Declined contract offers that ended up a blessing

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
I may be misremembering but I think the blues offered similar money/term to Brouwer (possibly more $$) but he turned it down since his dad's ranch is near Calgary.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Ken Holland offered Matt Beleskey only slightly less money than Boston gave, as well as tried to resign Brendan Smith for a slightly smaller deal than he took with NYR.

Imagine the trouble we’d be in if we had those two contracts too

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The Senators offered Cowen 8 years 28M (3.5M AAV), Cowen bet on himself and instead took a 4 year 12.4M (3.1M AAV) deal which was later bought out by the Toronto Maple Leafs after they acquired his contract to facilitate the Phaneuf trade.

Ultimately, it's not as bad as some of the offers here, because similar to Despres, if Cowen was bought out before 26, with a 3.5M AAV, his buyout cap hit would have been minimal due to the fact that players under 26 are only required to be paid 1/3rd of the remaining salary spread out over twie the remaining length of the contract.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Sundin turned down a 2 year $10M contract from the Canucks. The 2010-12 core would not have been possible if he accepted that.

Reactions: Fixxer

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
The Senators offered Cowen 8 years 28M (3.5M AAV), Cowen bet on himself and instead took a 4 year 12.4M (3.1M AAV) deal which was later bought out by the Toronto Maple Leafs after they acquired his contract to facilitate the Phaneuf trade.

Ultimately, it's not as bad as some of the offers here, because similar to Despres, if Cowen was bought out before 26, with a 3.5M AAV, his buyout cap hit would have been minimal due to the fact that players under 26 are only required to be paid 1/3rd of the remaining salary spread out over twie the remaining length of the contract.
Wasn't tim murray a big fan of cowen?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I may be misremembering but I think the blues offered similar money/term to Brouwer (possibly more $$) but he turned it down since his dad's ranch is near Calgary.

He was building a home in Calgary, most of his family is from BC.

Another one is Curtis Glencross. Turned down a Calgary offer in his UFA year because he told them he gave them a hometown discount during his prime (2.5 x 4 from 11-14) and wanted more money. Calgary promptly traded him to Washington, made it to the playoffs without him, got the extra picks; and Glencross couldn't find work in the NHL with his demands. Got a PTO from Toronto, didn't stick and is now doing intermission commentary (or was last year).

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
In 2014, when we got James Neal, I also heard we were interested in Lecaivlier, and Spezza. Man we totally dodged a bullet, James Neal did a whole lot for us.......................................................... And man Hornqvist did nothing for the Pens.............................................................................................

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Lucic not accepting Lombardi's offer of I think 5.25 x 8 years was a blessing in disguise. Having Lucic tied up for so long, even if the cap hit is acceptable for a few years, would have been brutal.

I think Lucic is a solid player, but even this year we're pretty much full on forward spots; if Lucic was part of the team, we might have missed out on gems like Iafallo or Kempe playing this season.
Or the Kings would've just dumped Dustin Brown who before this year was primed for a buyout.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Carolina offered Paul Kariya four years at $4.5M/yr coming out of the '05 lockout. He turned them down to sign with Nasvhille and Carolina ended up signing Cory Stillman for three years at $1.75M/yr and Ray Whitney for two years at $1.5M/yr instead, both which turned out to be huge steals and instrumental in their Cup run.

Reactions: Fixxer

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
From my understanding, Vanek spent his offseasons/holidays in Minnesota where he owned a house prior to signing with the Wild. He played at the University of Minnesota in the early 2000's, so it's possible he's been calling it home ever since. He's been playing hockey in North America since he was 15, so it wouldn't be surprising if he intends to settle down in Minnesota after his playing career is over.

Either way, I really don't think he's dwelling over declining the Islanders offer at all. Vanek was one the highest paid players in the league for many years during his long tenure with the Sabres, and has continued to earn a decent amount of $$ since parting ways with them. From an economic standpoint, he's more than fine I think.
Also isn't his wife from Minnesota?

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Wasnt Chiarelli really trying to re-sign Horton in Boston and he declined and signed in Columbus instead?

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Carolina offered Paul Kariya four years at $4.5M/yr coming out of the '05 lockout. He turned them down to sign with Nasvhille and Carolina ended up signing Cory Stillman for three years at $1.75M/yr and Ray Whitney for two years at $1.5M/yr instead, both which turned out to be huge steals and instrumental in their Cup run.

Do you have a link?

Damn...I know they won the cup, but I'm not sure this is a bullet dodged. Kariya with that uptempo game that they played in 2005-06 would have been such a pleasure to watch.

Reactions: LeafChief

Griffin6612

Jun 28, 2007
Pe guns dodged what was it ten years of Jordan staal at 6 million? No Kessle I suspect if that happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad