GDT: Detroit at Carolina, 7 p.m.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Grate game , fun to watch . Didn't see much Green . Nyquist looks very good

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Oh no no no you guys are not jumping on the Petr train!!! You guys all wanted him traded for anything. You guys fallow Glass Jimmy.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Oh God here comes Mrazek's i told you so posse.

Mrazek was awful for a very long time. Lately he is very good. It's possible for these things to both be true. It's also okay to be tentatively optimistic for him based on his recent performance. It's also possible for him to show his inconsistency again and regress in the next few days or weeks.

Instead of being douches to each other why not just enjoy the hot hand while it lasts and see how far it gets us?

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Sad thing is that some Wings fans are absolutely in favour of dealing Mrazek for a 4th rounder. Boggles my mind.

It's gonna be awesome when the Red Wings finish 4-5 points out of the playoffs and everyone looks back and sees that they lost the season between Nov. 19 and and Dec. 27.

During that 16 game stretch:
Detroit won just 3 games.
Howard played in 15 of those games. He went 2-7-5 with an .880 save percentage and a 3.31 GAA.

That terrible stretch also mirrors the time when Athanasiou spent a lot of time on Line 4.

In those 16 games he averaged 13:45 a game.

Blashill woke up on AA.
But he refused to wake up on Mrazek until the season was basically lost.

Reactions: RedWingzz

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

Mrazek was awful for a very long time. Lately he is very good. It's possible for these things to both be true. It's also okay to be tentatively optimistic for him based on his recent performance. It's also possible for him to show his inconsistency again and regress in the next few days or weeks.

Instead of being *****es to each other why not just enjoy the hot hand while it lasts and see how far it gets us?

Because Blashill was a f***ing dumbass.
Nobody disputes that Mrazek sucked.

But when Howard was sucking wind from Nov. 19 to Dec. 27, Blashill needed to give to stop acting like Howard was Ken Dryden 2.0.

There were a lot of Wings fans on this board who supported Blashill's mistake.
Hence

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI

Instead of being *****es to each other why not just enjoy the hot hand while it lasts and see how far it gets us?
And what? I was told I did not know a thing and he sucked bla bla bla. No posse here just the same guy I always was!! It won't matter if here or on another team I will still watch him and root for him. Unlike most people on this page.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
There were a lot of Wings fans on this board who supported Blashill's mistake.

As did 30 other NHL general managers. Mrazek's been available for for trade pretty much all season. Team's weren't calling about him. Vegas didn't even want him for free. Let's stop pretending that Mrazek's last four game's make up for his entire body of work dating back to last season. I'm happy he's playing well but let's see if he can't hold it together before claiming management is clueless.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

I just think it's foolish when people say they want to trade a 25 year old, athletic, competitive, (yes, inconsistent) goalie for a 3rd or a 4th round pick. Yes, it's too bad his qualifying offer is over 4 million, but it is what it is. Even Holland isn't dumb enough to trade him for a mid-round pick and lose him for nothing. Then again, he did expose him to Vegas.

I don't care what your job is, if your boss only trusts you to perform every now and then, you will struggle. If your boss shows confidence in you, the results should improve. Imagine you're a doctor, and your boss says we only need you to come in once every couple weeks, because we don't really trust you. Or you're a teacher, and your principal says you only work one day every couple weeks because you aren't trusted at your job. How are you supposed to succeed? Sure my examples are exaggerations, but my point is that maybe Mrazek struggled so much because he didn't play a lot, and nobody believed in him.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
There have been calls for a more even goalie split and allow a guy playing well to get more games. They simple weren't giving him a chance and it was wrong. Mrazek lost his net, but he wasn't really given much of an opportunity to get it back. Howard certainly showed up ready to throw down on the goalie battle this year, but long after he fell back towards earth he was being treated as an automatic starter. It was wrong and it wasn't even a good idea given Howard's injury history.

It was something referenced continuously by several people. I had no problem running with Howard in October but he cooled down after and there should have been a fair time share and hot guy strategy at that point.

The organization went out of their way to trash Mrazek around the league. He needed to grow up a little too and put in a little more work. I am glad he fought through it. There will be peaks and valleys but he has a lot of talent. It is good to see him putting together a hot stretch. Lots of young goalies go up and down over their first several years, heck lots of vets have stretches of really bad play. Mrazek went through a big one, hopefully he is out and more consistent now, but we didn't handle it well as an organization. From the sounds of things he didn't handle it great either, but we shouldn't try to burn down bridges and the Wings spent most of 2017 trying to make sure the whole world gave up on the kid and it bothered a lot of us.

He might and will fall back off a little at some point, I will be curious to see if he can find a more consistent level when he does, but his A game is out of the world good, when he is on it is a sight to behold. We needed to take the lumps that come with a young goalie in my opinion and didn't do that as often as we should have. It will be interesting to see where this is as we move forward.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
There have been calls for a more even goalie split and allow a guy playing well to get more games. They simple weren't giving him a chance and it was wrong. Mrazek lost his net, but he wasn't really given much of an opportunity to get it back. Howard certainly showed up ready to throw down on the goalie battle this year, but long after he fell back towards earth he was being treated as an automatic starter. It was wrong and it wasn't even a good idea given Howard's injury history.

It was something referenced continuously by several people. I had no problem running with Howard in October but he cooled down after and there should have been a fair time share and hot guy strategy at that point.

The organization went out of their way to trash Mrazek around the league. He needed to grow up a little too and put in a little more work. I am glad he fought through it. There will be peaks and valleys but he has a lot of talent. It is good to see him putting together a hot stretch. Lots of young goalies go up and down over their first several years, heck lots of vets have stretches of really bad play. Mrazek went through a big one, hopefully he is out and more consistent now, but we didn't handle it well as an organization. From the sounds of things he didn't handle it great either, but we shouldn't try to burn down bridges and the Wings spent most of 2017 trying to make sure the whole world gave up on the kid and it bothered a lot of us.

He might and will fall back off a little at some point, I will be curious to see if he can find a more consistent level when he does, but his A game is out of the world good, when he is on it is a sight to behold. We needed to take the lumps that come with a young goalie in my opinion and didn't do that as often as we should have. It will be interesting to see where this is as we move forward.

Very well said. The Wings didn't treat him properly and on the other hand, Mrazek could have also handled it better. Regardless, he is obviously a talented goalie, and I hope as an organization they give him a chance next year. I have always been a fan, and will continue to follow him wether he is a Red Wing or not next year. I don't think all of the criticism has been warranted though.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
f*** Mantha. Get him off my team.

I don't mind playing a chippy game but cheapshotting some random guy in a "scrum" isn't proving anything to anyone other than you're just an asshole.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I love how Petr's fall is always attributed to some conspiracy about the organization trying to ruin him or mistreating the poor helpless boy... "Jimmy D made Helene smear him so George McPhee won't try and steal the worst NHL goalie from 16/17! How dare they be critical of a $4M goalie that plays like he makes $650k! It's not his fault, he's young, it's Blashill and the defenses fault!"

I'm glad that he's finally playing well again after almost 2 whole calendar years, but I won't blame the FO if they decide that the risk of him blowing it again still isn't worth the $4.15M QO.

And yea, I know.... That means I'm automatically choosing Howard as the goalie of the future or something like that.... :rolleyes:

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Mantha with 7 hits, 7 shots with 6 on goal.

I know he didn't get a point tonight, but I loved that game out of him. A lot of good efforts tonight. Honestly for me our most disappointing player was Larkin.

He definitely seems to be coming out of it; it being the little funk he's been mired in for the last few months.
I still think he is passing up shots that he should be taking too often and he is not driving the puck to the net the way he was early in the season. But he's starting to become a noticable factor again, hopefully that leads to confidence and scoring.
Great game by Mantha tonight.

Last edited:

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Sad thing is that some Wings fans are absolutely in favour of dealing Mrazek for a 4th rounder. Boggles my mind.

And many, I'd even say that most, were not. Seems petty to point that out now, but whatever.
Love that Petr has his swagger back, I really hope our management holds on to this guy.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
As did 30 other NHL general managers. Mrazek's been available for for trade pretty much all season. Team's weren't calling about him. Vegas didn't even want him for free. Let's stop pretending that Mrazek's last four game's make up for his entire body of work dating back to last season. I'm happy he's playing well but let's see if he can't hold it together before claiming management is clueless.

Did you take a poll of 30 GMs to find out if they supported playing Howard 15 times in 17 games while Howard was playing that awfully?

If not, then you obviously didn't read the post you responded to.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
**** Mantha. Get him off my team.

I don't mind playing a chippy game but cheapshotting some random guy in a "scrum" isn't proving anything to anyone other than you're just an *******.

Wee-Bey-Whoa-What.gif

Mantha was great tonight. Don't take a swipe at our goalies hand and get away from the crease. Also that was sparked by a busch league cross-check on him. The Canes got him riled up tonight, not a good idea to anger the big man. They probably learned that lesson tonight.

Mantha playing with fire is what we need more of. Hockey isn't a game for the faint of heart. I was glad the game was chippy, I think our younger guys engage a little more in that style of game, we have a rougher team than we used to.

Reactions: martinez

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
And many, I'd even say that most, were not. Seems petty to point that out now, but whatever.
Love that Petr has his swagger back, I really hope our management holds on to this guy.

It does seem petty.

But a month ago, if you advocated for the common sense solution, people were shouting you down as clueless and saying Mrazek would be in Europe next year and that he was worthless.

So it's hard not to rub some obnoxious noses in their folly.

New Howard vs Mrazek comparison

Howard - 2.82, .911, 38.8 win percent
Mrazek - 2.74, .914, 50 .0 win percent

Reactions: RedWingzz

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I understood that we might have to trade Mrazek and both guys names should be out there on the trade front. Just like both guys should be given chances to be the starter. It was really more about how are we going to do this without Mrazek barely touching the ice that never made any sense to me. If that was what this was about we could have shipped him to Edmonton months ago. This whole thing has been perplexing. Not even really sure where it goes from here, if we are thinking of qualifying him though, all the more need to ship Nyquist or heck even though unlikely maybe someone bites on Ericsson or something surprising like that to help free some salary.

A while ago I did start banking on Petr's salary wouldn't be around. While not killer, I am not sure what giving him a QO would do to us in terms of the big picture. I hope he can earn it though. Also Blashill was resistant enough I think Petr setting the world on fire down the stretch probably doesn't help Blashill keep his job which has to be interesting for Petr. He can prove his point and maybe oust the people he think wronged him.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
It does seem petty.

But a month ago, if you advocated for the common sense solution, people were shouting you down as clueless and saying Mrazek would be in Europe next year and that he was worthless.

So it's hard not to rub some obnoxious noses in their folly.

Advocating it is one thing - beating people over the head with it ad nauseam is something else.

Case in point:
New Howard vs Mrazek comparison

Howard - 2.82, .911, 38.8 win percent
Mrazek - 2.74, .914, 50 .0 win percent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->