Confirmed with Link: David Quinn - New Rangers Coach (Officially official on 5/23)

How does your feels-o-meter rate this signing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I like how Drury is pretty much widely respected by everyone, everywhere he played, by everyone in the business, but one comment he made long ago makes Rangers fans think he's a piece of **** and terrible leader despite an overall body of work in his career that suggests otherwise.

The problem with a lot of Ranger fans is that they cannot differentiate leadership from on-ice performance. As disappointing as Drury was as a player due to his body just being damaged beyond repair, he was a great leader and the best captain we've had since Messier. Drury, as you said, is respected across the league. He was a great leader, and an inspiration to many. But he sucked as a player so people think that equates to sucking as a captain as well.

Bad players =/= Bad leaders
Good players =/= Good leaders

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The problem with a lot of Ranger fans is that they cannot differentiate leadership from on-ice performance. As disappointing as Drury was as a player due to his body just being damaged beyond repair, he was a great leader and the best captain we've had since Messier. Drury, as you said, is respected across the league. He was a great leader, and an inspiration to many. But he sucked as a player so people think that equates to sucking as a captain as well.

How can you tell he was a good leader?

Reactions: Richard Banger

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Yeah, and he played here for only three and a half seasons, two of which were very productive and in line with his career averages. It was that third season where the injuries started taking a toll, and then by the fourth he was done. I wouldn't even say he was bad here. He was good for two seasons, injured for one, and then half-crippled for a small chunk of another.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah, and he played here for only three and a half seasons, two of which were very productive and in line with his career averages. It was that third season where the injuries started taking a toll, and then by the fourth he was done. I wouldn't even say he was bad here. He was good for two seasons, injured for one, and then half-crippled for a small chunk of another.

I've seen people criticize him at the time for accepting the offer the Rangers gave. Yeah, because anyone would turn down a 30m contract

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Can someone explain to me why everyone is making a big deal about the "uhhhh" when Gorton said 10 times more and way more blatantly? I understand it's a joke but I don't get it, it wasn't that bad, especially compared to Gorton.

Because Quinn is a newbie and the Internet hooks and latches on to someone's every little tick.

I think it was nervousness on the biggest hockey stage. I will bet that the Rangers PR department will media train him over the summer.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Because Quinn is a newbie and the Internet hooks and latches on to someone's every little tick.

I think it was nervousness on the biggest hockey stage. I will bet that the Rangers PR department will media train him over the summer.

Hopefully it's not the same people media training Gorton.

Reactions: will1066

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I've seen people criticize him at the time for accepting the offer the Rangers gave. Yeah, because anyone would turn down a 30m contract
Yeah I remember having the arguments. "You can't blame the player for accepting the contract offered to them." "Yeah well he shouldn't have accepted a deal he knew he couldn't live up to!" It was so, so stupid.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
I am uhh busy, Uhhh can you give me a brief uhhh synopsis.

im gonna refer you to this post sir

That was one of the most low energy coach introductions I’ve ever seen.

Yikes.

And how did Chris All About the Weekend Drury becomes the number 3 guy in the organization. He did that as quietly as he played wearing the C for us.

That did not feel like a special day at all. I Expected charisma and what we got was more of a “well I’m here now I guess” vibe. Gorton looked like he could careless as well.

I’m very hot and cold on Gorton. I think he’s made some really strong moves but at same time I think he’s failed miserably at times in others. Including not firing AV prior to this year along with almost all of his moves in his first summer as GM.

He’s got as much to prove as Quinn as far as I’m concerned.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Seems like a fine press conference to me - these things aren't supposed to be all out crazy entertainment.

I like that he talks about practice being hard and needing to come with a game mentality. I could be remembering wrong but I recall practices being short with AV and never heard of them being particularly intense.

Reactions: Riche16

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Finally was able to watch the presser... not sure what the issue some have about it were (although I agree about the production value as someone mentioned... two cam shoot and one is low stage left shooting the people asking questions through the heads of the rest of the crowd??? That shot was there for Hayes and Kirk only... I would gone wideshot, closeup of panel instead, but I digress)...

The things he talked about as far as showing up ready to practice WITH A GAME MENTALITY

Great! What isn't to like about that?

Building relationships with the players... they want to get better and he wants them to get better and as such the team gets better. Awesome.

Not having a knot in his stomach this time because all of those other steps prepped him for this.

Oh and the "ughhhhh" thing is way overblown by those on this board... he said it right out the gate "Different than a BU news conference that's for sure". So he might have been a bit nervous... who cares?

Can he coach? That's all I care about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad