Post-Game Talk: desert dogs

Your 3 stars of college hockey

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I loved the Camera Angle. It's high over the ice.

I wish they built arenas like they used to with the fans being on top of the ice.

Can't really do this, not since regulations were revised after the unfortunate incident and events at the Igloo in 1995 involving a martial-arts firefighter who managed to save his son and daughter amid the chaos.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Can't really do this, not since regulations were revised after the unfortunate incident and events at the Igloo in 1995 involving a martial-arts firefighter who managed to save his son and daughter amid the chaos.
iu

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Any word on Chytil? Our third line now is lacking and he was becoming a fantastic middle 6 player. That third line with him wasn't super high scoring but was fantastic analytically.

So if we had the same record but lost to Tampa and Minnesota instead the tone wouldn't have been "this team only beats bad teams"?
The team is NEVER supposed to lose. All losses are reason for doom and gloom and prophesies of disaster.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Thanks for the update Bob.....I was wondering if you kept the season tickets going for the Yotes . The small arena also made for petty good camera angles....especially the behind the net video on the PP .....almost like being there .
I gave up my season tickets after the 2015 season. When they tanked for McDavid (and lost the lottery) it was some of the worst hockey I've ever seen. They did not even ice an AHL roster that year. The staff didn't seem to care and the ownership was very rude to me. I've never had any trouble picking up tickets for any game I wanted to attend.

The end zone cameras are 14 rows off the ice. Don't think there's a lower sightline in the NHL. I'm anxious to watch the replay when it finally becomes available here (48 hours)

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
Yeah I'm not buying he wasn't hurt. He totally got hurt like game 81, didn't he not play the last game and didn't show up to the 'jerseys off our back' thing?

Come the f*ck on here.

Probably the biggest shame during our run and the crazy bastard still put up points.

yeah i think he was definitely hurt. he got hurt in the game against Carolina at MSG. but there was also a poster here during the playoffs last year with sources that told him Panarin's offseason was greatly set back by whatever injury he sustained in the Tom Wilson incident and it had a knock on effect throughout the entire season. so I think both of those combined to make him look as bad as he did in the playoffs. goddamnit if we could've just had a couple less injuries we might've won the Cup.

Reactions: tlk

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I don't think goalies who have stood on their heads against us but who have no other correlation to each other across the league will simultaneously not stand on their heads against us. Which is to say, we need to shoot better. I don't have the answers. But Panarin should shoot more, that would be a start. Laf should focus on shooting instead of trying to be the Next Great Playmaker, emulating Panarin.
My amateur diagnosis is that the team is holding the puck selling out for the perfect pass too much. It allows the opposing goalie time to set up.
I’m not saying that it’s bad to look for the perfect pass. Sometimes that works. And when it does, it’s truly beautiful hockey.
But they need to mix it up more. Shoot off cadence. Stuff attempts. Rebounds. They just need to diversify their shooting. That said, that’s the easiest part. They have the tough ones in hand. I think they’ll figure it out.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Rangers are 5-0-2 with Igor in net

Rangers are 0-3 with Halak in net

What else needs to be said ?
In all fairness to Halak, who has given up some serious stinkers recently, we were shut out in one loss (NYI) and, I think, scored just one goal in another (WPG). Cant blame the goalie when your team can’t score more than one goal.

His skating is back. Makes me wonder even though they didn't reveal any injuries last year if he was playing through some type of lower body injury. He is making space for himself again with his legs and not just relying on head fakes and dangles. If we only we had this form of Panarin in the playoffs.
He looks like a 22 year old; some players just don’t fall off a cliff at 30-31.

Reactions: DialUp

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
So I couldn’t post from inside the Mullett so I thought I’d recap some observations. For a college arena, it’s perfect. Great sight lines, low roof to hold noise and nice fresh ice and boards. That’s the good news.

The rest goes like this. Close to half the fans were Ranger fans. Ranger fans made much more noise than Coyote fans and the building in total was not a madhouse by any means. There was only one instance of a Let’s go Rangers/Let’s go Co-yotes back and forth. It was similar to the number of Ranger fans that would attend in the Glendale Arena, packed into a tighter space.

Having been in too many NHL and minor league arenas to count, there’s nothing that compares to the Mullett. There are 4 (yes 4) permanent concession stands. There were a few mobile beer stands. No beer sales are allowed at NCAA events so that goes away for college hockey. And the Coyotes did not call out bleacher seating in their ticket charts. Here a picture of my $170 seat.

View attachment 601310
Overall an interesting experience. Nothing like it anywhere else in the NHL. I’m afraid that once the novelty wears off, those Tuesday nights against Ottawa and Buffalo are going to be very tough sells.
Thank you for that report. Very interesting.

From what I could see, the place looked half to two-thirds full. Does that ring true?

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I think in large part it's his Center.

He doesn't coast anymore because his Center doesn't coast.
Trocheck is always flying up ice
Totally agree. The line has a different mindset. And like @leetch99 says, Trocheck has been a huge addition. I’m so impressed with him.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Thank you for that report. Very interesting.

From what I could see, the place looked half to two-thirds full. Does that ring true?
No, more than that in attendance. I estimated about 300-400 empty seats. I think a lot of people who had tickets, stood for part of the game. There were definitely patches of empty seats.

It will be a lot leaner when Ottawa and Buffalo are here on weeknights.

And to add insult to injury, after two more home games (Dallas and Florida), your Coyotes are headed out on a 14-game road trip.

Reactions: egelband

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
It's just unbelievable given all their financial difficulties.
Before I retired, I brought two major sponsors into the Coyotes Arena. Both 6 figures and two of their four biggest sponsors. I even gave them 10,000 certificates good for a free pizzas to give away to help build sales. Their response was barely audible. The person who actually was the most gracious to me was Gary Bettman (no kidding) The ownership and management here got exactly what they deserved when they were pushed out. I don’t have much confidence that the current owners will be any better.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Before I retired, I brought two major sponsors into the Coyotes Arena. Both 6 figures and two of their four biggest sponsors. I even gave them 10,000 certificates good for a free pizzas to give away to help build sales. Their response was barely audible. The person who actually was the most gracious to me was Gary Bettman (no kidding) The ownership and management here got exactly what they deserved when they were pushed out. I don’t have much confidence that the current owners will be any better.

Your last point is exactly what I've been thinking about this current situation. Their current owner is a ruthless prick, who could give a shit about Tempe or the residents of the area. He only cares about what's in it for him, which is scary considering the guy is a slick businessman who sure as shit knows there isn't money to be made selling hockey tickets in that market. He simply wants the tax abatements for his other ventures.

After the Strang article, I can't believe anyone would take this guy at face value, given his documented checkered past & the way he treats his business partners. I simply don't trust him to hold up his end of the deal without trying to slant the terms for more tax payer money. The referendum is a good thing & hopefully the voting public is smart enough to say no to any favorable tax deals. The city can pay for some infrastructure & let the billionaire figure out his own financing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad