David Legwand appreciation thread

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
He is not going to do anything with this team or town. He and his family were thrilled when he got traded.
I think he was more bitter about it than anything else. Something had gone wrong towards the end of his time here, whatever it was. I doubt he resents the Preds and the city of Nashville but I've certainly seen people leave in a more graceful manner

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
We had this argument before. Red-dot-it, why NOT? He's our first ever draft pick, played more games in Preds laundry than pretty much anyone, is responsible for numerous key moments and goals in franchise history...

Put #11 in the rafters and be done with it.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I always thought he'd need to reach 700 points with the Preds to justify retirement. As it is, as big of a fan as I was, I can't say that 11 should be retired.

I'd be all for some kind of "Honored Number" thing without retirement. Maybe a display with an infographic somewhere in the arena.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
1. Most Goals in franchise history (210).
2. Most Points in franchise history (356).
3. Most Game Winning Goals in franchise history (41).
4. Scored the first-ever Overtime Penalty Shot Goal in NHL history.
5. Scored the first short-handed playoff goal in franchise history.
6. Most games played in franchise history (956).
7. One of only two players in franchise history to score 10 or more short-handed goals (Greg Johnson is the only other one with 11).
8. Second player drafted in the 1998 NHL Entry draft; joined the team to play one game in the inaugural season of the franchise.
9. Scored his first hat trick the night he became the franchise's all-time point scoring leader in 2007.
10. Scored the series-clinching goal in game 5 of the 2012 playoffs against Detroit.
11. Final goal scored for Nashville was an extra-attacker goal that tied the game against New Jersey with 11 seconds to go in regulation; Preds went on to win it in OT.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
What do the other newer teams across pro sports do to honor players, like the Rockies, Marlins, Panthers, Sharks, Wild, Raptors etc who have been around roughly one generation plus? There's a fair number of newer teams, just wondering what they do.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
We had this argument before. Red-dot-it, why NOT? He's our first ever draft pick, played more games in Preds laundry than pretty much anyone, is responsible for numerous key moments and goals in franchise history...

Put #11 in the rafters and be done with it.

no. You need a much higher standard than just being our first draft pick and having a decent NHL career to deserve the rafters.

I don't care one whit that the rafters are bare after 20 years, you still shouldn't put someone up there until they deserve it. Weber would have been a possibility, Rinne is still a possibility.. hell at least they have been All-Stars multiple times.. to paraphrase Robert Hoover, all Legwand had was a long tradition of existence in the franchise

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
It's funny that dulzhok, who started this thread, spent the better part of 15 years being the number one David Legwand hater...and when he was traded, he made this thread and seemingly retired :lol:

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
no. You need a much higher standard than just being our first draft pick and having a decent NHL career to deserve the rafters.

I don't care one whit that the rafters are bare after 20 years, you still shouldn't put someone up there until they deserve it. Weber would have been a possibility, Rinne is still a possibility.. hell at least they have been All-Stars multiple times.. to paraphrase Robert Hoover, all Legwand had was a long tradition of existence in the franchise

I think he deserves it more than Weber and Rinne.

He played for an expansion team and less talent for so many years, while Weber and Rinne joined a much more established team with talent around them.

He existed so long here because he was a very good 2 way player. I know you Trotz fan guys won't agree, but I seem to recall Legwand even hinted in a newspaper interview he sacrificed his offensive game at the request of defense first, second, and last Trotz.

I can't think of anyone here who will ever deserve it more than The King of The Empty Net, unless some break out star arrives.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I think he deserves it more than Weber and Rinne.

He played for an expansion team and less talent for so many years, while Weber and Rinne joined a much more established team with talent around them.

He existed so long here because he was a very good 2 way player. I know you Trotz fan guys won't agree, but I seem to recall Legwand even hinted in a newspaper interview he sacrificed his offensive game at the request of defense first, second, and last Trotz.

I can't think of anyone here who will ever deserve it more than The King of The Empty Net, unless some break out star arrives.

We have yet to have a guy play for us (barring anyone on the current roster's future success) that has deserved it.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
1. Most Goals in franchise history (210).
2. Most Points in franchise history (356).
3. Most Game Winning Goals in franchise history (41).
4. Scored the first-ever Overtime Penalty Shot Goal in NHL history.
5. Scored the first short-handed playoff goal in franchise history.
6. Most games played in franchise history (956).
7. One of only two players in franchise history to score 10 or more short-handed goals (Greg Johnson is the only other one with 11).
8. Second player drafted in the 1998 NHL Entry draft; joined the team to play one game in the inaugural season of the franchise.
9. Scored his first hat trick the night he became the franchise's all-time point scoring leader in 2007.
10. Scored the series-clinching goal in game 5 of the 2012 playoffs against Detroit.
11. Final goal scored for Nashville was an extra-attacker goal that tied the game against New Jersey with 11 seconds to go in regulation; Preds went on to win it in OT.

He only has those records because he played on an expansion team that had small records. Even if he only got 10 years here before his trade, he would have had most of those records. That isn't a reason to put him up in the rafters. Did every other team hang up the number of the guy who played with them the longest after their teams started?

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
we have no one worthy of having their number retired. Weber would have if he had finished his career with us.

personally i wouldn't mind us having a 'section' for our most 'distingished' players out in the concourse somewhere.

Legwand, Scott Walker, Kariya, Dumont, Arnott, Weber, Suter, Cliff Ronning, Tom Fitzgerald, Timonen, etc. That would be more appropriate for a 19 year old franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad