Declined contract offers that ended up a blessing

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Clarkson to Edmonton was a dodged bullet for them. It was rumored they offered him more than the Leafs which is clearly insane. Also it's doubtful that Edmonton would have traded him for Horton.

McDLT

I'm a style boy for life
Mar 1, 2016
Calgary
Kind of a stretch, but the Jets wouldn't have been bad enough to get Laine if they had successfully signed Frolik at the end of the 2015 season. We signed stafford instead of Frolik and got a lotto pick because we sucked.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Montreal dodged a bullet when Lucic turned down a 7 year offer from the Habs. According to an interview he did, it was basically down to Montreal and Edmonton, and thank god he chose Edmonton.

Ya. Lucic would be Montreal's leading scorer. All for the low price of 6 mil.

Good thing they avoided that.

Reactions: SullivanT

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Clarkson - Ottawa and Bolland - Toronto are two that come to mind immediately.

Ottawa dodged bullet in Clarkson, and Bolland took $500k more to go to Florida instead of staying in Toronto for $5 million/year.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
When time machine is invented Vanek will go back in time and accept the Islanders offer.

How many players have already done so?

giphy.gif

Reactions: WeegarUnderwood

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Not doubting you, but I never heard this one before.

Are there any articles out there showing the Avs' interest in Orpik?
FWIW, I remember Orpik doing an interview with a Pittsburgh radio station after signing with Washington, and he said that he was considering signing with Colorado.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The league wrote that section into the CBA specifically as punishment for teams that had signed players to cap circumventing contracts. It wasn't an unintended effect... it was the whole point of adding that clause. It doesn't matter who drafted the initial contract- the fact remains that Nashville was the club that reaped the cap benefits from the early years of his contract, so they will be the ones hit with the penalties should he retire.

I sincerely doubt the league as a whole cares about rescuing the Preds from their own bad decisions, especially since it would set a terrible precedent. Found the below chart re: just how bad it might get for Nashville....

Screen_Shot_2016-06-29_at_5.20.33_PM.0.png

Except that is the fallacy of the argument, outside of one season, Nashville never used that savings. There was one season where it would have put us over, the rest that savings was never utilized, so one could make a strong argument that Nashville gained almost nothing from the structure.

Secondly Nashville didn't write the contract, and while it was accepted, Philly, not Nashville created the terms. Even worse is those terms were specifically structured in a predatory way to hamper a small market team at the time to encourage them not to match.

Finally, there is no way Betteman is going to let one of his success stories of southern expansion get completely destroyed because of a crap contract someone else created 15 years earlier and the team had little choice but too match. I figure at worst Nashville gets stuck trading back for him and throwing him on LTIR just like Chicago has done with their contract.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
For the Leafs....

Dave Bolland 5x5 (Tallon bailed us out)
Cody Franson 4 million+
And then the reported 6 year front loaded offer to Brad Richards that would have carried a 9.5 cap hit....thank God the Rangers beat us to the punch on that one.:thumbu:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Montreal apparently offered Radulov 3 years at 5.5 per year. Thankfully Dallas offered him more because we just didn't have room for him in our already awesome top 6.
Ya, you guys luckily dodged that Markov single year signing as well....at least you got Alzner.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Except that is the fallacy of the argument, outside of one season, Nashville never used that savings. There was one season where it would have put us over, the rest that savings was never utilized, so one could make a strong argument that Nashville gained almost nothing from the structure.

Secondly Nashville didn't write the contract, and while it was accepted, Philly, not Nashville created the terms. Even worse is those terms were specifically structured in a predatory way to hamper a small market team at the time to encourage them not to match.

Finally, there is no way Betteman is going to let one of his success stories of southern expansion get completely destroyed because of a crap contract someone else created 15 years earlier and the team had little choice but too match. I figure at worst Nashville gets stuck trading back for him and throwing him on LTIR just like Chicago has done with their contract.

So you're really trying to tell me that from 2012 through 2016 the Preds were at all times more than 6 million dollars below the cap? Because that's what it would have had to be for them to have gotten no benefit from that contract structure.

For purposes of that rule, who drafted or even who signed the contract has exactly zero bearing on the recapture penalties. It's all about what team benefitted from the contract structure (the early years where he making 14million in real dollars and a bit of 7 for cap purposes). I get that it sucks as a Preds fan, but the reality is the other teams would riot if that penalty wasn't enforced. About your only option is to get the Habs to trade him back to you then beg him not to retire, but to pretend to be injured instead so you can LTIR him.

All this "destroy the franchise" stuff is hyperbole and overreaction. Other teams have gotten into cap crunches before and will again. Yup, you have to trade some of your good players and probably suck for a while, but that's how it goes. You spent years benefitting from an advantage that was not available to other teams. Now its time to pay the piper.

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
I don’t remember the exact numbers, but Buffalo reportedly offered Shane Doan many millions for many years before he re-signed with the Coyotes.

Nov 24, 2006
Not sure if it was just a rumour, but I heard that the JETS offered Andrew Ladd 6 x $6.0 million before he hit UFA and that he turned it down?

If true, thanks Andrew!

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Ottawa offered Clarkson $200,000 more per year as per Tim Murray at the season ticket holder meet and greet.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Zach Parise and his 13 year contract is going to be a huge problem for Minny moving forward and even in the years he has played the dude is a bandaid that has never reached the heights in NJ that led to the contract to begin with.

Nov 24, 2006
Not sure if this thread is only about active players, but here's one about the Devils and Bobby Holik: www.espn.com/nhl/news/story?id=1840485

In a nutshell, the Devils dragged their heels a bit in offering Bobby Holik a long term extension prior to 2002. Holik felt disrespected and rejected the eventual offers. The final offer from the Devils was five years, 40 million; Holik signed with the Rangers for 5/45. Holik more or less conceded that if the Devils had made their offer before the 01-02 season, he would have likely signed.

Devils ended up in a cap crunch after the lockout, but perhaps Holik would have been an amnesty buyout.

Did Glen Sather just sit around lighting money on fire in his spare time?

20130421-164850.jpg

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Ducks offered 1 less year but more money than the Bruins for Matt Belesky. Whew...

but then we gave Stoner a 4 year contract and extended Kevin Bieksa + NMC before he even played 1 game for us.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Clarkson not signing in New Jersey for ~$4M or whatever. Although he probably would have done better if he stayed here since we knew how to use him.

Ottawa made a big push for Clarkson as well, thank god we didnt sign him or we would be a dumpster fire right now...oh wait...

Reactions: Altimus

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
So you're really trying to tell me that from 2012 through 2016 the Preds were at all times more than 6 million dollars below the cap? Because that's what it would have had to be for them to have gotten no benefit from that contract structure.

For purposes of that rule, who drafted or even who signed the contract has exactly zero bearing on the recapture penalties. It's all about what team benefitted from the contract structure (the early years where he making 14million in real dollars and a bit of 7 for cap purposes). I get that it sucks as a Preds fan, but the reality is the other teams would riot if that penalty wasn't enforced. About your only option is to get the Habs to trade him back to you then beg him not to retire, but to pretend to be injured instead so you can LTIR him.

All this "destroy the franchise" stuff is hyperbole and overreaction. Other teams have gotten into cap crunches before and will again. Yup, you have to trade some of your good players and probably suck for a while, but that's how it goes. You spent years benefitting from an advantage that was not available to other teams. Now its time to pay the piper.
I'm telling you it's not going to happen just watch and see. 24 million in cap hit if it's one season, that is forcing us to trade Subban, Arvy, and Joey in one season just to get under the cap.

I'm telling you Betteman isn't going to let it happen. The reason I think so? No way Poile trades Weber and loses the ability to control that factor unless he knows something everyone else doesn't. Poile isn't short sighted enough to do that, he always has planned ahead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad