a good player but that is all. He is no star.
Want to check the pace hes played in those "48pt" seasons.

If you think his value is that of a 40pt player then thats on you

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Want to check the pace hes played in those "48pt" seasons.

If you think his value is that of a 40pt player then thats on you

Yah I understand all that, but at some point you have to look at actual production. If he continues to have injuries and never scores more than 48 points is he not a 48 point player. Because "pace" only goes so far. At some point a player has to play games and actually produce. He is also nearly 27 which is usually the end of a players peak. Now to be fair I dont expect him to be valued as a 48 point player in a trade. You have to balance out what he has done and what he could do if he ever stays healthy. But you dont value him as a 70 point player because that is what he might get if he played 82 games.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Ive already told you. When your linemates are awful, your PP is awful, and your team as a whole is awful then you wont put up points.

Ill use your logic and value Yamamoto as a 20-30pt guy then as well. Until he does more that's all he is

Yamamoto has played part of one season. Not several seasons. Try again.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Except a brain.

Dennis Cholowski
Jakub Kindl
Ryan Sproul
Xavier Oullet

Adjunct instructors:
Trevor Daley
Luca Sbisa
Brandon Manning

Tenured professors:

Professor Emeritus:

Dean:

How many times have you seen him play?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Most.
Most what?
Broberg has all the tools to be a beast.

Yes, I do.
Broberg has always been more of a project than a ready-made prospect.
Broberg looked great at the WJC before he was hurt.

It's absolutely hilarious to me that MBH is rushing to defend Broberg not quite living up to expectations thusfar, considering he's notorious for incessantly bashing every Wings prospect that doesn't live up to his ridiculous standard.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
How many times have you seen him play?

Between 15 and 20 times this season, or somewhere around there. I've watched a lot of Skelleftea games trying to get a glimpse of Jonatan Berggren. Broberg was more noticeable this year in a negative way than a positive one, even before his WJC muscle tear injury. Broberg will be a player in the NHL for a long time because of his athleticism and his tools but he's going to leave people wondering why he can't put it together for a consistent stretch of time.

The guy is a great skater and he's a great puckhandler when skating forward. Needs to improve his puck control when moving laterally or backwards. Can play physical but needs to be better at picking his spots. Has an incredibly hard shot that is incredibly inaccurate and will probably clock someone in the head sometime during his NHL career with it. Can make some ill-timed pinches that end up as rushes towards his goal and then choose to not make the easy pinch the very next shift for fear of screwing up again.

If he can put it all together then Broberg has it in him to be a Rasmus Ristolainen 2.0 or a Jack Johnson in his LAK/CBJ days. Average defensively 30-40 point defenseman that relies on his physical tools more than smart positioning and precision to put some points on the board. I'm skeptical about him ever putting it all together.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
It's absolutely hilarious to me that MBH is rushing to defend Broberg not quite living up to expectations thusfar, considering he's notorious for incessantly bashing every Wings prospect that doesn't live up to his ridiculous standard.

Well, you see these are other people's prospects. Shiny new toy syndrome is very real with him.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Between 15 and 20 times this season, or somewhere around there. I've watched a lot of Skelleftea games trying to get a glimpse of Jonatan Berggren. Broberg was more noticeable this year in a negative way than a positive one, even before his WJC muscle tear injury. Broberg will be a player in the NHL for a long time because of his athleticism and his tools but he's going to leave people wondering why he can't put it together for a consistent stretch of time.

The guy is a great skater and he's a great puckhandler when skating forward. Needs to improve his puck control when moving laterally or backwards. Can play physical but needs to be better at picking his spots. Has an incredibly hard shot that is incredibly inaccurate and will probably clock someone in the head sometime during his NHL career with it. Can make some ill-timed pinches that end up as rushes towards his goal and then choose to not make the easy pinch the very next shift for fear of screwing up again.

If he can put it all together then Broberg has it in him to be a Rasmus Ristolainen 2.0 or a Jack Johnson in his LAK/CBJ days. Average defensively 30-40 point defenseman that relies on his physical tools more than smart positioning and precision to put some points on the board. I'm skeptical about him ever putting it all together.

People said the same of Nurse. All physical tools but no brains. How does that take look now?

All flaws common to young defensemen.

Almost everyone agrees his ceiling is higher than this.

Lots of people said the same of Puljujarvi. Maturity in a hockey player can correct a lot of warts in their game.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
People said the same of Nurse. All physical tools but no brains. How does that take look now?

Lots of people said the same of Puljujarvi. Maturity in a hockey player can correct a lot of warts in their game.
But... Bustjarvi is still bad...

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

People also said the same thing about Brendan Smith.

It doesn't mean he's going to end up being as good or better than Nurse. It also doesn't mean he's going to be as bad or worse than Brendan Smith. What we have is a range of outcomes that swing wildly in either direction because we simply don't know if Broberg is going to be able to develop a high enough hockey IQ to be an impact player. These are guys that had flashes of brilliance. In Nurse's case he found the consistency to become what he is today. In Smith's case his flashes became fewer and far between. Shit happens. Broberg is a project, and more often than not project players fail or don't meet expectations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad