• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Maybe we need to shoot better but over a ten-game sample, there's really no reason that happens other than the universe decided it's happening.

You can't get led around by happenstance. We've been good and I wouldn't change our game trying to overcorrect.
Aside from the bottom 6 being just not good, the above is true. Offensively the team has been getting it's chances with the exception of a game or two. They should be 7-1-2.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Solid win in a classical trap game

Laf scored and I thought he still played very poorly

Jones had some nice takeaways

Not mad at Lindgren for his error - he always gives his all.

Igor with one or two nice and clutch saves.

Bread dominates once again.
neither am I, but I seemed to have been zeroed in on him (maybe because he was always near the puck?) but, he had a really bad game, imo. Seemed slow and caught in between often, got caught time and time again.
Maybe it would be good if he got with Trouba, and KAM with Foxy.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
I don't think goalies who have stood on their heads against us but who have no other correlation to each other across the league will simultaneously not stand on their heads against us. Which is to say, we need to shoot better. I don't have the answers. But Panarin should shoot more, that would be a start. Laf should focus on shooting instead of trying to be the Next Great Playmaker, emulating Panarin.

These things tend to revert towards the mean over the course of a season. Proponents of PDO as an advanced stat says that is what that stat shows. If you look at that stat over the past few years, it seems to check out. Most teams end up close to 1 and it's very rare to see a team above 1.025 or below 0.975 for an extended period of time. Our 5v5 PDO is at 0.975 now, so it is likely to trend upward on its own.

I don't know how we would get these guys to shoot better and I don't know if the coaching staff would want to weigh in on that. If you tell them to pick better spots with their shots, you are likely to make them hesitate to pull the trigger. There's a good amount of luck involved with scoring goals, and that can't be coached. The coaching staff is going to focus on controlling the play and generating chances, as that is more within their control.

The advanced stats are looking pretty good, so I think if we keep this up, it will work out well for us over the course of the season. At 5v5, we are 6th in CF%, 4th in FF%, 6th in SF%, and 8th in xGF%.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Kakko is looking great. Very consistent. His possession, takeaways. Its pretty amazing that he doesnt have more points
Agreed, but its hard to score when you are always in the corners. Seems sometimes it takes forever for him to get unraveled and make a bolt to the net OR wherever heis preferred "spot" is. I mean, does he have one? lol.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
The Rangers are shooting 13.94% on high-danger chances this year. Over the last three years combined, we shot 18.35% on high-danger chances.

Maybe we need to shoot better but over a ten-game sample, there's really no reason that happens other than the universe decided it's happening.

You can't get led around by happenstance. We've been good and I wouldn't change our game trying to overcorrect.

These things tend to revert towards the mean over the course of a season. Proponents of PDO as an advanced stat says that is what that stat shows. If you look at that stat over the past few years, it seems to check out. Most teams end up close to 1 and it's very rare to see a team above 1.025 or below 0.975 for an extended period of time. Our 5v5 PDO is at 0.975 now, so it is likely to trend upward on its own.

I don't know how we would get these guys to shoot better and I don't know if the coaching staff would want to weigh in on that. If you tell them to pick better spots with their shots, you are likely to make them hesitate to pull the trigger. There's a good amount of luck involved with scoring goals, and that can't be coached. The coaching staff is going to focus on controlling the play and generating chances, as that is more within their control.

The advanced stats are looking pretty good, so I think if we keep this up, it will work out well for us over the course of the season. At 5v5, we are 6th in CF%, 4th in FF%, 6th in SF%, and 8th in xGF%.

Sure, I can accept this. But I also see goalies just snuffing out our shots, flashing their gloves without much concern, and examples like Trocheck not one-timing off the pass last night, taking an extra second to get the shot off his stick. I believe it was the ensuing sequence that Lindgren lost the puck to Bjustad next to Shesty. Those are opportunities that should be converted.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I'll say it again, if we had Halak in net, we likely lose this game. Igor didn't need to make a ton of saves, but he made some big ones for sure when the game was tied and when we had the lead.

This is why you play your all-star goalie, you need to make sure you get these points vs bad teams. Halak can play games when our offense is back to normal and scoring buckets of goals.
As the season goes on, teams are less likely to score buckets of goals.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
What do we have 18? Coyotes announcers (pre-game) were seemingly complaining about their 13 b2b's. lol.
I don't know how many there are this year tbh but so far it's been ridiculous. I could understand last year because of the condensed schedule and the expected 3 week Olympic break that never happened but during a normal year it's absurd, especially B2B's on the road with travel.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
So I couldn’t post from inside the Mullett so I thought I’d recap some observations. For a college arena, it’s perfect. Great sight lines, low roof to hold noise and nice fresh ice and boards. That’s the good news.

The rest goes like this. Close to half the fans were Ranger fans. Ranger fans made much more noise than Coyote fans and the building in total was not a madhouse by any means. There was only one instance of a Let’s go Rangers/Let’s go Co-yotes back and forth. It was similar to the number of Ranger fans that would attend in the Glendale Arena, packed into a tighter space.

Having been in too many NHL and minor league arenas to count, there’s nothing that compares to the Mullett. There are 4 (yes 4) permanent concession stands. There were a few mobile beer stands. No beer sales are allowed at NCAA events so that goes away for college hockey. And the Coyotes did not call out bleacher seating in their ticket charts. Here a picture of my $170 seat.

1667229322195.jpeg

Overall an interesting experience. Nothing like it anywhere else in the NHL. I’m afraid that once the novelty wears off, those Tuesday nights against Ottawa and Buffalo are going to be very tough sells.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
So I couldn’t post from inside the Mullett so I thought I’d recap some observations. For a college arena, it’s perfect. Great sight lines, low roof to hold noise and nice fresh ice and boards. That’s the good news.

The rest goes like this. Close to half the fans were Ranger fans. Ranger fans made much more noise than Coyote fans and the building in total was not a madhouse by any means. There was only one instance of a Let’s go Rangers/Let’s go Co-yotes back and forth. It was similar to the number of Ranger fans that would attend in the Glendale Arena, packed into a tighter space.

Having been in too many NHL and minor league arenas to count, there’s nothing that compares to the Mullett. There are 4 (yes 4) permanent concession stands. There were a few mobile beer stands. No beer sales are allowed at NCAA events so that goes away for college hockey. And the Coyotes did not call out bleacher seating in their ticket charts. Here a picture of my $170 seat.

View attachment 601310
Overall an interesting experience. Nothing like it anywhere else in the NHL. I’m afraid that once the novelty wears off, those Tuesday nights against Ottawa and Buffalo are going to be very tough sells.
Thanks for the update Bob.....I was wondering if you kept the season tickets going for the Yotes . The small arena also made for petty good camera angles....especially the behind the net video on the PP .....almost like being there .

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Thanks for the update Bob.....I was wondering if you kept the season tickets going for the Yotes . The small arena also made for petty good camera angles....especially the behind the net video on the PP .....almost like being there .
I loved the Camera Angle. It's high over the ice.

I wish they built arenas like they used to with the fans being on top of the ice.

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
I didn’t get to watch much of this game but it seems Panarin was the bread man tonight. They played last night , still got the win, even if it was close with a bottom team.
His skating is back. Makes me wonder even though they didn't reveal any injuries last year if he was playing through some type of lower body injury. He is making space for himself again with his legs and not just relying on head fakes and dangles. If we only we had this form of Panarin in the playoffs.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
His skating is back. Makes me wonder even though they didn't reveal any injuries last year if he was playing through some time of lower body injury. He is making space for himself again with his legs and not just relying on head fakes and dangles. If we only we had this form of Panarin in the playoffs.
I think in large part it's his Center.

He doesn't coast anymore because his Center doesn't coast.
Trocheck is always flying up ice

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
His skating is back. Makes me wonder even though they didn't reveal any injuries last year if he was playing through some type of lower body injury. He is making space for himself again with his legs and not just relying on head fakes and dangles. If we only we had this form of Panarin in the playoffs.

Yeah I'm not buying he wasn't hurt. He totally got hurt like game 81, didn't he not play the last game and didn't show up to the 'jerseys off our back' thing?

Come the f*ck on here.

Probably the biggest shame during our run and the crazy bastard still put up points.

Reactions: tlk and CasusBelli

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

To be honest I think they're generating good looks too, it's not just volume shooting, but yeah feels a bit like they've been unlucky. It happens...I'd rather they just keep playing like this (and clean up their sloppy play at their own blueline with zone exits) than get too concerned about it and try to make bigger system changes.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

View attachment 601310
I thought you took a pic of somebody cracking as potato in a stall!

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

He's doing his patented "pull up at the offensive blue line and find the trailer" move a lot more this year. When I think of Panarin having success at even strength, its with that. His skating has been better and hes backing off the D more. If we can get 2019 Panarin over a full season + playoffs, look out NHL.

Reactions: Larrybiv
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad