Recalled/Assigned: Derek Forbort Gets the Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
The Mayor John Hoven
‏@mayorNHL
(new article) Confirmed: LA Kings​ Calling Up a Defenseman - full story http://mayorsmanor.com/?p=29600 #LAKings #AHL #NHL #hockey

And in the article

At the 2010 NHL Draft, held in Los Angeles for the first time, there was a buzz in the air about midway through the first round. GM Dean Lombardi was about to do what he does best at the league’s annual event, swap some assets with one of his cohorts. Dealin’ Dean ultimately traded his first round pick (19th overall) and Philadelphia’s second-round pick (59th overall) for the No. 15 selection. Who was he interested in? Would it be the Russian, Vladimir Tarasenko? One of the big centers, Nick Bjugstad or Charlie Coyle? How about one of the local kids, Beau Bennett or Emerson Etem?
None of the above. He went with 6-foot-4 defenseman Derek Forbort, who was still in high school at the time and playing in the U.S. National Training and Development Program. For the next three years, the Minnesota native would hone his craft at the University of North Dakota before turning pro and signing a three-year entry level contract with the Kings in April 2013.
MayorsManor can now confirm that tomorrow morning it will be announced he has been called up to the NHL. Here are 10 tidbits you may not know about him:

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
And once he sets foot on the ice in a NHL game he will complete the extremely rare feat of seeing every player drafted in the first round of his draft year having played in at least one NHL game (Joey Hishon has never played a NHL regular season game but did appear in three playoff games last year).

Good for him. I don't expect he'll be anything outstanding in his NHL career, but he looks like he could carve out a successful long-term one similar to a Stephane Robidas.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
From what I've read, he deserves it. I know it's easy to say we should have drafted Tarasenko but Forbot wasn't exactly a reach when picked #15 and was always known as a project. Hopefully he turns into a solid 2nd pairing defenseman.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Yeah but McNabb, McBain, Shultz... Are we really better off with a rookie with 0 games under his belt than those guys at this point in the season?

Schultz is injured right now, and Forbort isn't slated to play (I would think) at this point. As Jon Rosen pointed out, this recall is kind of a reward for Forbort who's been steadily improving in Manch.

I'd love to see him get in a game, though.

Last edited:

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
Yeah but McNabb, McBain, Shultz... Are we really better off with a rookie with 0 games under his belt than those guys at this point in the season?

He'll easily be more effective than Schultz (imo) whose hurt anyway. He's better defensively than McBain.

Captain Mittens*

They need a 7th d-man, which means McNabb and McBain are McPlaying.

You should trust our development system by now and they gave him the nod over Shcultz. You should be jazzed about this. You should feel like dancing

Ron*

You should trust our development system by now and they gave him the nod over Shcultz. You should be jazzed about this. You should feel like dancing

Flour Child Brings It.......

.......Every Day!

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
That's awesome for him, he deserves it.

But he's not going in for McBain. McBain=pixie dust 2015.

AmadiosAmigos

Oct 27, 2010
Im very excited about this. Not that I expect him to be a difference maker right now, or that I even expect him in a game. But its a positive sign that our prospects like Forbort, Miller, Gravel et al are going to get a call, which hopefully will weed out the likes of Schultz, McBain, etc.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
What is a good comparable player? Braydon Coburn?

Surprised to see he is already 22, I remember back when we drafted him in LA, seems like just yesterday.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Are you sure that's not Richard Simmons? That looks like Richard Simmons.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

I didn't realize McShcultz was McHurt. That McSplains it. When did that McHappen? And I'm dancing in my pants. Always.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
I was going to ask about Shcultz but this thread gave me my answers. What happened to him?

On a side note, I saw Andrew Campbell was playing for Phoenix yesterday.

Got banged up in Friday's game in Providence. Not a serious injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad