Confirmed Trade: [DET/OTT] Alex DeBrincat (signs 4 years, $7.875M AAV) for Dominik Kubalik, Donovan Sebrango, cond. 2024 or 2025 1st (DET or BOS), 2024 4th

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Ottawa finished 6 points ahead despite Detroit effectively tanking the last 2 months of the season. I mean, let's evaluate the rosters after all the moving pieces fall into place here, but a 6 point gap is nothing to feel super confident about.
It is pretty safe to assume that Norris, our 35 goal scoring all-roles C, and Chychrun, a top pairing DMan, will play more than 20 games combined next season; also pretty unlikely that we will only have 10 or so games where both of our top goalies are healthy.

I think Detroit has improved a lot this offseason to significantly if not entirely bridge the gap, but Ottawa was far ahead of them, in terms of NHL players, coming into this offseason.

Reactions: Takurcitee

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Still think Kubalik is probably in the deal. Heard Friday Detroit was doing due diligence on Brannstrom, Thomson and Bernard Docker. If that’s true, and they agreed to take one, it means either an NHL Dman or a top prospect is in it, on D. Also heard the Sens were pushing for Detroit to take Joseph. That would tell me Valeno is in it.

I still say the fairest deal is Berggren and a 1st Rounder BUT It’ll probably be Kubalik, Chiarot and a 1st for Brannstrom and Debrincat. Lol.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Ahhh yeah I'd say Detroit is a bit earlier in it, of course. I don't think Detroit will be great but they're close enough to Ottawa and Buffalo where I think they'll definitely be dinging them for some points in a bloodbath division which could end up knocking either or both teams out.

I see Detroit being in the 23-27 range of maybe thry get a WC spot thrn miss the playoffs. Them drafting in that range they will get some decent players but not the big stud players they really need To get to a higher level. Especially at center.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Ottawa finished 6 points ahead despite Detroit effectively tanking the last 2 months of the season. I mean, let's evaluate the rosters after all the moving pieces fall into place here, but a 6 point gap is nothing to feel super confident about.
You could see how far apart the teams were when they played the back to back later in the season and Ottawa out scores them 12-2. Ottawa added a huge piece in Chychrun later in the season and dealt with tons of injuries and AHL (sometimes ECHL) goaltending

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
You could see how far apart the teams were when they played the back to back later in the season and Ottawa out scores them 12-2. Ottawa added a huge piece in Chychrun later in the season and dealt with tons of injuries and AHL (sometimes ECHL) goaltending

Detroit had no injuries and were 100% the entire season, so I agree with your 100% valid point.

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
Don’t think anyone was offering a long term deal to Debrincat
They’d be insane to do so.

Undersized player and nobody can argue that. When he is taken away from Kane in Chicago we see he wasn’t the same even playing with solid offensive players in Ottawa.

He’s a 2nd line complimentary piece.

So long as Ottawa gets back a reasonable 1st and even a decent prospect it’s a win.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Last night we were hearing Yzerman wouldn’t move from 5 years $7.85. Debrincat was smart taking 4 instead of 5 though. The number is phenomenal for Detroit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad