Player Discussion: David Jiricek, 6th Overall, 2022 Draft

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
What accounts??

Name a single other player who has been passed off as NOT a “great teammate”….

You trust whatever PR/fluff that is thrown out to you?? Everything we hear has a positive spin about it.

“Mental health” involves what part of the body??
What is wrong with you? Do you not know what a mental health issue is? Having a mental health issue is not a locker room issue with being an ass hole or terrible teammate. I don't understand your hate for Laine but I'm done with your shit. You're the locker room cancer when it comes to Laine

Reactions: pete goegan

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Laine, like Elvis, and LIKE JIRICEK (and COINCIDENTALLY all the other players I’ve ever been a “hater” of) make things ABOUT THEM….NOT…..THE TEAM.

And quite frankly, I won’t say they “suck”, but, THEY and subsequently many fans, seem to think they are WAY better than what their play and impact on the ice actually is. They HURT the team.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
What is wrong with you? Do you not know what a mental health issue is? Having a mental health issue is not a locker room issue with being an ass hole or terrible teammate. I don't understand your hate for Laine but I'm done with your shit. You're the locker room cancer when it comes to Laine
Just put the poster on ignore, I did a few months ago and this place is much better for it

Reactions: Xoggz22

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Just put the poster on ignore, I did a few months ago and this place is much better for it
Yeah, I try to give second chances...

Uhh, let’s spell the is out. Since we don’t want to talk actual hockey. I “hate” these guys because they make themselves bigger than the team ALONG with having an overall NEGATIVE impact. It’s that simple.

None of you guys actually have a very good idea about how ANY of these guys ACTUALLY are as human beings, besides whatever has been CHOSEN to be GIVEN to you from either the “journalists” or the literal team/organization, BOTH of which have a plethora of different agenda’s they are trying to express and people they are trying to influence.

My POINT, and question is, other than Jeff Carter and the last days of Johansen, what other information have we EVER gotten expressing that any other player was some sort of problem or “disliked” in the locker room? Since we have never gotten any information regarding this, does it mean it’s never happened??

Mental health involves the brain. The brain is located in which part of the human body? The head. There was a comment about somebody being a “head case”. It’s semantics. It’s also not important.

Is every person with “mental health” issues a good person or immune to being looked at negatively? That seems pretty ridiculous.

If you think the “mindsets” or “attitudes” that have been expressed by Jiricek, Merzlikins, or Laine (well before he was looked at as a victim) are what you want to see from your players or the team should build around, I genuinely don’t know what to say.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclones Rock

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Simon Edvinsson has finally been called up for full time duty in the NHL and he looks great. It's his D+3 season. Huge potential ahead of him.

I think we need to prepare for the possibility that Jiricek needs another year in the AHL. Give him the Edvinsson footage and say "when you get as good as this guy we'll call you up". Though I'm not sure if there's much need to reset Jiricek's expectations at this point, this ought to have been a humbling year for him.

Reactions: tunnelvision

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Overall I don’t think he’s had a good season. From the NHL level to AHL level the reviews haven’t been good. Thats concerning, although obviously he’s still so young. Perhaps they rushed him over to NA. Maybe a year in Czechia, then a year in Cleveland would have been better than two yo-yo years in Cleveland.

While I maintain high hopes for him, I do think there’s some long term concerns in his game. The new GM has some work to do with this one, both on the ice and off

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Overall I don’t think he’s had a good season. From the NHL level to AHL level the reviews haven’t been good. Thats concerning, although obviously he’s still so young. Perhaps they rushed him over to NA. Maybe a year in Czechia, then a year in Cleveland would have been better than two yo-yo years in Cleveland.

While I maintain high hopes for him, I do think there’s some long term concerns in his game. The new GM has some work to do with this one, both on the ice and off

We need higher standards before calling players up.

And of course good communications with the players and so on. But I think our biggest failure is low standards for call ups.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
We need higher standards before calling players up.

And of course good communications with the players and so on. But I think our biggest failure is low standards for call ups.
To build off that, because I do think you're right, the next GM needs to have more patience with young players.

So often in the Jarmo era we get a kid, have them have a great season or two in juniors, and bang they're here. Skipping the AHL level all together. This was mostly an issue after the 2016 streak year, because at least Bjorkstrand, Anderson, Sedlak, and even Werenski cut their teeth in the minors.

Sillinger? Almost no time in Cleveland. Same with KJ. Jirciek got jerked around but even then he may have been rushed to Cleveland all together. Celeumens may have benefited from another year of college. Jarmo tried to grant exceptional status to Mateychuk and Dumais to fast track their careers too.

Just needs to have a calm approach and let the players earn their time. TFW in his call ups, earned it from producing in Cleveland. Meyer too. As did Blanks before injury.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
They really do need to lock him in with a skating coach and throw away the key. I liked what Vincent said about being very specific towards the PP guys on what they can work on to make it better. I hope they are as specific with Jiricek.

Last edited:

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
I haven't been impressed with Jiricek. I never really loved the pick but it was the consensus BPA so I was fine with it. So many posters were claiming he's legit so I kinda of just believed it. This year wasn't great for him. Really just too slow footspeed wise and hasn't impressed offensively either.

Obviously it's still early but the entitlement/attitude issues are another concern. I'm sure there's blame to go around with that so I won't harp on it too much but damn you would think he'd be a whole lot better if he's that confident he deserves a spot.

If sub 6 foot Nick Blankenburg plays better defense than you, you might need to look at yourself.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I haven't been impressed with Jiricek. I never really loved the pick but it was the consensus BPA so I was fine with it. So many posters were claiming he's legit so I kinda of just believed it. This year wasn't great for him. Really just too slow footspeed wise and hasn't impressed offensively either.

Obviously it's still early but the entitlement/attitude issues are another concern. I'm sure there's blame to go around with that so I won't harp on it too much but damn you would think he'd be a whole lot better if he's that confident he deserves a spot.

If sub 6 foot Nick Blankenburg plays better defense than you, you might need to look at yourself.
Do you lose defensive ability the shorter you are?

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Seth Jones effect I’m 100% convinced of. If you remember, people were CRAZY about Sillinger also immediately after being drafted and WELL after he was showing to be something different.

I’m with you though regarding Jiricek. It’s not necessarily his foot speed, but, it’s his agility that’s unbelievably terrible. I’m saying it might be something that should have significantly dropped his draft position. (Probably the same for Sillinger)

His skating overall is bad, and you compound that with his “defensive awareness” not being up to speed, and he’s legit a disaster at the NHL level. Yung Gabe Carlsson could be his rap name. And as you say, his offensive tools aren’t THAT great, as skating in the NHL is arguably the most important aspect, which will hinder him in all aspects on the ice.

This also. There’s a difference between giving a guy looks and “developing” in the NHL in “lost years”, and a delusional player expecting to play regularly in a league he literally doesn’t belong in, and then makes it “public” when he gets DESERVED pushback from the team.

Haha, that said I’m somebody who’s 5 foot 4 with shoes on (this might impact my Mateychuk/Jiricek bias and anybody who rates or looks at a player or prospect more favorable just because of size) and this rubs me the wrong way. It should read, “If sub 6 foot NB is stronger (or more effective) than you”…

Or

“If an undrafted defenseman is better at defense than you”

….both would be accurate. :thumbu:

Plenty of GREAT small defenseman.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Who can approach the kid with constructive criticism? I certainly don't know for sure but he may be unwilling to hear anyone of the higher ups assessment. Perhaps Nash can have a man to man with him? It's why we need a GM who is totally relatable. He needs coached up and then be willing to put the work in. Is he even willing to do the work or does he consider himself ready for the big time permanently? Concerning...

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
Haha, that said I’m somebody who’s 5 foot 4 with shoes on (this might impact my Mateychuk/Jiricek bias and anybody who rates or looks at a player or prospect more favorable just because of size) and this rubs me the wrong way. It should read, “If sub 6 foot NB is stronger (or more effective) than you”…

Or

“If an undrafted defenseman is better at defense than you”

….both would be accurate. :thumbu:

Plenty of GREAT small defenseman.
Essentially my point. It's concerning that a smaller defenseman like Blankenburg is so much better and effective defensively.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Blankenburg is also 25 and if he could stay healthy he'd be an NHLer. You were the one that pointed out his height for whatever reason.

Development isnt linear, the lack of patience people have for young defensemen is a joke really.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Also drafted prospects should feel bad when undersized undrafted defensemen are better than them? So 80-90% of the league should have felt like shit when Rafalski played?

Reactions: LJ7 and majormajor

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Development isnt linear, the lack of patience people have for young defensemen is a joke really.

I’m confused. Jiricek is the one who has no patience and is seemingly trying to pressure his way onto the NHL team. And I’m pretty sure there weren’t any calls to look to move him until he (or his agent) made the NHL/AHL thing public.

Also drafted prospects should feel bad when undersized undrafted defensemen are better than them? So 80-90% of the league should have felt like shit when Rafalski played?

It’s not about anybody feeling bad and nobody is attacking Jiricek as a human being.

But, as a top 10 pick, maybe he should be a bit better at some things and better than an undrafted player.

The POINT is he is nowhere good enough at this point to be “demanding” NHL icetime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad