David Clarkson

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
As someone who has had multiple back surgeries I don't wish the chronic pain that follows on anyone but honestly from what I have heard reported I would say it's likely he will end up on LTIR by the end of the year. I feel for Clarkson and the reason I mentioned my personal experience is that sometimes after treatment or medication or shots ect your back can feel great and think it's possible if I do this I can continue playing and just have routine maintenance shots or something but like I have been told over and over the pain will never go away it will always come back and eventually you will get worse. The pain in the back is because the nerves being pressed on by a disk. The pain that happens long after the injury is nerve damage that there is nothing you can do to fix just try and manage long term. He is probably having a hard time hanging it up because all athletes do but for his longterm health I honestly hope if it is back issues he thinks about quality of life 10 years from now. My dad had 1 disc fixed years ago and when they told him he could retire he said no because he worked his whole life and felt he was to young and would go crazy retiring that early. He is now disabled with a back so bad they can go in and fix structural issues but it won't fix any pain. He barely leaves the house and he's been told within 5 years he won't be able to walk again. For context he was a corrections officer and had a very physical job. I don't want to see that happen to Clarkson because he has to much pride and just wants to prove he can still play. Of course as a fan it would be nice to have him off the roster and not protect him and have the extra space but for me this is more of a personal thing I don't want to see happen to a good guy. To many athletes don't think about life after hockey. He needs to think if his family and hang up his skates.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Obviously we take it and run.

not trying to derail the thread but.........

I dont think we would. If this FO is really about character they would be wise to steer wide of Kane..

If you think Kane and Big Buff had problems, I cant imagine Kane and Dubi in the same locker room.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
not trying to derail the thread but.........

I dont think we would. If this FO is really about character they would be wise to steer wide of Kane..

If you think Kane and Big Buff had problems, I cant imagine Kane and Dubi in the same locker room.

We get the better player, for three years less term, and can actually play when he's on the ice. We'd take it and run.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I'd rather a player not play, than insert a cancer into the locker room, especially such a young team. I get that we'd rid ourselves of Clarkson, but if we're lucky enough to be able to put him on Lair we're in a much better position.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I'd rather a player not play, than insert a cancer into the locker room, especially such a young team. I get that we'd rid ourselves of Clarkson, but if we're lucky enough to be able to put him on Lair we're in a much better position.

By all accounts he is a good guy who is well liked. Not a cancer.

The cancer is his contract. Took 1 stupid GM to sign that deal, and then a more desperate GM to trade for him to try to hide his own (staffs) incompetence.

But saying he is a cancer is wrong.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

The cancer is his contract. Took 1 stupid GM to sign that deal, and then a more desperate GM to trade for him to try to hide his own (staffs) incompetence.

What? http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/evander-kane-on-ir--byfuglien-says-misbehaving-kids-need--discipline-235343693.html

To reset the scene: Kane showed up to a team meeting in Vancouver in a track suit on Tuesday, which was a violation of the team’s dress code. Renaud Levoie of TVA reported that Kane believed the meeting was at the team hotel rather than the arena, and didn’t have time to change.

After the meeting, Kane either worked out or went to the trainers’ office, shedding his track suit. According to the Winnipeg Free Press, teammate Dustin Byfuglien threw Kane’s clothes into a cold tub “to send a message to his teammate.”
That prompted Kane to leave the rink.
He didn’t travel on the team’s bus to the arena for a pregame meeting. Team officials were unable to get him on the phone for most of the day, and when they did, a half-hour before the game, he told them he would not be playing in his hometown against the Vancouver Canucks. So he was a healthy scratch.

On Thursday, Kane’s teammate spoke about the healthy scratch, before the rest of the incident came to light. And, well, it’s pretty easy to read between the lines.
"There’s a standard that everybody needs to live up to," said Blake Wheeler. "We’re professionals. We make a lot of money. That’s the code we live by. If you don’t like it then there’s other places you can go. This is the way we do things."
Yeah …
Byfuglien also spoke about Kane.
"I’m sure you have rules in your household," he said, via the Free Press. "And if the kids don’t stick to it, you’ve got to discipline them. It is what it is."

With everything going on, I think we'd be wise to steer clear of him. It's drama you don't want to introduce into a young room..

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

I think he means Kane as a cancer.

What? http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/evander-kane-on-ir--byfuglien-says-misbehaving-kids-need--discipline-235343693.html

With everything going on, I think we'd be wise to steer clear of him. It's drama you don't want to introduce into a young room..

I think JD thought you meant Clarkson as a cancer.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Shoot sorry I didn't read enough - thought it was saying Clarkson was a cancer.

My mistake 100%.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
So Davidson reveals that they have insurance on Clarkson and that he failed his physical. Hence, is it a wash with Nathan Horton? Trade one injured player who can't play for another, only now you have insurance on the injured player (Clarkson) where as before you didn't (Horton).

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
So Davidson reveals that they have insurance on Clarkson and that he failed his physical. Hence, is it a wash with Nathan Horton? Trade one injured player who can't play for another, only now you have insurance on the injured player (Clarkson) where as before you didn't (Horton).

I'm inferring from this that perhaps the doom-n-gloomers used their powers of hindsight prematurely.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Only question would seem to be does insurance cover signing bonuses?

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

Would be absolutely giddy if his career is done, and his contract is handled by insurance, strictly from how much it would help the jackets. Feel bad for the guyfrom a personal standpoint.

theD86

Winging it
Jun 23, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
It's not that bad....... His salary comes off the cap when he's placed on LTIR. That means insurance company, not CBJ will pay his $5.25M

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
It's not that bad....... His salary comes off the cap when he's placed on LTIR. That means insurance company, not CBJ will pay his $5.25M

Depends on what insurance covers. His contract is set up that most of his compensation is guaranteed bonuses each year and small base salary. As others have mentioned it is likely insurance covers salary not bonus. So if we owe him $5M then insurance would pay salary (I'm assuming at 85% or so) but CBJ would still be hook for bonus. So if salary is $1M and Bonus $4M then insurance would pay $850,000 and CBJ would pay $4.15M.
Now the CAP hit would go away if on LTIR so we would have $5.4M in cap relief but the CBJ would still have to pay out (in my example) $4.15M.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Here is Clarkson's contract remaining:

2016-17: $2M Salary and $5M Bonus
2017-18: $2M Salary and $5M Bonus
2018-19: $1M Salary and $3.75M Bonus
2019-20: $1M Salary and $2.25M Bonus

Cap hit per year is $5.25M

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
So let's assume for a moment that Clarkson does go on LTIR for the entire 16-17 season.

Does the CBJ then have to protect him from expansion draft because of the No Movement Clause? Or does LTIR also relive them of that, just like Cap Relief?

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
the comment I saw on it, was if he's on LTIR for more than 60 games, he's exempt from the expansion draft list so we wouldn't have to use a protection spot on him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad