Deadly crashes of hockey teams in transit (Humboldt 2018, Yaroslav 2011, Swift Current 1986, etc)

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Humboldt Broncos has 14 dead and 14 injured in hospital.

I immediately thought of Lokomotiv Yaroslavl a few years ago (edit: 2011, 43 of 45 killed), of the Swift Current Broncos bus crash back in '86 when I was in high school (killed a few players including Lindy Ruff's younger brother, though team top scorer Joe Sakic survived) and of the Czechoslovakian national team in 1948 that beat the Soviets then crashed on the plane ride home. (I heard the Soviet national team plane also crashed in 1950 losing most of its players but Stalin's son replaced the players before his father could even notice).

Terrible.

Did I miss any others? (Of course one or two players have died in accidents at one time or another. This thread is about team crashes in transit.)

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
the Czechoslovakian national team in 1948 that beat the Soviets then crashed on the plane ride home.

Actually the Czechoslovak national team was travelling from Paris to London. There were some issues with the travelling papers of a few players, so six players had to stay in Paris and take another flight the next day. That flight never arrived in London.

(I heard the Soviet national team plane also crashed in 1950 losing most of its players but Stalin's son replaced the players before his father could even notice).

It wasn't the Soviet national team but one of the leading Soviet club times of the time, VVS Moscow.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
does the russian 5 count?

it's terrifying, so many buses on so many long drives driving trekking so many snowstorms (not the case this week but still).

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
It's always tragic, even 1 death is to much and a tragedy. Thoughts are with everyone involved in the tragedy this past Friday.

Reactions: Killion

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Actually the Czechoslovak national team was travelling from Paris to London. There were some issues with the travelling papers of a few players, so six players had to stay in Paris and take another flight the next day. That flight never arrived in London.

What is sad about this tragedy is, that the government at that time considered them officially as they wanted to defect to England.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I know one death does not matter more than another, they are all bad, let's face it. With that being said, Joe Sakic and Sheldon Kennedy were on the bus crash from 1986 of the Swift Current Broncos. Hard to imagine the 1990s and 2000s without Sakic in the NHL. And while we're at it, does the Graham James scandal ever come out if not for Kennedy? Lots to think about.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
I know one death does not matter more than another, they are all bad, let's face it. With that being said, Joe Sakic and Sheldon Kennedy were on the bus crash from 1986 of the Swift Current Broncos. Hard to imagine the 1990s and 2000s without Sakic in the NHL. And while we're at it, does the Graham James scandal ever come out if not for Kennedy? Lots to think about.

Was Graham James on the bus? I think he was their coach that year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad