Declined contract offers that ended up a blessing

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
The Islanders offered Vanek a contract in the range of 7 years $50 million in 2014 after acquiring him earlier that year. He chose to turn down that offer and the whole thing seemed like a huge debacle after giving a 1st rounder to Buffalo and then having to flip him at the deadline for lesser pieces.

Of course a few years later, this is looking like Vanek did the Islanders a huge favor considering how quickly he has fallen off.

Is this the biggest dodged bullet in recent memory?

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
The Islanders offered Vanek a contract in the range of 7 years $50 million in 2014 after acquiring him earlier that year. He chose to turn down that offer and the whole thing seemed like a huge debacle after giving a 1st rounder to Buffalo and then having to flip him at the deadline for lesser pieces.

Of course a few years later, this is looking like Vanek did the Islanders a huge favor considering how quickly he has fallen off.

Not really because then they went and signed Ladd to an even worse contract a couple years later. So if they signed Vanek they probably wouldn't have given Ladd that contract. So not really a bullet dodged, just put off for a year.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Not really because then they went and signed Ladd to an even worse contract a couple years later. So if they signed Vanek they probably wouldn't have given Ladd that contract. So not really a bullet dodged, just put off for a year.

True. These GM's just don't learn their lesson. Nearly every long term big money UFA signing has been an epic failure.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
I am curious his reason for declining, did he really hate the Islanders and as he said did not want to go to Brooklyn? did he think he was going to get a similar offer on the open market? was his mind set on Minny as was speculated and no offer could change that? reality is he is still going to be making about 30 Million or so during that 7 year span on top of 50 Million he got on the Sabres so I am sure he is not kicking himself that much.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I am curious his reason for declining, did he really hate the Islanders and as he said did not want to go to Brooklyn? did he think he was going to get a similar offer on the open market? was his mind set on Minny as was speculated and no offer could change that? reality is he is still going to be making about 30 Million or so during that 7 year span on top of 50 Million he got on the Sabres so I am sure he is not kicking himself that much.
My understanding is it was all about Minnesota.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Should definitely change the thread title to offers that were declined.

Flames lucked out on B. Richards and ROR offer sheet.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Oilers were offering Clarkson pretty much the same deal as the Leafs and he said no.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

He was entirely set on Minnesota, and everyone in the hockey community knew it. Minnesota leveraged that into less AAV and years than he would have gotten elsewhere - still had to buy him out.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He's still pacing 50-60 points, and that's without playing on a guy like Tavares' wing.

I think the "falling off" is a bit overstated.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden

From my understanding, Vanek spent his offseasons/holidays in Minnesota where he owned a house prior to signing with the Wild. He played at the University of Minnesota in the early 2000's, so it's possible he's been calling it home ever since. He's been playing hockey in North America since he was 15, so it wouldn't be surprising if he intends to settle down in Minnesota after his playing career is over.

Either way, I really don't think he's dwelling over declining the Islanders offer at all. Vanek was one the highest paid players in the league for many years during his long tenure with the Sabres, and has continued to earn a decent amount of $$ since parting ways with them. From an economic standpoint, he's more than fine I think.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Buffalo offered him even more before trading him. The rumor is he would have been the 3rd highest paid forward in the league if he accepted Buffalo's offer. Darcy Regier also turned down Tyler Seguin straight up for him in the off-season only to turn around and trade him for Matt Moulson and a 1st round pick just a few months later. It's also believed Pat LaFontaine wanted to re-sign Ryan Miller to a contract that would have made him one of the highest paid players in the league but Tim Murray was set on trading him.

Basically Buffalo has been terribly run for a while.

Reactions: LeafChief

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
Lucic not accepting Lombardi's offer of I think 5.25 x 8 years was a blessing in disguise. Having Lucic tied up for so long, even if the cap hit is acceptable for a few years, would have been brutal.

I think Lucic is a solid player, but even this year we're pretty much full on forward spots; if Lucic was part of the team, we might have missed out on gems like Iafallo or Kempe playing this season.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Leafs offered Bolland 5 x 5, and then Tallon upped it by 500k each year.

Also offered Franson 4.6 a year in 2015 for probably unknown length prior to him being a UFA.

Saved LTIR space plus a 1st, leispic and a 6th. Lost leispic for nothing, but traded down with that 1st to get more picks with bracco/dermott/dzierkals.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Clarkson not signing in New Jersey for ~$4M or whatever. Although he probably would have done better if he stayed here since we knew how to use him.

Reactions: Fixxer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad