Player Discussion Derick Brassard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Still to bitter to like him. Hopefully when the season starts things change. At least I can admit i have a bias tho.

What are you bitter about?

I still don't like the Zibanejad + second round pick for Brassard trade. Zibby has shown more at the same age than Brassard did. I hope I am wrong but I have a very bad feeling about this trade.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
no, i love him.

Me too, based on his play for his first year with the Senators. I hope he fully recovers from the concussions; however, I think his best days are behind him now and he will probably play a very safe soft game going forward, which will not be good for this team. Again, I hope I am wrong.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

I still don't like the Zibanejad + second round pick for Brassard trade. Zibby has shown more at the same age than Brassard did. I hope I am wrong but I have a very bad feeling about this trade.

If you are talking about just points, then sure Zibby has shown more. However, hockey is more than just points.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

At 23 Brassard put up 47 points in 74 games, on Columbus, for .64 ppg.

Mika at 22-23, put up 51 points in 81 games, for .63 ppg, his best season to date.

Mika isn't a playmaker, PP player, or a guy who has shown to raise his game (and had his ethic questioned many times). Brassard fills every one of those boxes. Mika will be a great 2nd line C for the Rangers, but Brassard fits the Sens like a glove at the moment.

Giving the 2nd somewhat bugs me, but it is what it is.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
The Rangers weren't giving up Brassard for Zibby straight up, so we had to add. I'm fine with it as long as Brassard continues to produce at the same pace he has the last few seasons.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Cautiously optimistic. Ryan needs a playmaker, hopefully Brassard is it. We paid a heavy price, but if it works, out, that should be enough to place Ottawa squarely into the playoffs. No excuses for missing the post season from now on.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
At 23 Brassard put up 47 points in 74 games, on Columbus, for .64 ppg.

Mika at 22-23, put up 51 points in 81 games, for .63 ppg, his best season to date.

Mika isn't a playmaker, PP player, or a guy who has shown to raise his game (and had his ethic questioned many times). Brassard fills every one of those boxes. Mika will be a great 2nd line C for the Rangers, but Brassard fits the Sens like a glove at the moment.

Giving the 2nd somewhat bugs me, but it is what it is.
This past season was Zib's 22 year old season. Brassard at 22 put up 36 points in 79 GP.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
This past season was Zib's 22 year old season. Brassard at 22 put up 36 points in 79 GP.

And the year before that, Brassard scored 25pts/31gp, so who cares?

CBJ was not nearly as good a situation for Brassard as it was for Zibanejad, especially with Turris going down.

Either way, Brassard is a guy who took a little longer to mature, but he's there now. He's figured out how to be a great player, and has a lot of big game experience. He's also a LH center, and more of a playmaker, so he bits the bill much better than Zibanejad at this point in time.

Brown and White are both as good or better prospects than Zibanejad was at this point in time, so I'm really not worried about 3 or 4 years down the road from now.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Brassard is meant to help the Sens more in the immediate future. I think he will. It will be interesting to watch it play out. Its a good trade for the short term and financially for when it came time to resign Zib.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's not just about Brassard, I think it's a strong message to the team and a means of conveying urgency to the players.

No one is safe - it's time to get serious. Dorion said as much with his comment about the exit interviews and the players who'd said they'd be good in 2 to 3 years, and how that wasn't good enough.

They bring in two veterans in Phaneuf and Brassard, both known for their work ethic.

They bring back Chris Kelly who, regardless of his on-ice skills at this point, is known for his work in practice, his approach to shorthanded play, and has a Cup ring to show for it since leaving the Sens.

There is a window of Anderson's effectiveness and Karlsson's current contract that they have to try to push through and improve season outcomes. Erik won't stick around if he doesn't see the team getting better, and while catering to one player seems a bit simplistic, Karlsson leaving would be a disaster.

I don't think it's a Cup window as much as demonstrating a more consistently improving team, finishing higher in the standings and hopefully putting up a playoff winning series or two.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
It's not just about Brassard, I think it's a strong message to the team and a means of conveying urgency to the players.

No one is safe - it's time to get serious. Dorion said as much with his comment about the exit interviews and the players who'd said they'd be good in 2 to 3 years, and how that wasn't good enough.

They bring in two veterans in Phaneuf and Brassard, both known for their work ethic.

They bring back Chris Kelly who, regardless of his on-ice skills at this point, is known for his work in practice, his approach to shorthanded play, and has a Cup ring to show for it since leaving the Sens.

There is a window of Anderson's effectiveness and Karlsson's current contract that they have to try to push through and improve season outcomes. Erik won't stick around if he doesn't see the team getting better, and while catering to one player seems a bit simplistic, Karlsson leaving would be a disaster.

I don't think it's a Cup window as much as demonstrating a more consistently improving team, finishing higher in the standings and hopefully putting up a playoff winning series or two.

:handclap:

Well said

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

True but there is a reason for emphasizing Brassard in this thread if I understand the modus operandi correctly.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Very well said.

I was surprised when I heard about what the players were saying in the exit interviews.

They were definitely not on the same page as management, so I believe that a trade like this was definitely needed to shake things up, and to send a clear message to all involved.

Swapping out one of the lazier, less confident players, for basically a high end Pageau who thrives in (and relishes) the pressure cooker situations, has to have a big ripple in the atmosphere of the room.

Brassard said from day 1 that he thinks the Sens can start winning now, and he knows he's going to be a big part of that. We need everyone to get on board with that attitude, and see how far it takes us.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

......damn. I never heard that.

Only players I'd let slide with that excuse would be Lazar or Paul, simply based on age and lack of experience. Anyone else who said that....I'd definitely be worried about.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
......damn. I never heard that.

Only players I'd let slide with that excuse would be Lazar or Paul, simply based on age and lack of experience. Anyone else who said that....I'd definitely be worried about.

The players were saying they thought the team would be good in 2-3 years.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
I think a benefit to Brassard is he can play a similar game to Turris and Pageau. If Guy can develop a good system, that should make it easier to implement.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I love our top 3 centres. Hopefully Kelly still has something in the tank so I can love all 4.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Zibby at this point ,is what he is .300 games is the benchmark .he is a 45 to 55 point center .This trade was more about us moving on from him ,while getting a center that can better match how we would like the team to play.Brassard likely plays 3 years from us then moves on ,as we try one of White or Brown in his place:nod:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Me too, based on his play for his first year with the Senators. I hope he fully recovers from the concussions; however, I think his best days are behind him now and he will probably play a very safe soft game going forward, which will not be good for this team. Again, I hope I am wrong.

Basically my opinion as well & I also think that Puempel if he can find his scoring touch at the NHL level could be Macs injury replacement player.

The Rangers weren't giving up Brassard for Zibby straight up, so we had to add. I'm fine with it as long as Brassard continues to produce at the same pace he has the last few seasons.

Agreed & there is plenty of time to get the 2nd rd pick back with some other trade if required, maybe even at the draft.

Good post. The highlighted is probably what some thought about Subban leaving while others think that Weber is a good replacement for the time being. I would think that management would probably try & get something for him before he walks, I would go after Aron Ekblad who looks like he is a super star in the making .
if Karlsson plans on leaving.

The players were saying they thought the team would be good in 2-3 years.

Still not good enough, they need to be good now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad