Player Discussion: David Jiricek, 6th Overall, 2022 Draft

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
My alarm bells for him as a player are starting (key word, starting) to ring. I don’t see much development. And I don’t think the team is helping him.

Really wish they’d let him play on the PP to maybe give him some confidence.

He’s got a big summer ahead
I think that bolded part is obvious.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
I hope major is right. I see those passes, I see the good things... but then I see him being out-run every time the puck goes behind him and he needs to race, and he's just so slow. Didn't really notice him much in today's game except those situations + that one pass to the offensive blue line that looked "surprising" (guess that was the not-wanna-dump-in mentality).

Cheddarcheese

Oct 24, 2023
My alarm bells for him as a player are starting (key word, starting) to ring. I don’t see much development. And I don’t think the team is helping him.

Really wish they’d let him play on the PP to maybe give him some confidence.

He’s got a big summer ahead
what does that tell every guy in the room if he gets pp playing as bad as he is
he shouldn't be rewarded until he can prove he can take that step forward

if he doesn't have a good summer he will likely be in the ahl all year next year. ( which i think he should be )

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
what does that tell every guy in the room if he gets pp playing as bad as he is
he shouldn't be rewarded until he can prove he can take that step forward

if he doesn't have a good summer he will likely be in the ahl all year next year. ( which i think he should be )
Powerplay deployment isn't a reward just like the Penalty Kill isn't discipline. It's all about which player has the best attributes that promote PP or PK success.

Cheddarcheese

Oct 24, 2023
Powerplay deployment isn't a reward just like the Penalty Kill isn't discipline. It's all about which player has the best attributes that promote PP or PK success.
and he 100% doesn't have the game sense or attributes to be on the pp atm. the kid scares me crying that he shouldnt be in the ahl and playing the way he did last night embarrassing

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I know it's not a be all/end all stat, but Jiricek's +/- in Cleveland is horrendous. He's worst on the team in about half the games played as the others.

But his NHL stats in this department isn't bad at all. About best on the team.

So I don't know what to make of these stats:laugh:

He's coming across to me as Elvis v2.0 in the attitude department. I know Jarmo spoke out of turn when he told him to "get a place" in Columbus, but a 21 year old defenseman second year pro sulking over having to play in the AHL is pretty bothersome. Especially when he's not exactly setting the world on fire with his NHL play.

If he's a head case, then I hope the new GM ships him out pronto while he still has some value.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
i don’t think trading Jiricek is in the cards nor should it. From what’s been reported he’s a very passionate player. Hes also only 20/21 years old. What he said this year wasn’t good but he was also wronged by Jarmo/management.

I’m hoping the new regime (and maybe new coaching staff?) gets a hold of him this summer and he makes strides. I assume he’ll be here next year along with Mateychuk, so it could be another rough defensive year.

Cheddarcheese

Oct 24, 2023
i don’t think trading Jiricek is in the cards nor should it. From what’s been reported he’s a very passionate player. Hes also only 20/21 years old. What he said this year wasn’t good but he was also wronged by Jarmo/management.

I’m hoping the new regime (and maybe new coaching staff?) gets a hold of him this summer and he makes strides. I assume he’ll be here next year along with Mateychuk, so it could be another rough defensive year.
it depends but i 100% think he will spend most of the year in the AHL next year unless he hangs out with Gary Roberts or Adam Oats this summer.

we have our whole d core signed for another year i cant see Mateychuk playing bottom pair mins prob better off playing with Jiricek on the top pair with the monsters

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
if there's one thing this fan base loves, it's hating its own young/talented players.
You might want to read posts a bit more carefully.

I don't know if Jiricek is a head case, BUT IF HE IS (which is what I wrote) then I hope he is moved. You want another potential PLD, Elvis, Johansen or Laine on board?

Hopefully the new GM can tell. Current management has proven itself pretty weak in their player personality evaluations.

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I know it's not a be all/end all stat, but Jiricek's +/- in Cleveland is horrendous. He's worst on the team in about half the games played as the others.

But his NHL stats in this department isn't bad at all. About best on the team.

So I don't know what to make of these stats:laugh:

He's coming across to me as Elvis v2.0 in the attitude department. I know Jarmo spoke out of turn when he told him to "get a place" in Columbus, but a 21 year old defenseman second year pro sulking over having to play in the AHL is pretty bothersome. Especially when he's not exactly setting the world on fire with his NHL play.

If he's a head case, then I hope the new GM ships him out pronto while he still has some value.

He's a decade younger than Elvis, at an age where a lot of kids aren't super well adjusted.

We also only have the one instance in the Fall where he sounded very conceited, I think it's quite possible that a good veteran got through to him since then, maybe a fellow Czech like Voracek or Hejda. The Czechs need their young players to succeed and are going to help him.

What he said this year wasn’t good but he was also wronged by Jarmo/management.

We really don't know that.

It looks to me more like the kid really thought he was way too good for the AHL and threw a tantrum about it.

it depends but i 100% think he will spend most of the year in the AHL next year unless he hangs out with Gary Roberts or Adam Oats this summer.

we have our whole d core signed for another year i cant see Mateychuk playing bottom pair mins prob better off playing with Jiricek on the top pair with the monsters

I'd love to see another AHL year focused on D technique and on progress in the weight room. I'm not sure if our org has the guts to do it, it would be standard operating procedure for a GM like Yzerman but people get very upset with our management when they handle prospects that way and agents can use that to lever our FO.

Reactions: Viqsi

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Hopefully the new GM can tell. Current management has proven itself pretty weak in their player personality evaluations.

From everything I've heard, Jiricek showed tremendous leadership for the Czechs. Clutch too.

There is that type of guy that sees themselves as a leader and a difference maker and has a hard time adjusting to a message like "work on your weaknesses and slowly work your way up the lineup, many years down the road you can be a leader for us". That's hard for some kids to go along with.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
For a fanbase that wanted to tank, draft and develop you are pretty poor at the parience sometimes needed in the development portion
Agreed except for one part - while development takes patience it's fair to expect that young players will show progress from one year to the next.

The same could be easily said of Johnson though. Both players show lots of promise although I was hoping for a bit more physical development over the past year.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
From everything I've heard, Jiricek showed tremendous leadership for the Czechs. Clutch too.

There is that type of guy that sees themselves as a leader and a difference maker and has a hard time adjusting to a message like "work on your weaknesses and slowly work your way up the lineup, many years down the road you can be a leader for us". That's hard for some kids to go along with.
I hope this is the case.

And I get the disappointment that the kid must have had when he was sent down. It's a tough pill to swallow whenever anyone says that you're not good enough-even if it means not good enough right now and will be within a few years. A few years seems like an eternity to a 21 year old.

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?
It's not how it works, yes, but it's what you expect and want to see.
sure, but it's totally different from player to player. some times, a player stalls, whether it's physical development, personal life, nagging injury, or just not able to put it together at that time, a player can stall. And just like it's not always small improvement year to year, he could suddenly come out next year and he's an easy NHL player.

Now if we are going multiple years and he still looks like a baby giraffe on roller skates? then I'd be worried.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
sure, but it's totally different from player to player. some times, a player stalls, whether it's physical development, personal life, nagging injury, or just not able to put it together at that time, a player can stall. And just like it's not always small improvement year to year, he could suddenly come out next year and he's an easy NHL player.

Now if we are going multiple years and he still looks like a baby giraffe on roller skates? then I'd be worried.
That's true it's different from player to player but unless there's an injury or an external factor that can be pointed to, it's a red flag if a player is stalled. It's not cause to panic, and I'm not saying anyone should. But if a young player doesn't show any improvement - even a small one - from one season to the next, then something is amiss whether it be his training or the team's coaching and development.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

I don't know if Jiricek is a head case, BUT IF HE IS (which is what I wrote) then I hope he is moved. You want another potential PLD, Elvis, Johansen or Laine on board?

Would you share with me an experience in which Laine made trouble for a long time include in the team?
@majormajor I'd love to see another AHL year focused on D technique and on progress in the weight room. I'm not sure if our org has the guts to do it, it would be standard operating procedure for a GM like Yzerman but people get very upset with our management when they handle prospects that way and agents can use that to lever our FO.

It's the right thing to do, but I can't imagine it. I wouldn't be surprised by a request for trade.

Last edited:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

For clarity...Laine did not fit with the group you listed. By all accounts he's passionate and a great teammate. He's having a mental health issue, not a head case.

Reactions: VT

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
For a fanbase that wanted to tank, draft and develop you are pretty poor at the parience sometimes needed in the development portion
Amen! Let's tank and let these young kids develop and grow... 6 months later... why aren't they all playing 20+ min a night? Why aren't they great yet? They should be higher in the lineup... on and on. Pick a path people.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Would you share with me an experience in which Laine made trouble for a long time include in the team?

Can ANYBODY show ANY time where a player was singled out by any other player or person in management as a negative impact on the team?? Has it never been true?

Any hint of a player being an issue is downplayed or dismissed vehemently by many around here. People need “confirmation” in a way that almost never exists until a the relationship with the player (or coach) is well past being salvaged, and EVEN then, are some people seemingly unable to look at some players negatively.

I ask people a serious question, WHO ARE THE “PROBLEM” PLAYERS?? It wasn’t just Jack Roslovic. And it’s not just Vincent, nor was it Larsen or Manny f***ing Legace.

Last edited:

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
For clarity...Laine did not fit with the group you listed. By all accounts he's passionate and a great teammate. He's having a mental health issue, not a head case.
What accounts??

Name a single other player who has been passed off as NOT a “great teammate”….

You trust whatever PR/fluff that is thrown out to you?? Everything we hear has a positive spin about it.

“Mental health” involves what part of the body??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad