Value of: David Savard to the Leafs..

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
You have to think Savard would cost something less than what Muzzin did, with a sweetener for retention, right?

Muzzin cost a 1st round pick and two recent 2nd round prospects in Grundstrom and Durzi). Of those two prospects Grundstrom was seen as having 2nd round value, while Durzi was seen as likely overrated.

Therefore, if I was interested, my offer would be something like...

To Columbus
2021 1st round pick
Travis Dermott or Filip Hallander or Ronnie Hirvonen (all former 2nd's)

To Toronto
David Savard (retained)

I'm not saying I'd pay that price, but I understand why Columbus would ask for it!

That's just awful. Hes not getting a 1st let alone the other inclusions. Hes not a very effective player these days . Brodie and Holl are clearly better suited for top 4 play for Toronto. Seems like a fairly lateral move from Bogo to Savard prospectively . Hirvonen and Hallander are both real prospects additionally.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
They can ask all they want but there are about 5 teams that can actual spend money the buyers market is not a big one in a covid season.
That really doesn't concern us overmuch.

@IrishInOntario is pretty much spot on the money. I don't think it makes much sense for Toronto to be shopping here, because we're hoping to avoid a rebuild and consequentially the prices are a little high compared to a pure seller, especially if we're asked to retain.

Reactions: Monk

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I don't see most rentals getting a 1st round pick this year, not when there are about 5 teams with actual money.

Hall and Palmeri might get 1sts but I think that's it and even then I think those 1sts are conditional
I think your point proves his. The fact that very few teams have money means the offers will need to go up a bit to account for retention

Reactions: Viqsi

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I think your point proves his. The fact that very few teams have money means the offers will need to go up a bit to account for retention
Assuming it's one year retention (either expiring players being retained or expiring players being taken back), I think it has more to do with how many teams are on either side of the buy/sell line. There's no inherent or intrinsic value for anything, so in a year where there's not many buyers and a GM can get a 2nd rounder for a guy that they would have gotten a 1st+ 2 years ago, and the GM is facing losing that guy for nothing instead, then I think you'll see a bunch of guys go for a lot less than they would have in years past.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Leafs D are set and ready for a championship run. Even if they don't win they cup, they are obviously winning two rounds at least. I wouldn't bother with Saved.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Leafs D are set and ready for a championship run. Even if they don't win they cup, they are obviously winning two rounds at least. I wouldn't bother with Saved.

I am not sure if you’re just blowing smoke but we still have lots to prove. First worry about getting in first, then our first round opponent.

As for trading decent assets for a rental player no thanks. Unless there is a major injury I really like the way our D is playing. The fact that we lose Savard to FA or if we trade for a player with term we are likely losing them in the expansion draft. You are basically paying double the price and that is only worth it if you know you are winning the SC. We all know there are no guarantees with that so continue to take a measured approach and hopefully both Sandin and Liljegren can make that next step next year.

D Corp for 2021-2022
Rielly Brodie
Muzzin Liljegren
Sandin Holl

PK1
Muzzin Holl
PK2
Rielly Brodie

PP1
Rielly

PP2
Sandin/Brodie/Liljegren

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
I am not sure if you’re just blowing smoke but we still have lots to prove. First worry about getting in first, then our first round opponent.

As for trading decent assets for a rental player no thanks. Unless there is a major injury I really like the way our D is playing. The fact that we lose Savard to FA or if we trade for a player with term we are likely losing them in the expansion draft. You are basically paying double the price and that is only worth it if you know you are winning the SC. We all know there are no guarantees with that so continue to take a measured approach and hopefully both Sandin and Liljegren can make that next step next year.

D Corp for 2021-2022
Rielly Brodie
Muzzin Liljegren
Sandin Holl

PK1
Muzzin Holl
PK2
Rielly Brodie

PP1
Rielly

PP2
Sandin/Brodie/Liljegren
That's nice that you're humble, but let's be real, no one in that division has a chance against us in a 7 game series. We are the most complete team minus goaltending, and even then Campbell has been great.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
That really doesn't concern us overmuch.

@IrishInOntario is pretty much spot on the money. I don't think it makes much sense for Toronto to be shopping here, because we're hoping to avoid a rebuild and consequentially the prices are a little high compared to a pure seller, especially if we're asked to retain.

I expect them to ask for the moon, they should.

But they aren't going to let him walk for nothing and teams know that the price will come down the closer we get to the deadline right now we got 11 days until the deadline wd are at the starting price, not the final price

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Or the fact there are very few teams means Columbus doesn't get the bidding war they want

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I don't care what teams usually do.

Stack the team as much as possible

In your own words "it's about making sure you aren't f***ed if a top 4 D goes down "

That's what I was specifically referring to. If your intention is to stack the blueline then sure, Savard would be a big help. I'm pretty sure Dubas has no intention of doing that; As he stated at his presser earlier, his primary concern is adding a forward.

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
As much as everybody wants a top 9 forward and they should.

I also want another piece and the guy near the top of my list is David Savard only Ekholm is higher on my list.

You add David Savard to this group you got.

Rielly Brodie

Muzzuin Savard

Holl Dermott/Bogosian

then either Dermott or Bogosian as #7

To me that's championship level depth on defense

Some will say we don't need it but I watched Muzzuin go down VS Columbus last year, at that point the Leafs were screwed I dont want to see that happen again so bring in David Savard and protect against that

I understand your idea. I agree with your phrase “To me that's championship level depth on defense”.
I do not agree with the sequence of actions.
I have repeatedly written in the comments that I consider the health of goalkeepers to be the main problem in Toronto. First goalkeeper!!!.

I see my own version of the Toronto-Columbus deal involving Savard.

I understand that for such an exchange, fans of both teams can throw rotten tomatoes at me. :(

Toronto needs strengthening. The new division is a unique chance in the fight for the Stanley Cup.
It is advisable to leave in the team: Robertson, Amirov, Liljegren, Sandin.
TOR can give other avenues + 1st round pick 2021 +? ? ?

Toronto is needed: goalkeeper, defender, forwards.

CBJ has these players: Merzlikins (UFA 2022), Savard (UFA 2021), Foligno (UFA 2021)
They can help Toronto. But the compensation mentioned above is very small.

I think Toronto should exchange Nylander ($ 6,962,366)!!!

TOR

Merzlikins (@ 50% Ret)
Savard (@ 50% Ret)
Foligno (@ 50% Ret)
Total - $ 6,875,000

CBJ

Nylander $ 6,962,366
CBJ would strengthen its bargaining power with Laine.
Possibility of exchanging Nylander (Laine) depending on the outcome of the negotiations.

Of course, this is just a template for a deal. It is possible to add a player from the list, taking into account the salary cap:
Domi, Kerfoot, Andersen, Campbell.
It is possible to include these players in another deal.

Toronto has many alternatives. There is no point in overpaying.

Toronto's next move could be an exchange:
TOR - Palmieri (@ 50% Ret)
NJD - 1st round pick 2021 + B prospect +? ? ?.

The club would be among the favorites for the Stanley Cup. :)

In the summer, the club would have free money. :)

The best prospects would remain with the team. :)

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I understand your idea. I agree with your phrase “To me that's championship level depth on defense”.
I do not agree with the sequence of actions.
I have repeatedly written in the comments that I consider the health of goalkeepers to be the main problem in Toronto. First goalkeeper!!!.

I see my own version of the Toronto-Columbus deal involving Savard.

I understand that for such an exchange, fans of both teams can throw rotten tomatoes at me. :(

Toronto needs strengthening. The new division is a unique chance in the fight for the Stanley Cup.
It is advisable to leave in the team: Robertson, Amirov, Liljegren, Sandin.
TOR can give other avenues + 1st round pick 2021 +? ? ?

Toronto is needed: goalkeeper, defender, forwards.

CBJ has these players: Merzlikins (UFA 2022), Savard (UFA 2021), Foligno (UFA 2021)
They can help Toronto. But the compensation mentioned above is very small.

TOR

Merzlikins (@ 50% Ret)
Savard (@ 50% Ret)
Foligno (@ 50% Ret)
Total - $ 6,875,000

CBJ

Nylander $ 6,962,366
Possibility of exchanging Nylander (Laine) depending on the outcome of the negotiations.

Of course, this is just a template for a deal. It is possible to add a player from the list, taking into account the salary cap:
Domi, Kerfoot, Andersen, Campbell.
It is possible to include these players in another deal.

Toronto has many alternatives. There is no point in overpaying.

Toronto's next move could be an exchange:
TOR - Palmieri (@ 50% Ret)
NJD - 1st round pick 2021 + B prospect +? ? ?.

The club would be among the favorites for the Stanley Cup. :)

In the summer, the club would have free money. :)

The best prospects would remain with the team. :)

Nylander for 2 UFA's is an awful idea, Columbus takes that and RUNS

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

TOR

Merzlikins (@ 50% Ret)
Savard (@ 50% Ret)
Foligno (@ 50% Ret)
Total - $ 6,875,000

CBJ

Nylander $ 6,962,366
I'm kind of going back and forth on this one. We really don't want to give up Merzlikins this year if we can help it. But getting Nylander is highly awesome; it's just a question of whether or not he's worth it. The answer to that is probably ultimately "yes", but since it's not really addressing the long-term goal of "get our #1C problem eventually fixed somehow" I'd have to talk myself into it. :)

Toronto, by contrast, probably should avoid this - Andersen isn't so horrible and rentals aren't so rare that one should be giving up Nylander to address those problems.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

D Corp for 2021-2022
Rielly Brodie
Muzzin Liljegren
Sandin Holl

PK1
Muzzin Holl
PK2
Rielly Brodie

PP1
Rielly

PP2
Sandin/Brodie/Liljegren

So you don't want to get better

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
Nylander for 2 UFA's is an awful idea, Columbus takes that and RUNS

The first tomato hit me. :( I understood the risk.

I think Toronto needs to change Nylander.
This is an anchor on the ship "Toronto"
These UFA (Savard + Foligno) + Merzlikins (UFA 2022)

The last three points I wrote are significant.
I will briefly repeat them: Stanley Cup :), free money :), best prospects :).

Toronto wants to win?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The first tomato hit me. :( I understood the risk.

I think Toronto needs to change Nylander.
This is an anchor on the ship "Toronto"
These UFA (Savard + Foligno) + Merzlikins (UFA 2022)

The last three points I wrote are significant.
I will briefly repeat them: Stanley Cup :), free money :), best prospects :).

Toronto wants to win?

I don't think the problem is the big 4 up front

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm not against bringing in both Foligno and Savard in fact that would be awesome but you don't give up Nylander to do it.

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
I agree with the general premise of this thread. If I was the GM, my first priority would be to add a RHD. The D has been fine but I too would like to see some depth added. I think the Leafs have enough F depth.

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
I'm not against bringing in both Foligno and Savard in fact that would be awesome but you don't give up Nylander to do it.

The exchange improves Toronto's chances, leaving the club a future.

I wrote above the reasons for including Nylander.

Then you have to pay by other players:
Robertson, Amirov, Liljegren, Sandin.

I'm against it!!!

Good luck.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The exchange improves Toronto's chances, leaving the club a future.

I wrote above the reasons for including Nylander.

Then you have to pay by other players:
Robertson, Amirov, Liljegren, Sandin.

I'm against it!!!

Good luck.

Liljegren should be VERY available

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Assuming it's one year retention (either expiring players being retained or expiring players being taken back), I think it has more to do with how many teams are on either side of the buy/sell line. There's no inherent or intrinsic value for anything, so in a year where there's not many buyers and a GM can get a 2nd rounder for a guy that they would have gotten a 1st+ 2 years ago, and the GM is facing losing that guy for nothing instead, then I think you'll see a bunch of guys go for a lot less than they would have in years past.

Agreed I think the Staal trade is proof of that, in a normal year he gets a 2nd for sure, maybe even a little bit more but this year he gets a 3rd + 5th

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I agree with the general premise of this thread. If I was the GM, my first priority would be to add a RHD. The D has been fine but I too would like to see some depth added. I think the Leafs have enough F depth.

I want them to add both I'm not sure Galch works long term in the top 6

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad