Declined contract offers that ended up a blessing

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
And they got a few good years out of Weber...best of his career I would say

But man, that could come back to bite them hard if he decides to retire near the end instead of playing it out or weaseling some sort of "oh noes I has a rash" LTIR deal

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
But man, that could come back to bite them hard if he decides to retire near the end instead of playing it out or weaseling some sort of "oh noes I has a rash" LTIR deal
I really doubt that the league would enforce an 20 mill cap hit on a contending team. That means bye bye to top 4 D and at least 1 of Johansen and Turris along with many others.
There's a case to be made that the CBA that came little after NSH matched PHI would have no effect, if it comes to that the league will probably decide on the matter.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I can't remember the details (or if they came out) but Feaster trying to sign Richards and him choosing the Rangers was by far the best dodge the Flames (maybe anyone) has ever had. I believe they were willing to at least match if not beat the 9 year 60 million dollar deal he got (yuck!).

Followed in second place by the Avs matching the ROR offer sheet which could have been the all time F up of any sport but I put it 2nd here because there is a tiny chance that the NHL may have ruled that he didn't have to go on waivers in which case we would have been left with a worse player, who was older, didn't fit in the teams development and was way, way overpaid than what we got with the pick we would have had to give up.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
When Jordan Staal was offered 6 million per year by Shero. 6 million for a 45 point 3rd line center would've been awful for the Penguins..luckily he didn't take it. Plus the Penguins most likely don't get Kessel, who's twice the player Staal is...

Reactions: SI90

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
The Edmonton-Michael Nylander/Mike Gillis fiasco in 2007:

On Sunday, July 1, 2007, Kevin Lowe, Oilers General Manager, and Mr. Mike Gillis, Certified Agent for Michael Nylander, negotiated and agreed to a multi-year NHL Standard Players Contract, starting in 2007/08. Mr. Gillis confirmed same to the Oilers in writing.

The Oilers then proceeded with preparations to announce Mr. Nylander’s contract agreement on July 2, and concurrently continued with the process of negotiating with other free agents based upon Mr. Nylander being an important roster ingredient for the future.

However, while the Oilers were expecting the returned, signed agreements from Mr. Nylander and Mr. Gillis, the Oilers discovered through public announcements made mid-afternoon on July 2, that Mr. Nylander had subsequently entered into a long-term contract with the Capitals.
Oilers statement regarding Michael Nylander

Nylander signed with the Capitals for 4-years, $19.5M and was terrible. The contract with the Oilers was for more money (4-years, $22M, I think).

Last edited:

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I really doubt that the league would enforce an 20 mill cap hit on a contending team. That means bye bye to top 4 D and at least 1 of Johansen and Turris along with many others.
There's a case to be made that the CBA that came little after NSH matched PHI would have no effect, if it comes to that the league will probably decide on the matter.
Why would the league not enforce a rule just because it would hamper a team?

I may not be completely understanding. Was the rule in effect when the contract was signed or did the rule come afterwards?

Reactions: Cor

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
The Islanders offered Vanek a contract in the range of 7 years $50 million in 2014 after acquiring him earlier that year. He chose to turn down that offer and the whole thing seemed like a huge debacle after giving a 1st rounder to Buffalo and then having to flip him at the deadline for lesser pieces.

Of course a few years later, this is looking like Vanek did the Islanders a huge favor considering how quickly he has fallen off.

Is this the biggest dodged bullet in recent memory?
Vanek has been awesome tho

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary
Montreal dodged a bullet when Lucic turned down a 7 year offer from the Habs. According to an interview he did, it was basically down to Montreal and Edmonton, and thank god he chose Edmonton.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

I may not be completely understanding. Was the rule in effect when the contract was signed or did the rule come afterwards?
The cap recapture penalty came in as part of the 2013 CBA to punish teams who "circumvented" the salary cap with long-term contracts during 2005-12. Luongo is another candidate.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland

Well, they were forced to match the sheet.
They also didn't make the deal on their terms, although them accepting said deal takes away some benefit of the doubt there.
#1 defenseman was trying to leave town or boost his salary, NSH would have had no Suter and no Weber in the same summer. Two #1 Defensemen out of town the same summer.

How can NSH recover and build this success they have now earned if they let Weber walk that summer?
The current CBA was agreed upon in January 6th 2013 and so, it clearly is newer than the offer sheet and some way to work around the recapture penalty should be there, but it still should remain the league's decision.
That deal in itself is also illegal in the new CBA's rules.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Since Lucic was already mentioned, Kings were ready to back up the Brinks truck for Kovalchuk and Brad Richards. Worked out for the best for the Kings both declined.

I would argue that Chara to the Kings ended up being a blessing in a roundabout way as well.

Or the Kings would've just dumped Dustin Brown who before this year was primed for a buyout.

Yeah, would have been MUCH better if we were stuck with Lucic AND Brown's lengthy buyout while Brown enjoyed success elsewhere (while the Mike Richards payoff is also on the books till beyond the end of the world)!

Nope, sorry, that Lucic buyout is alllll yours.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Didn't kings want Kovalchuk but he choose to re sign with the Devils? If so it's possible they don't get Richards and Carter and win their cups.

yangmang

Sep 28, 2006
The Islanders offered Vanek a contract in the range of 7 years $50 million in 2014 after acquiring him earlier that year. He chose to turn down that offer and the whole thing seemed like a huge debacle after giving a 1st rounder to Buffalo and then having to flip him at the deadline for lesser pieces.

Of course a few years later, this is looking like Vanek did the Islanders a huge favor considering how quickly he has fallen off.

Is this the biggest dodged bullet in recent memory?
none

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Not really because then they went and signed Ladd to an even worse contract a couple years later. So if they signed Vanek they probably wouldn't have given Ladd that contract. So not really a bullet dodged, just put off for a year.

The Jets dodged the Ladd bullet.
Chevy reportedly offered him 6x6 in the summer before the start of the 15-16 season. Ladd was coming off a great season (Jets had made the playoffs) but their captain had also had off season hernia surgery. He turned it down (assuming he wanted more term or more AAV)

He was brutal for the first half of the year.
Fortunately he had turned this down and the Jets chose to move on from him.
With the LW's we have now Ladd would be a very expensive player in the lineup taking away opportunities from younger / better players.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Not sure if this thread is only about active players, but here's one about the Devils and Bobby Holik: www.espn.com/nhl/news/story?id=1840485

In a nutshell, the Devils dragged their heels a bit in offering Bobby Holik a long term extension prior to 2002. Holik felt disrespected and rejected the eventual offers. The final offer from the Devils was five years, 40 million; Holik signed with the Rangers for 5/45. Holik more or less conceded that if the Devils had made their offer before the 01-02 season, he would have likely signed.

Devils ended up in a cap crunch after the lockout, but perhaps Holik would have been an amnesty buyout.

TwzKing

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2004
Didn't kings want Kovalchuk but he choose to re sign with the Devils? If so it's possible they don't get Richards and Carter and win their cups.

That any Smyth crying about going home to raise his kids because the super wealthy beach communities were not safe enough for them.

Those things don't fall our way, we flounder away

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad