GDT: Detroit at Carolina, 7 p.m.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
In November while this team was third in the Atlantic? Why would Holland do that?

If teams wanted goaltending then they could have had Mrazek basically for free. No one wanted him.

Because Holland should have known, looking at this team, that regardless of where they were in the standings, they were going to be hardpressed to be any serious team.

Well they aren't spending over $9 million in goaltending again next season. If they can't move Howard then they walk away from Mrazek. I don't see any other scenario to make it work unless Zetterberg and Kronwall "retire" and those contracts are moved to Phoenix.

So, waste the 25 year old because you can't move the 34 year old.
Good thinking.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
look man I get it, Mrazek was awful for the better part of a year

but the team owes it to itself to go with youth as we rebuild

the absolute worst thing that will happen is this, mrazek sucks

so what.

we dont have a young 19, 20 or 21 year old upstart goalie beating at the door in our system and howard will never be here when the team is decent/good again but mrazek will or could be

Bingo.

You still have to betting on youth here.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Because Holland should have known, looking at this team, that regardless of where they were in the standings, they were going to be hardpressed to be any serious team.

So, waste the 25 year old because you can't move the 34 year old.
Good thinking.
You think teams were calling asking about Howard in November? lol

I’m ok with dumping a soon-to-be free agent goalie that hasn’t proven anything in this league if it means I get to keep Larkin, Mantha, etc.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
possibly

however the rumours that we talked with Edmonton about mrazek in Nov didn't seem to imply that Edmonton said "we will take him for free." It sounded more like Holland wanted more then absolute zero return

is howard in your mind worth absolutely nothing?
is mrazek is your mind worth absolutely nothing

fair enough if the answer is yes

but to me "something" is good enough when it comes to Howard

ie, howard to the NYI for a conditional 2019 7th, condition being they win the stanley cup

What if it was a 14th overall and a conditional 7th (and we get Mrazek)
Or 4th overall and 3rd (we keep Howard)?

What if Howard sucks so bad he allows us to draft 4th overall, but with Mrazek heating up we climb to in the standings where we draft top 15? That doesn't seem like such a good deal for a rebuilding team.

Wings are rebuilding, asset management is more important than keep a goalie that might be 31 by the time we start competing again.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
What if it was a 14th overall and a conditional 7th (and we get Mrazek)
Or 4th overall and 3rd (we keep Howard)?

What if Howard sucks so bad he allows us to draft 4th overall, but with Mrazek heating up we climb to in the standings where we draft top 15? That doesn't seem like such a good deal for a rebuilding team.

Wings are rebuilding, asset management is more important than keep a goalie that might be 31 by the time we start competing again.

Wow. 4 weeks ago you were saying we need Howard because he gives us the best chance to win.
Now you're saying we need Howard because Mrazek gives us the best chance to win.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
You think teams were calling asking about Howard in November? lol

I’m ok with dumping a soon-to-be free agent goalie that hasn’t proven anything in this league if it means I get to keep Larkin, Mantha, etc.

It takes 2 to trade.
Holland should be calling other teams, shopping his guys around.

You can do that by looking around the league and seeing who needs what and then making aggressive offers.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
It takes 2 to trade.
Holland should be calling other teams, shopping his guys around.

You can do that by looking around the league and seeing who needs what and then making aggressive offers.
Yeah you assume there are teams lining up to acquire Howard and Holland is sitting on his hands doing nothing about it. Your argument sucks. It's not fun to debate with you.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Wow. 4 weeks ago you were saying we need Howard because he gives us the best chance to win.
Now you're saying we need Howard because Mrazek gives us the best chance to win.

When Detroit was trying to win, Howard was the superior goalie. Since Holland officially announced DRWs are selling, Mrazek has been the better goalie. Do you want to play the hottest goalie after Holland all but said DRWs are tanking? I value the top 5 pick over the top 15 pick. To each of their own, I guess....

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Wa
When Detroit was trying to win, Howard was the superior goalie. Since Holland officially announced DRWs are selling, Mrazek has been the better goalie. Do you want to play the hottest goalie after Holland all but said DRWs are tanking? I value the top 5 pick over the top 15 pick. To each of their own, I guess....

Wait now you wanna actively tank?

Mrazek is soon to be 26. So you believe we won't be a competitive team for five more seasons?

If that's the case, shouldnt we dump anyone over 22 given

I sure believe we can be a playoff team well before five years after this one.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Wa

Wait now you wanna actively tank?

Mrazek is soon to be 26. So you believe we won't be a competitive team for five more seasons?

If that's the case, shouldnt we dump anyone over 22 given

I sure believe we can be a playoff team well before five years after this one.

I made an official announcement that I'm ready to lose for picks some time ago in a GDT. Each win is bitter sweet for me now. I love winning! But since our bad [constant] losing streak, I am ready to lose for picks now. Blashill isn't trying to lose... hence why he's playing the hot goalie right now.

You can't predict Red Wings will be a legit contender in 5 years. That seems very, very optimistic (and will be a HUGE let-down if Wings don't get lucky). Wings don't even have a franchise #1 dman yet. Heck, they don't even have a legit #2 yet. And as much as I like Larkin, he's not an elite #1 center. Wings do have good depth. But they don't have the pieces to confidently say "Yup! they'll be playing for a cup in 5 years!"

I think you're going to be very disappointed in 5 years if that is what you believe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad