Injury Report: DeAngelo out at least a month with UBI - Smith out indefinitely

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I applaud you for not making a 1 sided proposal. It's not at all ridiculous. I'm just not as high on Severson as some are. I could be very wrong though.

I guess I'm seeing Severson as a bit of Skjei candidate and could make a big impact but the price being paid here is higher than what we paid for Skjei. I think the fit is there but maybe a pick needs to be coming back from NJ to even it out.

Reactions: Daeavorn and Tryamw

whiskers

Aug 2, 2018
This is a lot of if’s I’m going to post so please bear with me.
If we get Severson at $4,166,666.00
Buyout Gardiner at $1,483,334.00
Sign TDA for $6,000,000.00
Sign Lorentz @ $1,500,000.00
Necas @ $4,500.000.00
And Kotkaniemi @$4,000,000.00

We could sign Trocheck for $7,000,000.00 a year and still have $2,712,249.00 remaining

we would let Nino Walk and replace him with Drury
please dont buyout Gardiner , we would have to pay 3 mil next year and 1.5 the year after , and we would save what 2.5 just this year not worth it , ooops miss read salary cap , sorry , yeah if we cant trade his contract i guess buy him out , any news on him , Operation ,is he skating , what are the chance he can play in the playoffs?

Last edited:

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
please dont buyout Gardiner , we would have to pay 3 mil next year and 1.5 the year after , and we would save what 2.5 just this year not worth it , ooops miss read salary cap , sorry , yeah if we cant trade his contract i guess buy him out , any news on him , Operation ,is he skating , what are the chance he can play in the playoffs?
Actually according to cap friendly what I quoted was Gardiner’s cap hit the next 2 seasons

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I applaud you for not making a 1 sided proposal. It's not at all ridiculous. I'm just not as high on Severson as some are. I could be very wrong though.
You’re not. Devils fans think that guy can’t defend a paper bag floating in the wind. I’m not convinced theyre right to that extent but I don’t know that we want both he and Tony at the same time.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
You’re not. Devils fans think that guy can’t defend a paper bag floating in the wind. I’m not convinced theyre right to that extent but I don’t know that we want both he and Tony at the same time.

And Cole, albeit for a different reason. Both are bottom 5 in penalty differential among defensemen.

Then again, maybe the reason isn't that different. If a player is taking a bunch of minor penalties without drawing a chunk back, they're probably prone to losing positioning (body and stick). That's a negative comment about a player's defense.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'm not sure that Brady Skjei is out there for the getting this year. I HIGHLY doubt that Severson is that guy. I've never liked his play personally. The acquisition cost would be fairly high to get him and I'm honestly not convinced he's enough of an upgrade over what we're currently playing. I'd rather plug the whole with Chatfield if he's our only option. And I love me some chat. I'll take all the flak in the world for calling him "not NHL material" in my first viewing. I didn't see it. I think it's confidence.

That said, I'm totally open to finding another Skjei if one is out there. We probably have our top 4 set next year with Slavin, Pesce, Skjei, and Tony, but the bottom pair is a big question mark with a lot of maybes.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
TDA being hurt also hurts the Hurricanes other than him. Missing game. By having to call up Chatfield the Canes lose another $750,000 in cap space

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Does anyone know the nature and extent of Deangelo's injury? The whole thing is so unclear.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Does anyone know the nature and extent of Deangelo's injury? The whole thing is so unclear.
This is more than we often get. Usually, we get something vague like out for a while and it can be anywhere from a couple days to several months.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
remember a page or so back when i wasn't getting the whole 'to sign vatanen he has to clear waivers' thing? now that florida has signed lindbohm and placed him on waivers, seeing it in action has made the very painfully simple and straightforward process actually click in my stupid pickled brain.

i thought you'd all like to know.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
remember a page or so back when i wasn't getting the whole 'to sign vatanen he has to clear waivers' thing? now that florida has signed lindbohm and placed him on waivers, seeing it in action has made the very painfully simple and straightforward process actually click in my stupid pickled brain.

i thought you'd all like to know.
Damn, I didn't notice the post where you were wondering that. Yup, what exactly is put on the waivers to be claimed by any willing team is the player's SPC. So, the player needs to be signed onto one before he can be waived. The wording in the CBA is funny: "he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs) only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers". He can be signed though.

Reactions: geehaad

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Waddell not looking to change Hurricanes before NHL Trade Deadline: GM doesn't 'really want to trade anybody off our team' in Q&A with NHL.com

Coach Rod Brind'Amour said DeAngelo would probably miss around a month after he was injured against the Philadelphia Flyers on Feb. 21. Is that still the timetable?
"Yeah. I talked to him today. He was in the gym again today. He's progressing well. We're in a spot where we're going to make the playoffs. Whether we get Tony back in March or the beginning of April, we need him for the stretch and for the playoffs. We're not in a situation where we need to rush anybody back from an injury."

Smith participated in the morning skate before your game against the Seattle Kraken on Sunday. He was injured blocking a Danton Heinen shot off his head against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Feb. 20. How much longer will he be out?
"We'll get through this week. We'll see how he is toward the end of the week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad