Despite major challanges, Kyle Dubas has passed the tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
He was put in charge at a tough time where he had to sign his star rfa's. The person he replaced which we were told was a major mistake had the chance to sign Nylander the summer before but decided the priority was near retirement Marleau at 6.5. He also had to improve the D core which again neither Burke, now looking for a new job.... again in Nonis, and Lou never could. He was able to sign his rfa's at higher amounts than expected which should be on Lou because he's shown here and NY he lets agents run over him. He improved the D core and pretty much revamped the entire D core except for Rielly. Sandin he drafted along with Dubas's development system made Holl into an NHL player. Liljegren was drafted by Lou but his development was in Dubas's system so thats a Dubas piece really.
Covid ruined some plans but he has done a great job adding pieces under a flat cap.

He just needs playoff success but the lack there of isn't on him. He has improved the team in difficult circimstances from Covid to cleaning up mistakes from other GM's. He inherited a team with young stars who needed new deals and a flawed up and coming team and done great things with it.
I want to re-visit the OP.

There is nothing wrong with unwavering support, but how long can you go on putting down other general managers to prop up Dubas?

My days of blaming JFJ are long over because that was 18 years ago.

Dubas has been driving the car for quite some time* now.

*Not as long as Shanny has been driving it.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
I ment the TOI/GP stats when most of the defense wasn't injuried

Most liked the value in the trade which was pretty good. The fit was never good and people weren't praising the fit generally. I dont seem to think that at all, what do you think I'm trying to argue?

Comparing Barrie to Makar doesn't make sense to begin with but since you want to use that comparison. The leafs did not have a place for Barrie to thrive hence why he didn't. If they were accruing a guy like Makar you move pieces around to get the best out of him, barrie not so much.

They (Muzzin & Barrie I assume) didn't gel well because Barrie has never been deployed in a defensive role and shouldn't have been expected to which is why he was moved off that pairing to the third pairing before the injuries happened.

At 5 on 5 he played with Dermott + Sandin (I.e. third pairing) more than 1st pairing (Rielly) or 2nd pairing (Muzzin) by quite a bit. Dermott alone was close to Rielly. Which tracks what I was saying, he was tried on the first 2 pairings (especially with Muzzin) and it clearly didn't work so he was pushed onto the third pairing and fed PP time.

Okay we are agreed Rielly works better with defensive partners.

"Rielly's best season at that point was a result of being behind Marner and Tavares on fire" what is that even supposed to mean then?

I'm aware a 2C is a middle six forward but no team was acquiring Kadri to be anything below 2C hence it would be a top 6 C not a middle 6X. Semantics not worth arguing.

I dont think your going to win any argument about Kadri's playoff play for the Avs vs Barrie/Kerfoot for the leafs. Kerfoot made multiple (uncharacteristic) huge errors this post season arguably costing them the series.

Being shopped a few months after the season starts when you were just acquired is pretty much right away. Again semantics. Your correct, it was that OT winner im recalling in game 4 I think.

I don't even really care who won the trade. I didn't like the fit but said the value was fine at the time (which still hold true today).

I view the Brodie signing as very positive as I just said. It doesn't negate trading Kadri for a bad fit after the original trade for a good fit (Brodie) didn't work out. The additional option could have been to just keep Kadri and add Brodie (or even Barrie) at the TDL for some picks if they really wanted. Or find a different trade for Kadri that didn't necessitate a 3C and top 4 RD coming back.
Food for thought. Would Dubas have been more receptive to meeting Florida's demand for Weegar if we didn't have / get Brodie ? The plot thickens.

There is a path not taken where this team had Kadri and Weegar instead of Barrie and Brodie if we are playing this game.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
This is as close as I was allowed to get as a Leafs fan. Bet he has a firm handshake too.

4BB90EE6-15E7-47B1-9B3D-D0D702689CF8.jpeg

Reactions: fahad203

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I would love to see the clip of him answering this

Could be either
It isn't really a question.
Is Dubas being mocked here?

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
It isn't really a question.
Is Dubas being mocked here?

That isnt what i was looking for? :dunno:

Kadri of the avalanche speaking to a reporter

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
That isnt what i was looking for? :dunno:

Kadri of the avalanche speaking to a reporter
Yeah, obviously. Why would a reporter ask him if he were mocking the Leafs or if he really thought there was a lot of respect in the handshake line? When he already told a reporter “Handshake line was fine,”... “Most hockey players leave whatever happened on the ice on the ice and I think there was a lot of respect for each other in terms of both teams.”

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Yeah, obviously. Why would a reporter ask him if he were mocking the Leafs or if he really thought there was a lot of respect in the handshake line? When he already told a reporter “Handshake line was fine,”... “Most hockey players leave whatever happened on the ice on the ice and I think there was a lot of respect for each other in terms of both teams.”

sheesh - i just thought it would be neat to see the clip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00