Player Discussion Denis Gurianov - "Change of scenery edition"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
A brain and work ethic
I'm not sure I agree about work ethic. I never once thought he looked lazy on the ice.

I think a lot of people interpret a player's lack of hockey awareness as "lazy". I just don't think Gurianov understands the game enough to be able to use his talent effectively.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I'm not sure I agree about work ethic. I never once thought he looked lazy on the ice.

I think a lot of people interpret a player's lack of hockey awareness as "lazy". I just don't think Gurianov understands the game enough to be able to use his talent effectively.
Oh man, all I saw was him floating around the ice. Look completely disengaged unless the puck was in his vacinity or he saw and opportunity to transfer to offense. He waited for it, didn't initiate it which isn't ideal. Looked like he didn't want to fight for pucks on the boards either. I'm glad we've moved on from him.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Oh man, all I saw was him floating around the ice. Look completely disengaged unless the puck was in his vacinity or he saw and opportunity to transfer to offense. He waited for it, didn't initiate it which isn't ideal. Looked like he didn't want to fight for pucks on the boards either. I'm glad we've moved on from him.
I think that's more of an indicator that he just doesn't really know what to do or where to be when the puck isn't on his stick.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
0.8M sounds like something Habs should have afforded. I thought he was ok. With another year under Marty he'd probably get better.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Meh, I wasn't completely against giving him another season but I can't say I'm sad we didn't. I don't think he'll ever really figure the game out at this point, he'll always leave people looking for more.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
No, they can't be traded because their guaranteed contract are horseshit.

No, they won't be sent down because they don't want to take away ice time from their young guys coming up for the likes of Gurianov.
Who are we taking about that has a untradeable contract…
we don’t have 9NHL level prospect in Laval having a NHL level player won’t take anything away from anyone it would only help them…
If they don’t want to send him to Laval they can just lend him to a other AHL or euro team or send him to TR… there zero obligation to play him even with a guaranteed contract the only guarantee is that he will get payed which isn’t a issue…

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Who are we taking about that has a untradeable contract…
we don’t have 9NHL level prospect in Laval having a NHL level player won’t take anything away from anyone it would only help them…
If they don’t want to send him to Laval they can just lend him to a other AHL or euro team or send him to TR… there zero obligation to play him even with a guaranteed contract the only guarantee is that he will get payed which isn’t a issue…
Man, that's a lot of work for a dime a dozen player.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
With is speed, size and shoot figure I would have take him over Hoffman in the lineup…
I don’t get how you can have that speed and size and not at the very least go and throw some hits. Maybe these guys are comfortable coasting and collecting 850K per year, but if they show some physicality they could easily double that amount.

At some point you need to have the realization that you were once much more skilled than your peers, but the NHL is a different beast so you need to find a niche.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I don’t get how you can have that speed and size and not at the very least go and throw some hits. Maybe these guys are comfortable coasting and collecting 850K per year, but if they show some physicality they could easily double that amount.

At some point you need to have the realization that you were once much more skilled than your peers, but the NHL is a different beast so you need to find a niche.
I think it's easier said then done. When I played sports, I recall dominating in lower leagues and then barely being able to follow the pace at the highest level. No matter how hard I worked, my brain just didn't process the game fast enough. Even though I had the physical skill to dominate at lower levels, I just didn't process the game quick enough.

You can't will yourself into being a good player. Even guys like Gallagher who make it because of their hard work still process the game very well and have a good understanding of where to go and what to do with the puck.

Reactions: le_sean

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

I think that's more of an indicator that he just doesn't really know what to do or where to be when the puck isn't on his stick.

Both of these statements are true, they are not mutually exclusive.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022

I remember reading a comment on Josh Anderson where the writer postulated that his strong skating ability meant that he didn't learn to use his size (or incorporate it in his play) that much while playing junior hockey, he was just outskating the opposition

Of course Anderson can be physical but he's not very good along the boards despite his size. For Gurianov playing on Euro big ice it was probably even worse.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don’t get how you can have that speed and size and not at the very least go and throw some hits.
2VqZa7D.gif

Last edited:
  • Haha

CharleyHorse

Sep 28, 2022
Clearly a raw talent but I would have been willing to offer him another year. Unfortunately, we are stuck with Gallagher and his 6,5M instead.
yeah, Gallagher's contract sucks, but at least he earned it during his good years, and still, he continues to leave it all on the ice. Gurianov earned sweet FA, and plays like he wants to be in the KHL.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
At least trying makes you skate around like a chicken with it’s head cut off, if u don’t understand the strategy of changing your position both offensively and defensively.
If he doesn't or can't understand strategies at this point in his career, he's hopeless and should go to the K

Reactions: 1909

JohnTheBaptist

We are brothers/sisters and of the Divine Source
Nov 13, 2022
He didn't help himself with that warm-up jersey thing. Hope he finds his game in Nashville.
I disagree, many of us are sick of that shit being showed down our throats, nobody cares about anyone's sexual. Thankfully the NHL came to their senses and is eliminating that moving forward.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I disagree, many of us are sick of that shit being showed down our throats, nobody cares about anyone's sexual. Thankfully the NHL came to their senses and is eliminating that moving forward.

Clearly the ignorant assholes around the league care 'cause they could suck off the military happily but couldn't wear a jersey to tell people that those of other sexual orientation are allowed in the league.

And it does matter because hockey culture has been one of the most homophobic cultures out there.

Reactions: bcv and MXD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad