HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Well this is pretty disingenuous. If you exclude his rookie year he's got 279 points in 324 games which is a 70 point pace. Not to mention everything else he brings to the table. This would be like calling Suzuki a 60 point player by including his rookie year and you aren't getting a more productive player than Suzuki by trading the 5th OA pick.

Yes a major asset and a major piece of the team. What player will you get that is better than Svechnikov with 8 million? Not to mention that this hypothetical player would be considerably older and would have to agree to sign here at that money which is highly unlikely. You're hoping that Lindstrom becomes something close to Svech, and he's also had injury concerns too.
For 8 million Should be able to get 60-70 point UFA without giving up our pick. That pick likely a homerun

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
So May 7th we find out where we pick.

Deserves its own thread: pre-game talk?

Once again Kent Hughes says they have such depth on the left shot defense that they'd consider trading down if it was a clear LD BPA.

They're not taking Buium or Silayev or Dickinson
I think he was saying that about Reinbacher last year no?

This year would depend on how he values Buium, Dickinson, Saliyev, etc...

And what would he do if RD's Levshunov, Parekh, or Yakumchuck were on the board?

We'll find out at the end of June: take a forward, trade down, or take a d.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
So May 7th we find out where we pick.

Deserves its own thread: pre-game talk?

I think he was saying that about Reinbacher last year no?

This year would depend on how he values Buium, Dickinson, Saliyev, etc...

And what would he do if RD's Levshunov, Parekh, or Yakumchuck were on the board?

We'll find out at the end of June: take a forward, trade down, or take a d.

Last year he said that if Reinbacher was a left shot they might have gone a different direction. Nothing has changed there this year especially since our LD have all developed this year.

He didn't say right shot D, so those guys remain in the convo.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Last year he said that if Reinbacher was a left shot they might have gone a different direction. Nothing has changed there this year especially since our LD have all developed this year.

He didn't say right shot D, so those guys remain in the convo.
Yes, but he was talking about Reinbacher. What applies to Reinbacher may not apply to Levshunov, Parekh, Yakumchuck, etc...

They would be dumb not to look at every player carefully, regardless of position. It would be like saying we're taking the best center available between Kotkaniemi and Hayton, without even looking to see what there is in Quinn Hughes or Noah Dobson.

The wing position is the easiest to fill in free agency and trades.

Reactions: Troyp

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
For 8 million Should be able to get 60-70 point UFA without giving up our pick. That pick likely a homerun
Would you not give up the 5th OA for Cole Caufield? Svech also brings more than Caufield. There is no 60-70 points UFA who will sign here at 8 million and can do so consistently throughout the entire contract.

Reactions: ginomini

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
Drafting a player top 5 to then have to trade him or the teams current top prospect sounds like a pretty bad plan

Not if the idea is to maximize the value of your assets. If someone said I’ll give you a lottery ticket for $5M or a free home worth $8M do you say no I already have a home I’ll take the 5?

If Buium isn’t NHL ready let him cook for another year see who the best D man is and trade the other for an elite forward next summer in a package.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
Once again Kent Hughes says they have such depth on the left shot defense that they'd consider trading down if it was a clear LD BPA.

They're not taking Buium or Silayev or Dickinson

If the option is available, if it isn’t and one of them is clearly the BPA I have no doubt they’ll go for it, the guy rolled with 3 goalies for 3/4 of a season to maximize asset value lol I mean come on.

Reactions: dcyhabs

JT3

May 27, 2013
Wetsch is someone I would target with our 3rd round pick
I would take him with the COL 2nd. I wouldn't be shocked to see him go before that either, NHL GM's will love his game. His teammate Yakemchuk is probably my favorite D too (I know that's not a popular opinion here) and someone I would consider should Demidov and Lindstrom be off the board.

Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Would you not give up the 5th OA for Cole Caufield? Svech also brings more than Caufield. There is no 60-70 points UFA who will sign here at 8 million and can do so consistently throughout the entire contract.
Give up 8 million in caproom and our 5th is huge. No I wouldn't.

Sounds like you too high on Svechnikov. Last 3 years he's averaged 67 games played with only 24 goals and 59 points. Not really mind boggling numbers.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Nobody has Iginla at 5

Nobody knows who anybody has at 5 and unless you are entirely new to the entry draft you would know better than to make such bold proclamation. I agree that 5 is certainly stretching the borders of his likely draft selection but to claim that "nobody" has him there without a shred of evidence to support that assertion is just a waste of space in this thread.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Give up 8 million in caproom and our 5th is huge. No I wouldn't.
You are hoping that the 5th OA comes close to Svechnikov and his contract isn’t an overpay whatsoever.
Sounds like you too high on Svechnikov.
Sounds like you think physical 6’2 70 point scorers are easily acquired.
Last 3 years he's averaged 67 games played with only 24 goals and 59 points. Not really mind boggling numbers.
Again, if thats the production from our 5th OA pick we should be thrilled. We aren’t giving up Bedard here.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Going to be interesting to see if Demidov, Lindstrom and Iggy are all gone by 6, do the Habs stand pat and draft a RHD, like Yakemchuck? Or do they trade down to 10, 11 or 12 and grab a Sennecke or Greentree and grab extra assets. How much do they love the other forwards like Catton, Eiserman and Helenius? Another year where there should be a good bit of drama around our pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad