Proposal: Detroit-Edmonton

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
This thread brings back memories. I remember when Brendan Smith was hyped at this stud-can't-miss prospect and at the same time Jeff Petry was dismissed as nothing prospect because he played in a crappy Spartan team and was a 2nd rounder and drafted by the Oilers.

And Madison Bowey. Don't get me started on him. He was on Draisaitl's WHL Rocket team and I thought he was one of the worst D-man... he rovered around and didn't care to play a lick of defense. Clague/Durzi are my new whipping boys these days.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
The difference between watching the games and just looking at a stat box is the difference between knowing WTF you are talking about and not.
I do agree somewhat. There's a poster in the Mantha to Montreal thread that has claimed to have never seen Romanov play but is telling everyone exactly what he will and won't become.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Kenny would never trade Broberg imo. That was his first draft pick and kind of went out on a limb for him. I could see him possibly trading Bouchard due to the Oilers having a logjam at RD (mind you, Barrie and Larsson are UFAs this year)

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Between 15 and 20 times this season, or somewhere around there. I've watched a lot of Skelleftea games trying to get a glimpse of Jonatan Berggren. Broberg was more noticeable this year in a negative way than a positive one, even before his WJC muscle tear injury. Broberg will be a player in the NHL for a long time because of his athleticism and his tools but he's going to leave people wondering why he can't put it together for a consistent stretch of time.

The guy is a great skater and he's a great puckhandler when skating forward. Needs to improve his puck control when moving laterally or backwards. Can play physical but needs to be better at picking his spots. Has an incredibly hard shot that is incredibly inaccurate and will probably clock someone in the head sometime during his NHL career with it. Can make some ill-timed pinches that end up as rushes towards his goal and then choose to not make the easy pinch the very next shift for fear of screwing up again.

If he can put it all together then Broberg has it in him to be a Rasmus Ristolainen 2.0 or a Jack Johnson in his LAK/CBJ days. Average defensively 30-40 point defenseman that relies on his physical tools more than smart positioning and precision to put some points on the board. I'm skeptical about him ever putting it all together.

That sounds a lot like pretty much every young dman...

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Bad trade for Detroit, they're taking on a major cap dump of garbage in Neal, and a meh prospect in Benson. Broberg is a decent piece but in no way gets you Mantha. IF Detroit is taking on Neal, take out Benson, add a first rounder.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
That sounds a lot like pretty much every young dman...

Not really.

Some guys just have 'it' when it comes to making smart decisions on the ice. Drysdale, Sanderson are two examples from the most recent draft. Owen Power in the 2021 draft (after a shaky start) is an example of a guy from the next draft.

Some players need to work on this a little bit like Bowen Byram and assessing risk, or Ekblad when he first broke into the league.

Then there are some guys who are drafted that need a lot of work in this area. Another from the most recent draft is William Wallinder who has all the same tools and questionmarks as Broberg; elite skating, hard shot, good stickhandler, but sometimes looks lost.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Not really.

Some guys just have 'it' when it comes to making smart decisions on the ice. Drysdale, Sanderson are two examples from the most recent draft. Owen Power in the 2021 draft (after a shaky start) is an example of a guy from the next draft.

Some players need to work on this a little bit like Bowen Byram and assessing risk, or Ekblad when he first broke into the league.

Then there are some guys who are drafted that need a lot of work in this area. Another from the most recent draft is William Wallinder who has all the same tools and questionmarks as Broberg; elite skating, hard shot, good stickhandler, but sometimes looks lost.

Yah I call bs on the "some guys" take. Realistically we are talking about the vast majority of young dmen needing a lot of experience to develop. It is a rare few that make all smart decisions without substantial experience. Nurse is a perfect example. People used to say he had all the tools but had no hockey IQ and was not a smart player. If you watch him this year now that he has been around a few years he looks like a norris calibre dman. Anyone that thinks they can realistically know how a 19 or 20 year old dman will turn out doesnt have a clue. If a dman has strong physical tools at a young age he has a good chance of being a solid dman when he has more time on the ice espescially when he can start learning from real pro players and the best coaches in the world. The guys that look like finished products at 20 are few and far between.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad