Confirmed with Link: Dell claimed by NJ!

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
If he gets 12 starts, I don't think it's unreasonable to think he might go 5-7 or even 6-6 while Wedgewood might have gone 2-10 or 3-9.
Ya, it's not how many wins Dell could give us. It's how many losses the other two would get... Although even bad/borderline goalies have the odd spectacular game.

Reactions: glenwo2 and hidek91

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
The Devils won 3 out of 7 games last year (counting OT Losses as losses for simplicity). Blackwood basically was .500, and anyone else was .333. I think realistically the best Dell could do is .400? In 12 starts, that's likely a difference of 1 win.

Still, points is points.

Reactions: NJDevs26

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
4uaqdj.jpg

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I'm not quite as hyped on this as others are, but I really don't care either. So whatever all around.
Hyped is a very strong word here lol. I just don’t want Scott freaking Wedgewood to be the extent of our NHL back-up goalie depth and Comrie’s a complete unknown.

I’m guessing we don’t lose Wedge or even if Edmonton grabbed him they would eventually ship him back to NJ and so we’d have him on the taxi squad incase Dell implodes. And then they can throw Senn out there if Wedge implodes.

I’d prefer Senn playing with the AHL, if only not to stick that team with Cormier or, uh, Brodeur. Cormier killed that team early on last year. Maybe he can improve to point where he’s not murdering their hopes and dreams every time he starts but the depth is real shaky without Crawford.

Part of the problem for me is they signed Brodeur, who sure looks like a ECHL-level goalie at best, to bolster our depth. He doesn’t exactly inspire confidence, he feels like a weird legacy signing. Low end pro hockey spots are way scarcer this year so the team gifted Marty’s son one. Hopefully he can prove me wrong.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I heard it was actually a salary cap issue because of Robertson's injury. Imagine that, a cap team not benefiting from an injury.
The Leafs had a 21 man roster with three goalies, he was their one spare extra player. It was always going go south with injuries.

Tampa is keeping a 20 man roster on off days to save accumulated LITR relief (or something along those lines at least). They have thirteen forwards in their line-up now, none of whom are waiver exempt, and five defensemen. Yep, BriseBois threw both Cal Foote and Luke Shenn on the taxi squad to save cap space. Shenn’s not even waiver exempt but he’s so bad that BriseBois wasn’t afraid to waive him. It turned out Luke Shenn is actually good for something after all.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
He's a competent NHL backup, which is more than we've had recently. Glad we claimed him.
Exactly this.
This is the best possible goalie option out there.
Id say he is a very very good backup , on the bubble to be able to be a 1b starter on a team with crap goaltending - Hawks.
Now when the Coyotes waive one of Hill or Raanta ..... we can claim him too and roll with Blackwood Dell and Hill/ Raanta lol . Waive Comrie and Wedgewood

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The only other negative about Dell other than his size causing some pucks to miss him, is he’s sort of a Keith Kinkaid type that likely won’t have a long NHL career.

Hopefully he has one good year left in him.

Reactions: Guttersniped

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
The only other negative about Dell other than his size causing some pucks to miss him, is he’s sort of a Keith Kinkaid type that likely won’t have a long NHL career.

Hopefully he has one good year left in him.
kind of a late bloomer ? he broke into the NHL at 27 and is 31 now

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
The Devils won 3 out of 7 games last year (counting OT Losses as losses for simplicity). Blackwood basically was .500, and anyone else was .333. I think realistically the best Dell could do is .400? In 12 starts, that's likely a difference of 1 win.

Still, points is points.
I think there is more to it than that. Having a shaky goaltender is not good for the rest of the teams confidence and influences how they play. If you have a crap goalie that cannot be depended on , players are more likely to put themselves slightly out of position or make a certain little play different knowing that if the other team gets a routine shot on net , that it could result in a goal.....

Having a goalie make a huge save or a saves at a crucial point in a game is something that effects the game big time yet does not really show up in any stats.
When you hear players talk about playing with Marty in the net , they all said how awesome it was to know that you have a goalie that is able to steal games and make timely saves and keep you in tight games and gives the players a confident boost.

There is nothing worse than playing your ass off in a 0-0 game , dominate the opponent , and have the other team come down and score on a stoppable shot. Big time demoralizing.

I have way more confidence in Dell letting in fewer soft goals than I do Wedgewood and Comrie.

Aghh I wish Crawford was still here !!!!!!

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I think there is more to it than that. Having a shaky goaltender is not good for the rest of the teams confidence and almost influences how they play. If you have a crap goalie that cannot be depended on , players are more likely to put themselves slightly out of position or make a certain little play different knowing that if the other team gets a decent shot on net , there is a good chance that it could result in a goal.....

Having a goalie make a huge save or a saves at a crucial point in a game is something that effects the game big time yet does not really show in any stats.
When you hear players talk about playinbg with Marty in the net , they all said how awesome it was to know that you have a goalie that is able to steal games and make timely saves and keep you in tight games and gives the players a confident boost.

There is nothing worse than playing your ass off in a 0-0 game , dominate the opponent , and have the other team come down and aqueeze in a stinker for a goal. Big time demoralizing.
The other thing I was seeing was that when you have a shaky goalie, you tend to over-compensate and try to do too much, leaving your actual assignment open. It's like a whole domino effect.

Reactions: Tretyak 20

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Whenever any move is made that improves the team , I am pumped . And this is exactly an example of making the team better. Not night and day different , but still an improvement none the less

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Goaltending murdered us last year. Even the biggest Schneider homers had to see how unplayable he was in most of those games. Domingue was somehow even worse a lot of the time.

Blackwood may have even had more bad games because there was a point that he was played in games (like when he had a suspected concussion) that he really shouldn’t have even been playing in.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Goaltending murdered us last year. Even the biggest Schneider homers had to see how unplayable he was in most of those games. Domingue was somehow even worse a lot of the time.

Blackwood may have even had more bad games because there was a point that he was played in games (like when he had a suspected concussion) that he really shouldn’t have even been playing in.

The funny thing is that if we had, let's say, Crawford last year, we would have made the playoffs. Blackwood's record was actually quite good.

Reactions: Bleedred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad