Prospect Info: DeBrincat Part 2

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
His ability to time his shots and hide the release is elite from what I have seen so far.

For sure, when he scores, it's hard to even see it sometimes, at least for me, I'm curious as to what flex he's using.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
His ability to time his shots and hide the release is elite from what I have seen so far.

It is .... however the entire league will be well aware of that gift. Can he do it in NHL traffic is the question?

What also caught my eye was his competitiveness and his ability to find the open man. He doesn't have the speed to create his own open ice, hence it will interesting to see if he can adapt in that regard but I can easily see he and Kane playing keep away on a regular basis.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
It is .... however the entire league will be well aware of that gift. Can he do it in NHL traffic is the question?

What also caught my eye was his competitiveness and his ability to find the open man. He doesn't have the speed to create his own open ice, hence it will interesting to see if he can adapt in that regard but I can easily see he and Kane playing keep away on a regular basis.

Not saying he's as good or will be as good but think Brett Hull; smart, find the soft spots in coverage/anticipation of play to open yourself up to get a shot off and use said weapon to put it away. He's also scrappy and willing to be in the crease area for garbage goals, too.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

I am sure they are aware of it but it is a skill that is hard to combat. Being overly physical will just cause a bigger screen issue for goalies.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I am sure they are aware of it but it is a skill that is hard to combat. Being overly physical will just cause a bigger screen issue for goalies.

No question that (with that great release) once he is in position Cat can and will snipe. I reckon his biggest challenge will be to get into that position in the first place. If he can, look out. Hopefully that feisty play we see as a teenager will continue when playing against men. He'll need to play that way.

Last edited:

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
What I like to see is for his size he doesn't fear contact and is always looking to go to the harder areas of the ice. You don't score consistently in the NHL unless you can get chances below the dots.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
He isn't a slow skater,bad skater,or that his skating is an issue.

He skates as quickly as the situation requires
and btw. there's a reason why he seems so often, "slow", "sluggish"
its part of his game and one part why he does what he does.

His size,lack of it,or lack of pounds that matter...also,not an issue

He knows his limits and turns them around to his favor and uses them
against his opponents.

Alex DeBrincat is like... combination of a chess player and illusionist,

- With his super high hockey IQ it seems that he is several steps ahead of everyone
- With his style of play,he fools everyone to believe that he is average in
everything what he does,but before you know it,the "trick" has been made
you didn't see it and the only thing you see after,is the red light

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
He isn't a slow skater,bad skater,or that his skating is an issue.

He skates as quickly as the situation requires
and btw. there's a reason why he seems so often, "slow", "sluggish"
its part of his game and one part why he does what he does.

His size,lack of it,or lack of pounds that matter...also,not an issue

He knows his limits and turns them around to his favor and uses them
against his opponents.

Alex DeBrincat is like... combination of a chess player and illusionist,

- With his super high hockey IQ it seems that he is several steps ahead of everyone
- With his style of play,he fools everyone to believe that he is average in
everything what he does,but before you know it,the "trick" has been made
you didn't see it and the only thing you see after,is the red light

I like it!
Bobby Fischer meets Harry Houdini

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
They were aware of Mike Bossy's release and shot too...still could not prevent the goals piling up ..So I am not worried...he will get shots off and score ...special gift ...few have it.The issue is only that he must be top 6 ... 2nd line LW ...they will not not feature him as a bottom 6 guy ...so Q must decide whether line 2 is better with him or Sharp playing LW ..Q may look at tge 209 foot game not just offensive production because Kane is hardly great defensively ..So there us that ..

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
They were aware of Mike Bossy's release and shot too...still could not prevent the goals piling up ..So I am not worried...he will get shots off and score ...special gift ...few have it.The issue is only that he must be top 6 ... 2nd line LW ...they will not not feature him as a bottom 6 guy ...so Q must decide whether line 2 is better with him or Sharp playing LW ..Q may look at tge 209 foot game not just offensive production because Kane is hardly great defensively ..So there us that ..

This would be my concern. Defensively I am not sure putting a tiny 19 year old with Kane would work, there is already a big issue with Kane's line getting pinned in the defensive zone. If this kid is really good maybe it would work better to put him on Toews line and Saad goes with Kane?? Something to consider.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So the thing is...we have D-Cat on his 3 yr ELC which has slid a year to start this season so we have 3 seasons of him relatively CHEAP at about $2.7 something if he makes bonus targets...BUT we can always push tge bonus part into next season if required(assuming he plays in the show this year and makes the bonuses)..but IF he does impact and star big time then he is RFA in 20/21 ....Unfortunately we will still have Keith 3 more seasons then and his cap hit plus the fiasco Seabrook cap hit still going 4 more years ...Hard to see how we may have to pay huge market value for D-Cat then if he becomes a top goal scorer in tge NHL..So we might only have the luxury of him fir the next 3 seasons amd so only 2 to enjoy 8n Chicago viewing if he spend year 1 as a pro in Rockford..Sort of robbng Chicago fans on the entertainment value of 1 whole season of the 3 we have him...Unless of course they pull the old Kane waives his NMC to Gome hom to Buffalo by then..at some point they nay need to consider the trade off in years remaing to keep "stars" given the cap ramifications. D-Cat in 3 years only 22 ...Kane after 3 more years starts heading into geezer hood or at least the age process will make it more risky to hold him at the expense of more youthful impact stars . SO we have to be careful what we wish for...that darn cap is going to make for real tough decisions if we have our Prospects get too successful...you gotta pay in this league for impact .

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
This would be my concern. Defensively I am not sure putting a tiny 19 year old with Kane would work, there is already a big issue with Kane's line getting pinned in the defensive zone. If this kid is really good maybe it would work better to put him on Toews line and Saad goes with Kane?? Something to consider.
I think the alpha and omega of the team right now is getting Toews' game kickstarted. Right now I think Saad is the player that has the best chance of doing that. El Gato with Toews might mean Toews' focus has to be more defensively--especially with a small FWD like him. Now, I'm pretty sure El Gato on the 1st line will get a look, but I think it'll start with Saad and Panik on the 1st line.

If El Gato is a Runblad-level defensive liability, he won't last the 10 games be it with Toews or Kane and his ELC slides (not necessarily a bad thing and Rockford can season him, defensively).

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If putting him with Kane hurts that line defensively, could do this.

Saad Toews Debrincat
Sharp Anisimov Kane
Hartman Schmaltz Panik
4th line

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I think people are overly worried about defensive impact from a winger on a line thats never been great defensively abd is deployed specifically to account for that weakness, plus its offensive potential.

Going from Panarin to Debrincat is not like you're going from a Marian Hossa to Debrincat.

It will be imcumbent on the Toews line and whatever the shutdown line ends up being to absorb the tougher matchups and starts to give GoodCat and Kane as much offensive-skewed daylight as possible.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
If putting him with Kane hurts that line defensively, could do this.

Saad Toews Debrincat
Sharp Anisimov Kane
Hartman Schmaltz Panik
4th line

IF and when Cat makes the team, the above combos make sense to me.... especially so for PO time. That said I'm assuming that Cat will be weak defensively (like Panarin was). DeBrincat and Kane will get their chances to play together, namely on the PP or in a game when the team is desperate to score.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
Can't wait til the season starts and it begins with a bang, vs. Stanley cup champ Penguins followed by the Blue Jackets :yo:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Can't wait til the season starts and it begins with a bang, vs. Stanley cup champ Penguins followed by the Blue Jackets :yo:

Hell yeah! I'm jacked for the preseason too, first game is Tuesday against Columbus! Hope Saad plays/gets a goal, still can't believe he's back!

saadgoal1.gif

851435186.gif

giphy.gif

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I think people are overly worried about defensive impact from a winger on a line thats never been great defensively abd is deployed specifically to account for that weakness, plus its offensive potential.

Going from Panarin to Debrincat is not like you're going from a Marian Hossa to Debrincat.

It will be imcumbent on the Toews line and whatever the shutdown line ends up being to absorb the tougher matchups and starts to give GoodCat and Kane as much offensive-skewed daylight as possible.

That would be fine if Debrincat would be as good offensively as Panarin was, but I highly doubt that will be the case. They will be scored on more than they are scoring compared to last year, by quite a bit I assume.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I haven't been following the off season that closely. What are his chances of making the team out of camp?

Basically still waiting for him to show us any reason not to put him on the team. Obviously, the preseason will be the biggest test by far. This guy rises to the occasion though. I have to believe he bags a few goals in the games, it's just a matter of him showing the coaches he can be more. Or, he brings nothing else but scores as well as Panarin in which case one would think he'd make the team and take that spot.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
However,in my mind,...that wasnt on Teräväinen and his inabilty
as a hyped hockey player,that all what happened,was all on Q.

Look how well he did last season with Canes,when given a correct role.

What role would that be? TT gradually improved his game with the Bhawks. His last year under Q he finished with 13-22=35 points. With the Canes and increased icetime he had 15-27=42 points, so it wasn't like it was a night and day difference.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I think people confuse Q's decisions on young players playing. He didn't play Pirri, Clendening, Teravainen right off the bat. They all had one thing in common. They were soft. Meanwhile Saad, Shaw, TVR got quick time.

Debrincat scores and scores and fights in the tournament. Makes me think he is more of column B than Column A.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
I think people confuse Q's decisions on young players playing. He didn't play Pirri, Clendening, Teravainen right off the bat. They all had one thing in common. They were soft. Meanwhile Saad, Shaw, TVR got quick time.

Debrincat scores and scores and fights in the tournament. Makes me think he is more of column B than Column A.

Good point. This board likes to give Q grief for not giving ice time to kids in development but there hasn't been that many that have left the Hawks on their own accord (non salary cap related) that has done much post Bhawks.

Clendening is on his 4th different team in 4 years. TT was a cap move but it's not like he's escalated his game any with the increased ice time. Florida gave up on a 26 year old Pirri after 3 seasons and he's become a journeyman, hooking up with Anaheim 2 seasons past and the Rangers this past year. Jimmy Hayes is coming off a 2 goal 3 assist campaign with the Bruins in 58 games. Kevin Hayes has done decent and the Bhawks wanted to keep him but he didn't want to be here once his brother got traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad