Recalled/Assigned: Derek Forbort Gets the Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
I've seen him play a few times in person with the Sioux and King/Ducks rookies game. Lanky D, good positionally with an active stick and long reach, good at breaking up passes. Didnt seem like an overly physical player when I saw him, but maybe his time with manch has changes that a bit.

Excited to see him in a Kings Jersey.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
My hope has always been that he'd turn out to be like Willie Mitchell or Rob Scuderi. If he turns out to be at their level, then I'd consider his selection a success.

I'm not expecting him to be a point producing dman but given his draft position, but expecting him to be a long-time D-partner one one of the top two pairings shouldn't be unrealistic.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
My hope has always been that he'd turn out to be like Willie Mitchell or Rob Scuderi. If he turns out to be at their level, then I'd consider his selection a success.

I'm not expecting him to be a point producing dman but given his draft position, but expecting him to be a long-time D-partner one one of the top two pairings shouldn't be unrealistic.

Agree with this wholeheartedly but I'd also add that like McNabb even the non-point-producing d-man types have a good first pass, which allegedly Forbort does (i.e. can't just be a plodder anymore, have to at least be able to move the puck). Sounds more like a bigger Rob Scuderi (Jeff Schultz size?) defensively but with McNabbs puck movement.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Forbort's upside is Mitchell and his downside is Jeff Schultz.

I liked the pick at the time because he had the size and reach you can't teach and some untapped offensive potential. It was a low risk high reward pick, had he developed the offensive game and some physicality to go along with his reach and outlet pass he could have been a potential top pairing guy. He just did very little developing at UND.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
He was barely productive at UND with seasons of 15, 13 and 17 points, and he registered 17 points in his first full season in Manchester and had 10 points thus far in 48 games, so putting up numbers was never his forte.

However, what is impressive is that he's never been a minus player at the different levels he's played at, so hopefully that pattern continues in the NHL.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=31265

I'm definitely not expecting him to be a big time crusher on the blueline, he was never known for that despite his size, but if he is active with his stick and using his body to at least get in the way of oncoming fore checkers and keep them at a distance, then he'll be a useful defenseman on this roster.

I just hope he does not turn into another turnstile like Jeff Schultz or Keaton Ellerby, two other big dmen who aren't known for being assertive physically.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
He was barely productive at UND with seasons of 15, 13 and 17 points, and he registered 17 points in his first full season in Manchester and had 10 points thus far in 48 games, so putting up numbers was never his forte.

However, what is impressive is that he's never been a minus player at the different levels he's played at, so hopefully that pattern continues in the NHL.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=31265

I'm definitely not expecting him to be a big time crusher on the blueline, he was never known for that despite his size, but if he is active with his stick and using his body to at least get in the way of oncoming fore checkers and keep them at a distance, then he'll be a useful defenseman on this roster.

I just hope he does not turn into another turnstile like Jeff Schultz or Keaton Ellerby, two other big dmen who aren't known for being assertive physically.

Ellerby is another potential comparable. The thing with Forbort will be how he handles NHL speed, one thing that was a big concern for him in college was his lateral movement and getting beat to the outside by forwards, I remember a UND-Wisconsin game where current Monarch Michael Mersch really abused him a few times. Forbort's reach can make up a lot of that.

I guess I'm a little bit bearish because I don't believe in the "well if all else fails he will be another Scuderi" being an excellent defensive defenseman in the NHL against the best of the best is just as much a skill as being a goal-scorer, it's not something just anyone can do. Now obviously he can fall somewhere in between and likely will, just a bit disappointing that his development was stuck in neutral for so long.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
From what I've read, he deserves it. I know it's easy to say we should have drafted Tarasenko but Forbot wasn't exactly a reach when picked #15 and was always known as a project. Hopefully he turns into a solid 2nd pairing defenseman.

obrazek.php

Captain Mittens*

Those two were both ruined by being thrown in to the fire so early. The Kings development speaks for itself

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Forbort will handle the speed just fine, He is a fantastic skater(probably his best attribute). Schultz/Ellerby can't skate well.

Forbort does.

The Slap Shop

Shop Like a King
Dec 23, 2002
Visit site
Also don't forget with Schultz about waivers. Any call up will pretty much trigger him having to go on waivers if sent back to the AHL.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Forbort will handle the speed just fine, He is a fantastic skater(probably his best attribute). Schultz/Ellerby can't skate well.

Forbort does.
I agree. He skates very well for a big guy. Has good quickness for a big guy also. His quickness allows him to stay with his man in coverage, get his stick in passing lanes, and oh yeah, it's a long reach, and makes it hard for forwards to drop back into soft spots for shots, he's able to stay tight in coverage. Also, with his skating, he doesn't just eat the puck too often. He uses his speed to elude forecheckers and gain enough time and space to make good first passes. He has a really good poke check while not over comitting. It's hard for skaters to back him off with speed because many get too close to him and he pokes it away. He's a very athletic kid for his size. What he needs to get better at is his play and confidence on the offensive blue line. He needs to get better at getting shots through, changing angles, making himself available to receive passes to take shots. He also could jump up in the play more at times than he does. Some of these offensive skills do look a lot better than just last year. With a little confidence and practice in these areas, he could get better yet. IMO, he's still got more upside left in his game. It's a matter of it coming out of him. I'm excited to see him play. I think he will do just fine once settled in.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
As damacles mentioned, Forbort has a better skating ability than Schultz and Greene. He should at least be able to keep up with the play

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
I believe in Schultz plays more games for the Kings this season he also becomes waiver eligible?

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
i've been waiting for this since he got picked

Congdon Park kid.....Duluth East kid

a kid from my old neighborhood and hockey teams makes the Kings

it's just a call up and he still has plenty to work on, but this is the next step

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad