GDT: Detroit at Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Eddie Lack has a .950 save percentage and a 1.25 GAA over his last 6 games.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
That D lineup. lolololol.

Who woulda thought 2 years ago it would look like that.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
That D lineup. lolololol.

Who woulda thought 2 years ago it would look like that.
That's a hell of a D group.

The fact this team isn't dead last in the league actually gives me some confidence in the strength of our forward group.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Can't say I agree with this. There is no franchise player in this draft worth tanking for. They won't suddenly slip out of a top 7 pick. Go hard until the end and lets see what happens

worth tanking for?

As opposed to winning out? What do we gain from that? I'll take the better but still not franchise player with a few more losses as opposed to winning out and getting zilch.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
worth tanking for?

As opposed to winning out? What do we gain from that? I'll take the better but still not franchise player with a few more losses as opposed to winning out and getting zilch.

Well there is zero situation where Detroit gets "zilch" so save us the hyperbole.

More importantly, I'd rather see development from the young guys that carries the team to a strong record down the stretch than a marginally better draft pick. Given that many are suggesting players ranked 3-9(ish) are basically in the same tier, there really is little benefit in moving up a spot or two, especially if it means the guys of the future continue to struggle as the season closes out.

They are staring down the barrel of a top 10 pick so either way a quality player should be added.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
More importantly, I'd rather see development from the young guys that carries the team to a strong record down the stretch than a marginally better draft pick. Given that many are suggesting players ranked 3-9(ish) are basically in the same tier, there really is little benefit in moving up a spot or two.

This is all I'm rooting for. Would prefer not to win meaningless games, but if that's what comes from Larkin playing C consistently, and Mantha and AA not getting 12:00/game, then whatever, I guess. I'll just cross my fingers that Liljegren or someone else I like falls a bit.

No interest in, for instance, running Z for 26 minutes just to try to eke out a few points that don't matter, though.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
This is how you do marketing right (remember, this is a makeup for the game that was canceled due to poor ice conditions) :

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Well there is zero situation where Detroit gets "zilch" so save us the hyperbole.

Zilch meaning the difference between tanking and not tanking. Either way we get a pick. But the benefit in not tanking is zero. It doesn't get us more picks. It doesn't get us a higher pick. It gives us no benefits whatsoever.
More importantly, I'd rather see development from the young guys that carries the team to a strong record down the stretch than a marginally better draft pick. Given that many are suggesting players ranked 3-9(ish) are basically in the same tier, there really is little benefit in moving up a spot or two, especially if it means the guys of the future continue to struggle as the season closes out.

Hey I wanted to call up Frk and Nosek and Hicketts maybe even Svech. I wanted to see exactly what we had in our young guys, win or lose. I've been wanting to ride our younger regulars for a while now too. Again, we get nothing out of playing Z the minutes he's getting. He's proving he's a warrior who can still make a huge impact, but we're still bottom of the league. It doesn't improve our picks, doesn't give us more picks, doesn't do anything for us. If anything it's a detriment.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Zilch meaning the difference between tanking and not tanking. Either way we get a pick. But the benefit in not tanking is zero. It doesn't get us more picks. It doesn't get us a higher pick. It gives us no benefits whatsoever.

Guys playing hard benefits the organization. I also have full confidence that they can grab a good contributing player between spots 6-12

Hey I wanted to call up Frk and Nosek and Hicketts maybe even Svech. I wanted to see exactly what we had in our young guys, win or lose. I've been wanting to ride our younger regulars for a while now too. Again, we get nothing out of playing Z the minutes he's getting. He's proving he's a warrior who can still make a huge impact, but we're still bottom of the league. It doesn't improve our picks, doesn't give us more picks, doesn't do anything for us. If anything it's a detriment.

Might as well just bench Z, Green, and Nielsen for the rest of the season
**** the fan experience, **** a culture of being competitive, ****ing having pride in the organization, **** the young kids development.

Im sure all of that provides zilch value to the organization as well :sarcasm:

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
worth tanking for?

It's good to see effort from the fan perspectiv. If there was a McEichel situation I would absolutely embrace zero effort. As far as I can tell there's not much, if anything, to gain from securing a higher pick.

I'm more eager to see if Vegas picks up a contract than our draft pick.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Is this the first triple back to back for a team in NHL history? Can you imagine us winning all 3 games? Would be the only time a team has done it I would think.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I seriously doubt we make up 6 points over both Florida and LA in 8 games to pick outside the top ten.

DATS-O-MATIC

Nov 23, 2004
Is this the first triple back to back for a team in NHL history? Can you imagine us winning all 3 games? Would be the only time a team has done it I would think.

No, the Rangers had 3 games in a row (as their regular NHL schedule) several years back. It wasn't even a make up game like our situation.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I'm pretty pumped to see Carolina again. Last game I saw vs. the Leafs they were a speedy team and fun to watch. Aho, Skinner, Rask, Teravainen (Winger89's favorite :)), with Faulk, Hanifin, Murphy on D...these guys can play some hockey. Hard to believe they're 16 million under the cap. How can Karmanos get away with not investing fully in the team? Craziness.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I seriously doubt we make up 6 points over both Florida and LA in 8 games to pick outside the top ten.

would only take one of them because of Vegas not both

anyways honestly in the back half of the top 10 a draft pick or two could either make no difference or all the difference in the world and there's really no way of telling beforehand

teams start to have very different draft rankings when you get to that point and having the guy you wanted taken right before you pick could easily be the difference between ending up with a star or a bust

or you get the guy you wanted anyways and it doesn't end up making any difference at all

really no way to know till after the fact

WFIAA

Aug 2, 2016
How do you bench Nosek now that Helm is back? First to be benched should be Sheahan, next Miller. I'd bench Glendening over Nosek. Worse, Helm to start on the 4th line? Blash is an idiot, though it might help the tank at this point...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad