Proposal: Detroit-Edmonton

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Detroit is rebuilding, Edmonton should make a push this year while McDavid/Draisaitl are in some of their peak years

Mantha for Neal + Broberg + Benson

Mantha is 27 now, trying to put myself in Yzerman's shoes, you'd have to imagine that you're planning on making the playoffs in the next 3 seasons, contending in 4-5 years, which by that point Manth's peak in performance and value will have passed. Getting a blue-chip prospect like Broberg would be a priority, he could become a cornerstone on their up and coming defense next to Seider. He is definitely considered the Oiler's #1 prospect.
Benson while not a blue chipper is showing NHL potential, the 2016 32nd overall has been a top scorer in the AHL going on 3 years, hasn't really gotten a shot in Edmonton. He's currently 2nd in the AHL in points, he could be an upgrade on someone like Gagner.
Neal's here to offset salary, obviously a big downgrade from Mantha, but might not be a bad veteran to have, he still potted 19 goals in 55 games last year (largely due to McDrai though). He has 2 years left on his contract (he expires before some of Detroit's high picks will be coming off ELCs)

Edmonton would go for this as it's a big upgrade in their top 6 which doesn't detract any pieces from a roster that's currently working well. Mantha has 3 more years so the hope would be he can ride shotgun to one of McDavid/Draisaitl and utilize his nice shot. He has a caphit of 5.7 million which is a little high considering he's never hit over 50 points, but the hope would be his numbers would spike leaving Detroit for an offensive team like Edmonton. The Oilers should make a move for a sizable add because McDrai won't be preforming at this level forever, and this year presents a unique opportunity of getting to the semifinals as Jets/Leafs are an easier path there than West and East divisions for sure.

Is it close? I think the basis of a EDM futures for Mantha seems like a relatively logical idea, it's just a matter of agreeing on those futures.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
This is horrible for Detroit.

Neal is a cap dump, so let's just say Benson is the price Edmonton pays to get rid of Neal.

That means it's Mantha straight up for Broberg. Awful. I like Broberg, but he is not the centerpiece of a trade that gets a signed, prime winger like Mantha.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
How has Broberg been coming along?

A bit disappointing for an 8th OA some would say if you expect a top 2 star, in line with what you would expect from a young Dman with future top 4 potential. It is hard to compare Swedish prospects. Ekholm and Ekman Larsson stayed longer in the Allsvenskan than Broberg, who is in his second season in the SHL. He needs to improve the offensive aspect of his game, while gaining experience as all youngsters need to as far as defensive aspects goes

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Edmonton adds a first for Detroit to take Neal's contract (Staal cost a second, Neal has 1 more year than him at the same cap hit). Neal is a cap dump no matter how you sugar coat it and Benson doesn't move the needle, Edmonton has been looking for forward depth for years and he still hasn't been able to make the team.

Even that relies on Mantha for Broberg being interesting or fair value for Detroit, which I'm not sure it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
At this point, I don't think Benson has a lot of value. Still hasn't made the Oilers, who aren't exactly loaded up on great middle tier forwards. Broberg is a great piece, but not when you tag on Neal and Benson.

I have no problem trading Mantha to anyone, but the price needs to be better than this.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
2 things I notice in 9 out of 10 trade proposals on HFboards involving the Oilers

1. They always involve Broberg
2. the comments are filled with Broberg is not that good

Very confusing given he seems to be the piece everyone asks for

Second I see Broberg I pass personally.
I'd love to see Benson moved because he's one of my fav Oil Prospects and he's not getting a fair chance and I think he's a legit NHL player.
I don't know much about Mantha but he is a RW (which could be wrong, using NHL.com)... we are currently good at RW. It's our LW that needs help.
JP
Yam
Kassian
Archi
Chiasson

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
"Mantha for Neal + Broberg + Benson"

Easy no for the Detroit Red Wings.

Bad contract Neal James = minimum 1st 2021 (optimal 1st 2021 +)
Mantha for Broberg + Benson - I think Wings says no.

To conclude a deal:

EDM:

Mantha

DET:

Neal
1st 2021
Broberg
? ? ? - UNKNOWN CANDIDATE (Benson doesn't fit).

Detroit is ready to listen.
Detroit will think.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
2 things I notice in 9 out of 10 trade proposals on HFboards involving the Oilers

1. They always involve Broberg
2. the comments are filled with Broberg is not that good

Very confusing given he seems to be the piece everyone asks for
Don't think Detroit fans are all that interested in Broberg. Albert Johansson who was drafted the same year and is also a LHD is vastly outperforming him.
Broberg has great tools and flashes brilliance, but you can't value him in trade based on his absolute upside, you have to look at how he is actually performing.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
To det
Turris
Marody
Lennstrom
P. Russell

to edm
Glendening
Raymond
wait why? as an oil fan why would the wings do this?

Thats a high end prospect for literally fringe NHL talent. Would you trade Bouchard, Broberg or Holloway for Turris+Marody+Lennstrom+Russell?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
LOL As if Oil fans are going to be cool with gutting their prospect pool before they've even made it the semi finals in a playoff run.
Not happening.
Benson will probably be playing for the Oilers full time next year, but he's also probably expendable to some degree.
Broberg on the other hand, is not something we can afford to piss away.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
wait why? as an oil fan why would the wings do this?

Thats a high end prospect for literally fringe NHL talent. Would you trade Bouchard, Broberg or Holloway for Turris+Marody+Lennstrom+Russell?

He would probably take on Frans Nielsen, and a 2028 conditional 7th rounder for all that waste coming our way!:)

VA Oil

Oiler fan in Virginia
Dec 3, 2010
Danville, VA
At this point, I don't think Benson has a lot of value. Still hasn't made the Oilers, who aren't exactly loaded up on great middle tier forwards. Broberg is a great piece, but not when you tag on Neal and Benson.

I have no problem trading Mantha to anyone, but the price needs to be better than this.

I don't disagree with his value, as I think it's low. But, this season has been weird. I fully believe in a normal year Benson would most likely be playing on the Oilers right now (or least have been up and down a few times). As it is, he would need to be in a 2 week quarantine before playing for a Canadian team. Don't see that happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad