Despite major challanges, Kyle Dubas has passed the tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Minimum wage players are unpredictable. That's why Devante Smith Pelly went from playoff hero to out of the league in less than a season.

If you could reasonably predict which minimum wage players would perform come playoff time you would be the greatest GM in the history of the sport since you'd be able to build a Cup winning team with a bottom 6 that cost $6 million dollars.
Heck, even "playoff hero" Paul didn't do a whole lot through the rest of the same playoffs outside of his 2 goals in game 7. 3 goals and 7 points through the other 22 playoff games. That's a ~10 goal, ~25 point pace while getting top-6 minutes. Masterful player evaluation, or just a depth player that happened to pop off in a good moment?

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
Heck, even "playoff hero" Paul didn't do a whole lot through the rest of the same playoffs outside of his 2 goals in game 7. 3 goals and 7 points through the other 22 playoff games. That's a ~10 goal, ~25 point pace while getting top-6 minutes. Masterful player evaluation, or just a depth player that happened to pop off in a good moment?

Yeah that's why they're paid minimum wage. The thing that gets you paid in sports is consistency. Not being a plug for ~75 games and then going super saiyan for 12. Do y'all remember the story of Ville Leino?

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Minimum wage players are unpredictable. That's why Devante Smith Pelly went from playoff hero to out of the league in less than a season.

If you could reasonably predict which minimum wage players would perform come playoff time you would be the greatest GM in the history of the sport since you'd be able to build a Cup winning team with a bottom 6 that cost $6 million dollars.
I would think that with an entire scouting department that the Leafs have they should be able to do a better job of it or is it just luck

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Well we should expect you on the "it was just luck" train if you are indeed a credible person if Dubas does end up making some nice cheap moves to round out the team this year.

The rest of us will be giving him deserved praise if he does it.

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
It's just luck if you can't do it, and skill if you can. :sarcasm:
Basically you just described hindsight bias.

"Tampa had elite scouts. That's how they stumbled upon Nick Paul who had 3 goals in 22 playoff games with 2 of them happening vs us in Game 7. They scouted him and knew he'd come in handy vs the Leafs." - Racer88 probably.

Reactions: Racer88

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022

"Tampa had elite scouts. That's how they stumbled upon Nick Paul who had 3 goals in 22 playoff games with 2 of them happening vs us in Game 7. They scouted him and knew he'd come in handy vs the Leafs." - Racer88 probably.
So like Dekes you will also be ruining our fun saying it was just luck then in the event Dubas pulls it off this year with some cheap steals. Good to know.

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
24, 2022
Add bookmark
I am not crazy! I know he swapped those cores! I knew the Leafs had a 129 point team with Kadri. One after the ‘19 Lightning that got swept. As if I could ever make such a mistake. Never. Never! I just - I just couldn't prove it. He - he covered his tracks, he got that idiot TJ Brodie to cover for him. You think this is something? You think this is bad? This? This chicanery? He's done worse. That Tavares Contract! Are you telling me that a man just happens to sign a big contract the year before COVID flattened the salary cap? No! He orchestrated it! Kyle! He was handed a stacked Leafs team! And I defended him! And I shouldn't have. I was secretly hoping my team would trade for him! What was I thinking? He'll never change. He'll never change! Ever since his first season as GM, always the same! Signing Marner! But not our Kyle! Couldn't be our precious Kyle! Signing contracts blind! And he gets to be GM? What a sick joke! I should've stopped him when I had the chance! And you - you have to stop him!

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

Not at all. More like sour grapes.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Well we should expect you on the "it was just luck" train if you are indeed a credible person if Dubas does end up making some nice cheap moves to round out the team this year.
The rest of us will be giving him deserved praise if he does it.
What are you even talking about? I didn't say "it was just luck" to round out the team with cheap, quality depth. You just shouldn't be evaluating that depth based on what they do in one game.

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
What are you even talking about? I didn't say "it was just luck" to round out the team with cheap, quality depth. You just shouldn't be evaluating that depth based on what they do in one game.

No according to him Julian Briesboise went out and got Nick Paul because he was the perfect foil to the Leafs. Only an idiot GM wouldn't have known that a career *checks notes* 20 point player, would be an elite playoff performer.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Okay fine. I will re-phrase.

If a nice cheap Dubas signing wins us a game 7, please don't ruin our fun with your "it was just luck".

You have a weird obsession fantasizing about what other people say in la-la land
Always a great way to defeat Dubist cultism. Just reverse the logic - what's "luck" for one team is a genius Dubas move for the Leafs.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Okay fine. I will re-phrase.
If a nice cheap Dubas signing wins us a game 7, please don't ruin our fun with your "it was just luck".
You have a weird obsession fantasizing about what other people say in la-la land
That final sentence is ironic, considering that you continue to put words in my mouth. If anybody wins us a game 7, I'll be out there cheering like any Leaf fan, but that still doesn't mean evaluating that player exclusively by that one game performance.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
From dumb dumb McGee himself:

Then the rest of you idiots proceeded to act like it was a given that good scouting departments do this on the regular.

I think what was said in response after is going over your head so I wouldn't call other people idiots.

Let's just say it will be interesting to see how you approach this topic if Leafs end up getting a cheap depth player to play hero for a series. Will you stick to it being luck or will you change gears and give Dubas full credit.

That final sentence is ironic, considering that you continue to put words in my mouth. If anybody wins us a game 7, I'll be out there cheering like any Leaf fan, but that still doesn't mean evaluating that player exclusively by that one game performance.

When it happens for us will it be masterful player evaluation or Dubas getting lucky his signing randomly popped off?

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
When it happens for us will it be masterful player evaluation or Dubas getting lucky his signing randomly popped off?
If it happens to us, that's great, but that doesn't change the need to evaluate based on their overall contributions and not just one game. Some Leaf fans have some passionate feelings about Paul because he had a notable impact on an important game for us, but his performance through the other 96% of the playoffs should be considered as well. The same holds true regardless of who we're talking about.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Has a list of the tests that he’s passed been posted yet?
No, he hasn't done any tests at least public tests. He did graduate from Brock university where he would have written exams, but they are not public. If there were internal tests in the Leafs organization we can infer that he has passed, but not tests have been made public.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Oh lord i thought this died lol

Maybe the new goalie department can be a test
Legends never die and this thread is hilariously legendary.
He’s already passed the goalie tests or so we’re led to believe

Reactions: IPS

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
He was put in charge at a tough time where he had to sign his star rfa's. The person he replaced which we were told was a major mistake had the chance to sign Nylander the summer before but decided the priority was near retirement Marleau at 6.5. He also had to improve the D core which again neither Burke, now looking for a new job.... again in Nonis, and Lou never could. He was able to sign his rfa's at higher amounts than expected which should be on Lou because he's shown here and NY he lets agents run over him. He improved the D core and pretty much revamped the entire D core except for Rielly. Sandin he drafted along with Dubas's development system made Holl into an NHL player. Liljegren was drafted by Lou but his development was in Dubas's system so thats a Dubas piece really.
Covid ruined some plans but he has done a great job adding pieces under a flat cap.

He just needs playoff success but the lack there of isn't on him. He has improved the team in difficult circimstances from Covid to cleaning up mistakes from other GM's. He inherited a team with young stars who needed new deals and a flawed up and coming team and done great things with it.

No.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad