Recalled/Assigned: Derek Forbort Gets the Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
Forbort has been the meat in the Schultz/Tarasenko sandwich and for a while now we've all been saying "Where's the Beef". Now we get to find out if it's a Whopper or a Quarter Pounder.

(Ohhhh, i love a good hamburger analogy) :bb:

Captain Mittens*

Forbort has been the meat in the Schultz/Tarasenko sandwich and for a while now we've all been saying "Where's the Beef". Now we get to find out if it's a Whopper or a Quarter Pounder.

or if it's a 4x4

dscn0739.jpg

or should I say Forbort X 4?

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

If you are hoping for anything close to either of those, you're going to be disappointed.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I'm excited to see him play, but am also keeping in mind that he'll need a bit of time to adjust. Hopefully, at the very least, the team gets a little bit of an energy boost from an excited kid stepping into the show.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
And once he sets foot on the ice in a NHL game he will complete the extremely rare feat of seeing every player drafted in the first round of his draft year having played in at least one NHL game (Joey Hishon has never played a NHL regular season game but did appear in three playoff games last year).

Good for him. I don't expect he'll be anything outstanding in his NHL career, but he looks like he could carve out a successful long-term one similar to a Stephane Robidas.

This is more of misnomer than anything. Although factual. When you look at the non-forwards drafted that year in the first round, here's what you currently have out of it:

3 Florida Erik Gudbranson D -- Fourth full season with Florida
10 NY Rangers Dylan McIlrath D -- 3 games total with Rangers
11 Dallas Jack Campbell G -- 1 game with Dallas
12 Anaheim Cam Fowler D -- Fifth full season with Ducks
13 Phoenix Brandon Gormley D -- 20 games total with Phoenix
15 Los Angeles Derek Forbort D
22 Montreal Jarred Tinordi D -- 39 games with Montreal
23 Buffalo Mark Pysyk D -- 67 games with Buffalo, and currently in minors almost all year
27 Phoenix Mark Visentin G -- 1 game with Phoenix

What you have are two players that made the jump seamlessly. Gudbranson and Fowler. After that, you have a collective group of guys that have seen very little NHL experience since the 2010 draft. Most got some games in only because their respective team threw them a bone, or they lacked depth. At any rate, the Kings didn't tend to do that, and didn't need to given the depth they had at defense. Also, of note, most of the players in the lower rounds aren't much different. Justin Faulk and Jon Merrill are two exceptions. They both play regularly on Carolina and New Jersey. So, if you want to take a chance of drafting D, well for the most part, you're going to have to wait for them to develop. Speedy fully matured forwards are more likely to have an immediate impact on an NHL team, like the references to Tarasenko, Nelson, etc. So, the only two D that have really made it in the first round were taken ahead of Forbort. So, to me, it's really early to tell how this will all play out, even though he's already 22 and it seems like a long time ago he got drafted.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
This is more of misnomer than anything. Although factual. When you look at the non-forwards drafted that year in the first round, here's what you currently have out of it:

23 Buffalo Mark Pysyk D -- 67 games with Buffalo, and currently in minors almost all year

What you have are two players that made the jump seamlessly. Gudbranson and Fowler. After that, you have a collective group of guys that have seen very little NHL experience since the 2010 draft. Most got some games in only because their respective team threw them a bone, or they lacked depth. At any rate, the Kings didn't tend to do that, and didn't need to given the depth they had at defense. Also, of note, most of the players in the lower rounds aren't much different. Justin Faulk and Jon Merrill are two exceptions. They both play regularly on Carolina and New Jersey. So, if you want to take a chance of drafting D, well for the most part, you're going to have to wait for them to develop. Speedy fully matured forwards are more likely to have an immediate impact on an NHL team, like the references to Tarasenko, Nelson, etc. So, the only two D that have really made it in the first round were taken ahead of Forbort. So, to me, it's really early to tell how this will all play out, even though he's already 22 and it seems like a long time ago he got drafted.

Good post. I would say Forbort could prob finish the season in the Manchester this year and spend one more season next year and still be fine.

As DL has said before, no one ever says a young player spent too long in the minors, only that they got called up too soon.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

It's not a misnomer.

Go through every draft since the league expanded to 12 teams, its rare to see every first round player appear in even one game. How rare? Well, if Forbort plays and makes it so everyone from the first round of the 2010 has appeared in a NHL game it will be just the seventh draft ever to see this happen. The others were 1973, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1983, and 2003.

If you remove the drafts where the highest drafted player to not play in a NHL game was drafted higher than 31st overall (thus making it equal to a 1st rounder today) That number drops to just four drafts; 1977, 1983, 2003 and 2010.

When I said it is rare for every player in the first round of the draft to make the NHL it is and we are talking over an entire career. The guys from 2010 are all 21-23 years old, they are just starting their careers. The fact all 30 have reached the NHL at this point in their careers should be applauded and acknowledged as amazing.

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
Tommy's looks like something Jamie Lee Curtis makes after shooting an Activia spot.

Didn't your parents ever teach you not to judge a book by its cover? I mean if all people ever did was judge a book by its cover people like Flour Child would have never had a chance to have his 7 or 8 Flour Children. :shakehead

Captain Mittens*

It's true. I have 8 children from 84 different mothers.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
If this season does turn into a a lost cause, I'd love to see some younger guys get some big-time experience to prepare them for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad