Player Discussion Denis Gurianov - "Change of scenery edition"

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He reminds me of a poor man's Josh Anderson.

You would think a 6'3 speedy skater with a laser beam of a shot would make things happen out there but he really doesn't.

If he wants to come back for less it's probably worth giving him a full year with the Habs to see if he can show more, but I'm pretty lukewarm on him.

Anderson has been able to continuously learn, and put the work in to learn, throughout his career.

Gurianov definitely has to take a page out of JA's book. He has to see himself as a work in progress that he is going to put a lot of time and work into. He mainly has to learn how to win board battles, protect the puck along the wall, and not turn the puck over in all 3 zones. Those are teachable and learnable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadienna

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
I am not worried Gurianov will amount to anything relevant. I glad we’re taking a shot at Andersson on a two-way deal instead

Reactions: jrom and PhysicX

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Great size/skating/shot power assets. Puck management in critical areas needs work and he's in his prime years now. I think hockey IQ holds him back a little. I do think he can be a good middle 6F type from age 26-30 though. He just has to comprehend his weaknesses a little better.

Good luck with the Preds. We tried to create space to keep him but we are too cluttered. I do wonder who has better seasons in the next few years... Gurianov or Newhook? Of course we will defend Newhook because we just acquired him and he's younger but didn't Newhook take his spot? And no, I'm not that low on Newhook. Just a pondering thought.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Great size/skating/shot power assets. Puck management in critical areas needs work and he's in his prime years now. I think hockey IQ holds him back a little. I do think he can be a good middle 6F type from age 26-30 though. He just has to comprehend his weaknesses a little better.

Good luck with the Preds. We tried to create space to keep him but we are too cluttered. I do wonder who has better seasons in the next few years... Gurianov or Newhook? Of course we will defend Newhook because we just acquired him and he's younger but didn't Newhook take his spot? And no, I'm not that low on Newhook. Just a pondering thought.
I liked Gurianov, right after the trade was made, scored a couple of very nice goals, but he then went full on Armia and just disappeared.....
I guess they thought they would be better with Ylonen who will squeak his way into the lineup.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Clearly a raw talent but I would have been willing to offer him another year. Unfortunately, we are stuck with Gallagher and his 6,5M instead.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I liked Gurianov, right after the trade was made, scored a couple of very nice goals, but he then went full on Armia and just disappeared.....
I guess they thought they would be better with Ylonen who will squeak his way into the lineup.

Yeah, he was showing us his speed/size/shot but then faded. Ylonen also showed up well when he was called up and I guess he was a bit more consistent. Younger player with more energy to prove himself I guess.

Clearly a raw talent but I would have been willing to offer him another year. Unfortunately, we are stuck with Gallagher and his 6,5M instead.

Yes. I don't like attacking players but Gallagher is a much bigger problem vs Hoffman/Armia.

Reactions: windycity and the

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Yes, what would that have anything to do with the situation…Player is getting paid regardless, doesn’t mean he has to play, can’t be traded or can’t be sent down to the AHL…
No, they can't be traded because their guaranteed contract are horseshit.

No, they won't be sent down because they don't want to take away ice time from their young guys coming up for the likes of Gurianov.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
You can definitely see why he was selected 12th overall. Big, fluid skater, heavy shot with fast release.

But, there is just something missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad