Player Discussion Derick Brassard, Analytics Darling

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Meh, I hate "pace" arguments compared against guys who have played a full season.

It's a lot harder to maintain a pace over 82 games.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
75% in faceoffs.

75%.

Against Boston that is absolutely gold. Their bread and butter is possession off faceoffs.

The way hes been controlling parts of the PP has been wonderful to see.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Meh, I hate "pace" arguments compared against guys who have played a full season.

It's a lot harder to maintain a pace over 82 games.

You're right. Habs fans were a bit too fast calling Galchenyuk a PPG player because he started the season pretty hot. Not a lot of players are able to keep a PPG pace all over 82 games...

What I do is check the Pts per Game Played. For example, check under "NHL Miscellaneous" in that link :

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/b/brassde01.html

Last 4 years of Brassard : 0.56, 0.75, 0.73, 0.48

That's the best way to get a clear idea of how the player produced offensively but we are used to see "how many points in 82 games?" So I am using this PPG and pace it to 82 games for comparisons' sake.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He's been a huge spark on the #1 pp on the half wall. Great to see him and Bobby step up with Stone becoming a non factor.

Man, Foligno would be perfect on a line with Bobby and Brassard.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
He's been a huge spark on the #1 pp on the half wall. Great to see him and Bobby step up with Stone becoming a non factor.

Man, Foligno would be perfect on a line with Bobby and Brassard.

I think Stone's still hurt. If he closer to 100% they would really be rolling out there

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
I haven't liked the kid since his draft year, and don't care for 'pests' in general. If you can't win with honor and integrity, then you don't deserve to win.

I understand your position but there's not a single GM in this league who would agree with you. Those are the types of players that drive the opposition nuts and can lead to such valuable power plays in crunch time. History has shown that those types of players are extremely valuable in the playoffs. Marchand, Esa Tikkanen, Ken Linesman are just a few off the top of my head

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Stone can't skate.

He's labouring out there.

He can still make plays once he gets into the zone but his transition play is poor because he's so slow.

I think it's pretty obvious that he's injured. He was never really the same since the knee injury. Reminds me a bit of the Turris situation last season.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
75% total and 73% against Bergeron

73% against Bergeron.... the best in the league.... wow

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I understand your position but there's not a single GM in this league who would agree with you. Those are the types of players that drive the opposition nuts and can lead to such valuable power plays in crunch time. History has shown that those types of players are extremely valuable in the playoffs. Marchand, Esa Tikkanen, Ken Linesman are just a few off the top of my head

I know. lol, that's why I'm not a GM.

It just sucks that teams use that type of technique to win. Crazy world we live in when we preach one thing to kids, but do the exact opposite to have success in the real world.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Stone can't skate.

He can still make plays once he gets into the zone but his transition play is poor because he's so slow.

I think it's pretty obvious that he's injured. He was never really the same since the knee injury. Reminds me a bit of the Turris situation last season.

He hasn't had a takeaway it seems in forever. He was one of the best neutral zone players in the NHL before his injury, he's been so quiet, but he came through on the Phaneuf goal with a huge play and beautiful pass, but he does that 100 times a game.

I;m surprised with the young D Boston has he isn't picking more pockets.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Stone can't skate.

Was it a knee? I thought it was a groin. Either way it looks like its bothering him

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
Has anyone noticed Zibenejad even once in the last two games? No, he is irrelevant, always has been.

He decided to show up tonight, had a great game.

He had one of those game that make you think he's going to turn into Kopitar. Can he keep it up?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
For a guy who is labeled as a playmaker, Brassard really isn't that great of a passer.

Which is my biggest beef. I don't care if he is not scoring or how hard he is working. He should at least be making plays and setting players up with top 6 level skills.

He doesn't make that play that blows your mind be he is effective. Really good at controlling the puck and buying time for teammates to get open, also has an ability to slow the pace down that we really lacked last season.

I know everyone pointing at it being playoffs for Brassards turn around but he has been playing very well since the all star break, production wasn't always there but it was only a matter of time. Same goes for Bobby, who was dragged through the mud especially in march but his play once he game returned for good was much better.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This is the playoff Brassard we were promised... big fan

Brassard brings a lot of energy every time he steps on the ice, he picks up the pace & as this game goes longer Boston's older players are getting more tired & prone to mistakes. Although they are running out of vets. :laugh:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
He decided to show up tonight, had a great game.

He had one of those game that make you think he's going to turn into Kopitar. Can he keep it up?

Leads his team in playoff pts no?
Haha that guy you're replying to. Only a half eye open.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Brassard brings a lot of energy every time he steps on the ice, he picks up the pace & as this game goes longer Boston's older players are getting more tired & prone to mistakes. Although they are running out of vets. :laugh:

Agreed and we need it. I love his up tempo style

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
8 points in 6 games against Boston.

I dare say that we are all very happy now? Well almost all of us, bad asset management is not something that is easily overcome.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
8 points in 6 games against Boston.

I dare say that we are all very happy now? Well almost all of us, bad asset management is not something that is easily overcome.

Anyone who's mind is changed about a trade with significant long-term implications after 6 games is a fool.

Brassard played very well in round 1. Good on the guy for stepping up when we needed him, but that doesn't change the fact we got boned in the trade.

Exact same logic goes for the Ryan trade. Would anyone seriously want to pull the trigger on that trade again because of a great round 1 performance?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad