Player Discussion Derick Brassard, Analytics Darling

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I put him on the same tier as Karlsson and Stone in terms of hockey IQ/hockey sense. His problem this season was indecisiveness, but he's playing more instinctively now.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Brassard didn't shoot often and had a crappy 7.5% shooting percentage. His indecisiveness, especially on the PP, and a season where he had little puck luck, makes me think he'll bounce back next season with 50-55 points. Just needs to shoot more.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The "traded a Swede for him" effect.

Meh, Zibanejad didn't exactly progress this year so the trade is still a wash.

Yeah, he was injured, but if you've been following his play on the Rangers board as I have, you'll see the same adjectives: "inconsistent", "prone to disappearing for stretches", "misses the net with his shot", "not involved" etc.

I think Brassard has looked better with Stalberg and Burrows so I'm hoping to see good things against the Bruins.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Imagine in a few more of those were off the post and in instead. He'd have substantially more goals if not for such horrible puck luck...:sarcasm:

OwkLa.gif

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Brassard didn't shoot often and had a crappy 7.5% shooting percentage. His indecisiveness, especially on the PP, and a season where he had little puck luck, makes me think he'll bounce back next season with 50-55 points. Just needs to shoot more.

Is this where I mention he hit a career high in shots this year...

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Is this where I mention he hit a career high in shots this year...

Huh, I just assumed it would've been one of lower amounts in his career. Seems like he barely shot this season.

Career high in shots while shooting at 7.5%. More reason to expect the goals to come.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Huh, I just assumed it would've been one of lower amounts in his career. Seems like he barely shot this season.

Career high in shots while shooting at 7.5%. More reason to expect the goals to come.

And his peripheral stats are pretty good, too. I read this on Twitter this morning and it resonated: if you want Brassard to score more, what do you do other than tell him to keep doing exactly what he's doing?

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I put him on the same tier as Karlsson and Stone in terms of hockey IQ/hockey sense. His problem this season was indecisiveness, but he's playing more instinctively now.

lool you can't be serious.

Karlsson and stone are 2 of the top 3 smartest players we've ever had.

McD37

Oct 10, 2016
Wish Brassard and Ottawa good luck in playoffs. I hope you beat Boston, do not like them.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
lool you can't be serious.

Karlsson and stone are 2 of the top 3 smartest players we've ever had.

He's a very quick thinker and makes great plays in close that show he is a step ahead of most players on the ice.

If he's not in that tier he's right below it.

Who would be the 3rd player on your list?

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
If he played the way he played defensively this year and scored about 5 more goals and had 5 or so more assists i think no one would complain. I expect him to perform better next year.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ryan is actually pretty smart when it comes to hockey IQ and pulling things off in tight spaces.

I'd put him ahead of Brassard with Stone and Karlsson.

It's just too bad the rest of his game is mediocre.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
He's a very quick thinker and makes great plays in close that show he is a step ahead of most players on the ice.

If he's not in that tier he's right below it.

Who would be the 3rd player on your list?

Alfredsson.

And no he's a pretty slow thinker, especially in the offensive zone. Seems to create most of his opportunities by out hustling not by out thinking. He has no creativity or vision in his game right now.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Ahead of Brassard? I disagree.

They are ahead of Brassard. Turris at the very least is by a good margin. Turris has the ability to play with anybody in the lineup and be successful, not Brassard.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Alfredsson.

And no he's a pretty slow thinker, especially in the offensive zone. Seems to create most of his opportunities by out hustling not by out thinking. He has no creativity or vision in his game right now.

Agreed for the Alfie, disagreed for most of the rest (except the hustling part).

They are ahead of Brassard. Turris at the very least is by a good margin. Turris has the ability to play with anybody in the lineup and be successful, not Brassard.

Saying that Hoffman is on par with Brassard strictly speaking hockey IQ is inaccurate at best.

Also I agree with Nyquil, Bobby is pretty high there too.

Maybe the tiers should be:

Karlsson
Stone

Ryan
Brassard/Turris

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Agreed for the Alfie, disagreed for most of the rest (except the hustling part).

Saying that Hoffman is on par with Brassard strictly speaking hockey IQ is inaccurate at best.

Also I agree with Nyquil, Bobby is pretty high there too.

Maybe the tiers should be:

Karlsson
Stone

Ryan
Brassard/Turris

I'd argue Pageau is on a similar level to Brassard too. He plays tougher minutes against better players and whenever he's with better players he produces. Makes smart plays offensively and defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad