Seravalli: Deal on the table for the Kraken to take Tarasenko, flip him to PHI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Philly is taking a pretty big risk here. If Tarasenko never returns to form, they lose out on their 1st AND a consistent 60+ point guy who's been with the team 10 years.

Considering Tarasenko's injury problems, I'd say Seattle would be lucky to swap them 1 for 1. Don't get why Philly has to add their 1st.

edit: oh, Voracek is exposed in the draft. Never mind...

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
That's the idea with the 1st being conditional on x games played.. if he plays, you'd think he will produce. If not, the pick is downgraded.

We very well might lose Jake for nothing, the pick is the sweetener to reunite Hagg with Hak.

They can take a good player for nothing, or perhaps we can turn this into something beneficial for both sides?
I do like the idea of the conditional. It would be absolutely necessary for me.

Reactions: Bruckuss

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
I still don't get it...do Philly fans really want to swap Voracek for Tarasenko? Is just because of age and contract, because I don't think their production will be that different.

both are probably 60-70 point players. but Tarasenko is 750k cheaper, signed for one year less, 2 years younger, and a far better goal scorer. a potential swap makes perfect sense for Philly. just would depend what else is included. i do think Tarasenko could top 70 points again if he's put on a line with Giroux and Couturier.

MoPucks

Feb 3, 2009
Stl
I know I am in the minority on this one but I really expect a nice bounce back season for Tarasenko. He's a pretty proud guy, and he's been working out like a mad man this summer - he can be a pretty dynamic player when he plays like he's got something to prove. The days of him scoring (close to) 40 are probably gone, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he pops in 25-30 next season. The surgeon that did his most recent surgery claims it is rock solid. I think it's a bit premature to claim he's done at this point. And if he does bounce back, his contract isn't that bad - he can probably be flipped at one of the next two deadlines if the team he ends up on is out of it.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Duncan Keith just got traded for positive assets I actually am starting to think you just make assumptions and don’t actually look at what’s going on in the league

Even if we ignore the fact that Holland acquiring Keith was generally viewed as a poor decision around the league, from a cap perspective we can still break it down and see that your comparison here is apples to oranges.

1. Keith makes 5.5 million. 8.25 million is 150% of 5.5 million. That is a big difference.

2. Keith's deal is only two years and he is only earning 2.1 million in 21-22 and 1.5 million in 22-23 in actual salary. That also is a huge difference. A buyout in year two (if necessary) is very manageable.

3. If Keith retires (which some assume he might after this season), Edmonton would actually have a "negative recapture fee" cap hit bonus of 3.4 million. That would be added cap space to their upper limit for 22-23. That is a HUGE plus. If Holland knows this is a sure thing, then it changes the entire picture.

Comparing Keith's and Voracek's cap implication is probably about as similar as comparing what each would bring to a new team on the ice.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Assuming that Seattle takes Gourde (sigh), we offer via trade:

Tyler Johnson and Mitchell Stephens to Detroit for their 2021 2nd, 2022 3rd.

We send our 2023 1st, the 2021 2nd & 2022 3rd from Detroit, and Ondrej Palat to Seattle

Seattle keeps 1/2 of Tarasenko's salary to Tampa.

Everyone wins.:thumbu:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Assuming that Seattle takes Gourde (sigh), we offer via trade:

Tyler Johnson and Mitchell Stephens to Detroit for their 2021 2nd, 2022 3rd.

We send our 2023 1st, the 2021 2nd & 2022 3rd from Detroit, and Ondrej Palat to Seattle

Seattle keeps 1/2 of Tarasenko's salary to Tampa.

Everyone wins.:thumbu:

And detroit says no to tyler johnson.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I don’t really understand this. Is Philly going to offer enough for him that it’s worth passing on Vince Dunn?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Dunn was offered around the league earlier this year, and it was reported that the best offer was a 3rd rounder.

also he plays the deepest position available in the expansion draft.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I don’t really understand this. Is Philly going to offer enough for him that it’s worth passing on Vince Dunn?
Dunn has become the second coming of Orr :sarcasm: He isn't that good. The Blues tried to move him up and down in pairings. He's a 3rd line defenseman who, when paired properly, could be a 2nd line defenseman in certain situations. I don't believe his hockey IQ is that high as some of his decision making can be lack luster.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I know I am in the minority on this one but I really expect a nice bounce back season for Tarasenko. He's a pretty proud guy, and he's been working out like a mad man this summer - he can be a pretty dynamic player when he plays like he's got something to prove. The days of him scoring (close to) 40 are probably gone, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he pops in 25-30 next season. The surgeon that did his most recent surgery claims it is rock solid. I think it's a bit premature to claim he's done at this point. And if he does bounce back, his contract isn't that bad - he can probably be flipped at one of the next two deadlines if the team he ends up on is out of it.
I hope so. Sounds like his injury had been previously mismanaged, then he came it late last season on an overall underachieving team, and he was apparently already disgruntled.

I certainly hope for a comeback after more months of training and conditioning, one of the more fun players to watch in his prime, if he gets anywhere near there. The right situation, with a solid offensive oriented playmaker center, if he could be a 70pt 30 goal scorer I’d be very happy for him

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Dunn has become the second coming of Orr :sarcasm: He isn't that good. The Blues tried to move him up and down in pairings. He's a 3rd line defenseman who, when paired properly, could be a 2nd line defenseman in certain situations. I don't believe his hockey IQ is that high as some of his decision making can be lack luster.
Problem was expansion was coming.

If Dunn is equal to or worse than your 3rd most valuable defenseman, teams would have no incentive to trade for him for risk of losing him to Seattle.

It's my belief that as a 4/5 that is only 24 with chance for improvement, he will have more value than a third after the draft. (If Seattle chooses to flip him)

Plus, he's probably more valuable than 75% of the other LHD available via expansion, so in that sense, the discussion value here is maybe more relative than real ; )

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021

If Dunn is equal to or worse than your 3rd most valuable defenseman, teams would have no incentive to trade for him for risk of losing him to Seattle.

It's my belief that as a 4/5 that is only 24 with chance for improvement, he will have more value than a third after the draft. (If Seattle chooses to flip him)

Plus, he's probably more valuable than 75% of the other LHD available via expansion, so in that sense, the discussion value here is maybe more relative than real ; )

+ he's very good on the PP. that's where most of his value lies

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown

Jake Bean, Haydn Fluery, Jeremy Lauzon, Nikita Zadorov, Gabriel Carlsson, and Shayne Gostisbehere are all equal to or slightly greater than Dunn. The Kraken are better off getting the 1st from the Flyers in this case.

Reactions: Larry44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad