GDT: DET @ ANA | 10:00pm EST | 3/16/2018

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
I want to see the young guys produce some points but I couldn't care less if the team didn't win another game this year

Reactions: Filppula

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
.... and our fabled "winning culture" is non existent. .....

the "winning culture" mean people are trying.

to be honest, i see our team competing and trying hard. (most of the players anyway).
We just don't have the talent to compete properly right now. But don't worry over next few years we will continue to collect talent.

But that "winning" culture is about effort... not talent.

P.S. Why isnt AA better than Larkin? Kid is faster, bigger, just as good hands.... I imagine its work ethic and effort.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Glad the boys put up a descent effort and got to take out their frustration with a few fights. Stating the obvious but Anaheim is such a superior team.

Descent effort is 100 percent accurate.
9 straight losses.
Wow.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Or lousy 3C on a lousy team
Your opinion, I personally just like him but think he plays in an all defensive position. Imo he’s probably the best guy on this team on the pp but never plays it. Last 2 games he’s been on it and at least they are possessing the puck

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Something Wings fans seem to be slow on picking up on is that a lot of our "character" guys, really are just as lifeless as our lazy star players as well.

This team is not being led well, both from the Veterans and Coaching staff. Our younger players have checked out, and our fabled "winning culture" is non existent. That's what happens when mediocre players like Abdelkader, Dekeyser, and Helm get long term for too much money. THe hunger is gone, and it infects the younger kids. If the Vets who are worse than you, get paid more money than you, and are in general just as lazy as you, aren't held accountable, why would you care about working hard?
When almost every one of your team's respectable veterans are losers and or below average players, the rest of your team will follow suit.
While I somewhat agree, even if vets have bad contracts, some consistent accountability by the coaches would help keep everybody on the same page.

I'm not asking them to bench Hank if he has a bad shift, and the malaise of the team has gotten bad enough that it makes it tougher to decide who to sit first. But if effort is what they're after, then make EVERYBODY give you effort, and make nobody immune to getting benched.

Or this bad losing skid, if it goes on unchecked, might become an outright mutiny.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Z was a lot more chipper than I thought he would be during the post game interview. Wonder if he just finds it comical now?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Your opinion, I personally just like him but think he plays in an all defensive position. Imo he’s probably the best guy on this team on the pp but never plays it. Last 2 games he’s been on it and at least they are possessing the puck
He's similar to Val Filppula, another guy who got little to no PP time.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I agree somewhat, but I truly think this system is hurting all of our talented players. Guys literally get the puck at the far blue line standing still with no support, how is this suppose to help generate offense??

How are guys like Mantha/AA/Larkin supposed to do anything?
We have no transition game.
Larkin and AA in particular are transition guys.

Blame the shitty defense, but guys like Green and Kronwall and Daley should be able to pass to a guy in stride.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
How are guys like Mantha/AA/Larkin supposed to do anything?
We have no transition game.
Larkin and AA in particular are transition guys.

Blame the ****ty defense, but guys like Green and Kronwall and Daley should be able to pass to a guy in stride.

But they are up standing by the D at the far blueline, if the come back further maybe they get it with more speed and support and room and they can attack together. Right now it’s a Hail Mary pass/flip everytime we attempt to breakout

Reactions: CaptainZetterberg40

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Well if they suck with Green and he puts in no effort how are the young guys gonna learn? Isn't that why people were suggesting we needed to sign Abby and Helm to those awful deals? So that they could teach the young guys? Can someone make the case that vets make any difference at all? If not then why are you lobbying to sign Green?

It sounds like it is finally dawning on some people that we are one of the worse teams in the league. We missed out on our chance to trade Green this past TDL. Why throw bad money at him to try to gain that chance back? Seems counter productive to me.

You sign Green, Neilsen and Daley because you think you're still a playoff team. That boat sailed a couple years ago. You missed out on trading Green. Better to let the guys signed to immovable contacts play out the string while you add youth. Why on Earth would you sign yet another vet to an awful deal knowing what you know now?

Seems like a case of setting money on fire. Use it instead to upgrade your front office and scouting staff. At least that's what would make sense to me.

Well unfortunately they still have to ice a hockey team rather than forfeiting all 82 games. You only bring Green back if you think Hronek and Cholowski aren't ready for the NHL.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Well if they suck with Green and he puts in no effort how are the young guys gonna learn? Isn't that why people were suggesting we needed to sign Abby and Helm to those awful deals? So that they could teach the young guys? Can someone make the case that vets make any difference at all? If not then why are you lobbying to sign Green?

We've got page after page after page on this board of people debating about the compete level of Mantha and Athanasiou.
Yet those very some people who criticize Mantha and AA seem to be the ones who want to resign one of the laziest, most lackadaisacal players in the NHL in Mike Green.
I was all for signing Green when we did. I felt it was worth the gamble. I feel like the salary was high, but I was OK with that because it wasn't one of Holland's patented moron long-term deals.
But by last year, it was clear why Washington didn't want Green.
He does nice things from time to time. He scored a goal tonight, for example.

But a defenseman who doesn't care about defense is bad news.

You sign Green, Neilsen and Daley because you think you're still a playoff team. That boat sailed a couple years ago. You missed out on trading Green. Better to let the guys signed to immovable contacts play out the string while you add youth. Why on Earth would you sign yet another vet to an awful deal knowing what you know now?

Because Khan said Holland will do it.
So fans who always line up behind Holland are doing what they always do. Lining up behind Holland.

Seems like a case of setting money on fire. Use it instead to upgrade your front office and scouting staff. At least that's what would make sense to me.

Red Wings shouldn't spend a dime in free agency unless its on Carlson or Tavares.
We've already got too many D under contract
Cholo and Hronek need to compete for a job next season.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
But they are up standing by the D at the far blueline, if the come back further maybe they get it with more speed and support and room and they can attack together. Right now it’s a Hail Mary pass/flip everytime we attempt to breakout

But that's because we don't/can't pass.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
But that's because we don't/can't pass.
Are you saying because our d don’t make the play right away? Because when I’m watching once we gain possession in our own zone at least 2 forwards completely blow the zone looking for a stretch pass. I feel we do have some pretty fast forwards so why not have all of them back and come together with speed? Helps our d cause they only have to make 10 foot passes, also way easier to recover on turnovers because we have support

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Frans has been really good for us this season. However, he has been garbage since coming back from his injury.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Because Khan said Holland will do it.
So fans who always line up behind Holland are doing what they always do. Lining up behind Holland.

Anyone who advocates signing Green is doing so to eventually trade him for draft picks. That's the point. No one is blind to the situation.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Are you saying because our d don’t make the play right away? Because when I’m watching once we gain possession in our own zone at least 2 forwards completely blow the zone looking for a stretch pass. I feel we do have some pretty fast forwards so why not have all of them back and come together with speed? Helps our d cause they only have to make 10 foot passes, also way easier to recover on turnovers because we have support

Our f***ing D handles the puck like a grenade.
They touch the puck. The forwards anticipate them doing something.
But they bobble or hiccup and the play disappears because they have to stop skating or back up or turn it back toward the safety of the boards.
I have no problem with one forward blowing the zone and two others providing short options. It stretches the D and should open the neutral zone a bit.

Whatever this team is doing, it doesn't look like they practice it.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Descent effort is 100 percent accurate.
9 straight losses.
Wow.
Well when you say it like that... :laugh: I change my statement to "excellent" effort.

I agree with what BC is saying, or Witkowski in the lockeroom: the guys are trying their darnedest. Tonight I saw as much effort and determination as any game this season. The talent overall just isn't there. Not in the vets or the youngsters.

I'm probably more surprised the Wings didn't hit a losing streak like this earlier. Other teams sure did.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Anyone who advocates signing Green is doing so to eventually trade him for draft picks. That's the point. No one is blind to the situation.

Who cares? You couldn't get shit for him at 32 years old.
What makes you think you're going to get value for him at 34 or 35?

Draft picks? Seriously?
You're signing mediocre players for millions of dollars, handcuffing your cap space in the process, limiting your ability to have rookies compete for a job... for the potential to trade for draft picks?

Don't we already have Daley and Ericsson who are supposed to be draft pick trade bait sometime down the road?

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Well when you say it like that... :laugh: I change my statement to "excellent" effort.

I agree with what BC is saying, or Witkowski in the lockeroom: the guys are trying their darnedest. Tonight I saw as much effort and determination as any game this season. The talent overall just isn't there. Not in the vets or the youngsters.

I'm probably more surprised the Wings didn't hit a losing streak like this earlier. Other teams sure did.

How is it that this team is on its longest losing streak since the 80s or whatever.... while trying hard?
Meh...
Anyway, I hate Witkowski.

But I was glad to see Abby and Mantha drop the gloves. Guys who fight and can play are legit.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Our ****ing D handles the puck like a grenade.
They touch the puck. The forwards anticipate them doing something.
But they bobble or hiccup and the play disappears because they have to stop skating or back up or turn it back toward the safety of the boards.
I have no problem with one forward blowing the zone and two others providing short options. It stretches the D and should open the neutral zone a bit.

Whatever this team is doing, it doesn't look like they practice it.
I agree that the d are awful and they do make some awful plays I just feel like if we don’t have anybody blow the zone it could help. Center support low and slow , strong side winger low making there d have to come down a long ways if they wanna pinch and then the weak side winger streaking across the strong side anticipating a pass/chip while the weak side d jumps up in the play out the back side. Again I agree that a lot is on the D but I do think we blow the zone early a lot of times as well making it difficult on the D. This is something that i want them to just experiment with for that last 10 games

Reactions: CaptainZetterberg40

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad