David Clarkson

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
What are peoples thoughts on him? We only got to see 3 games of him in a blue jackets uniform but what do we expect of him next season? Hopefully he can re-establish himself as a top 9 player.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
We'll see how he does next year. The three game injured sample size wasn't good, and his career in Toronto was horrible. But we'll see how he fits in this year. I don't have confidence in him returning to what he was in Jersey, but I don't think he will be as bad as he was in Toronto.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I expect him to score more goals than Nathan Horton. Therefore, we win the trade, right???

I don't see why everyone is writing Horton off. I still envision a future where the Maple Leafs are in the Stanley Cup Finals and Horton comes riding in on a unicorn and leads them from down three goals to win game 7.

This is why I want to be a unicorn farmer. I am going to sell the unicorn that helps accomplish that.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
He effs all the combos up. I'd almost rather be paying Horton not to play than have to figure out what to do with this guy. But it's not my money.

I don't hate David Clarkson. I hope he helps. He is not without value as a player, not without a skill-set that, if effective, is a need for this team. But I hope he can slot in a sort of utility role. I know stuff like this hardly ever carries over but I was really pumped about our combos at the end of this season.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
He effs all the combos up. I'd almost rather be paying Horton not to play than have to figure out what to do with this guy. But it's not my money.

I don't hate David Clarkson. I hope he helps. He is not without value as a player, not without a skill-set that, if effective, is a need for this team. But I hope he can slot in a sort of utility role. I know stuff like this hardly ever carries over but I was really pumped about our combos at the end of this season.

True I think he does screw up the chemistry had going.. Almost would rather trade him and a pick for Semin (boom or bust) and we could bench him if he doesn't work out say he's a lazy Russian but if he does hey that's awesome

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

I dont think he'll be New Jersey Clarkson, but I think he will definitely benefit from the CBJ style of play, hell if he just parks his ass in front of the net hes bound to put up 25-30 pts.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

IMO, he's better than both Tropp, Boll, Morin and can slide up when there's an injury. Yes, I know he's an expensive 4th liner, but what he makes is what he makes.

Even those guys played a fair percentage of games up and down the lineup.

True I think he does screw up the chemistry had going.. Almost would rather trade him and a pick for Semin (boom or bust) and we could bench him if he doesn't work out say he's a lazy Russian but if he does hey that's awesome

Good god, you think Clarkson messes up the chemistry and lineup and you think Semin (boom or bust) is an alternative??? Holy jumpin!

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Ehhh....no. Not on the bolded anyway.

I've never seen anything distinguishing about Morin to tell me otherwise. Probably a little faster. meh. I'd rather have Clarkson in a corner or in front of the net than that guy - I don't care if he was a thrashers pick ;)

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
IMO, he's better than both Tropp, Boll, Morin and can slide up when there's an injury. Yes, I know he's an expensive 4th liner, but what he makes is what he makes.

Even those guys played a fair percentage of games up and down the lineup.

Good god, you think Clarkson messes up the chemistry and lineup and you think Semin (boom or bust) is an alternative??? Holy jumpin!
I'm saying Semin would be 1/2RW if he can make if, if not he goes to the pressbox

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I don't think he'll be useful during the regular season but if we make the playoffs, I think he'll become useful(he will throw his body around and it will take a toll on the opposing players body).

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Im definitely interested to see how the lineups shake out this season with Clarkson and Borque all but guaranteed spots on the roster from the start.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Only one thing is certain. David Clarkson will be a future Stanley Cup champion, Cam Atkinson won't be.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

Largely my thoughts as well.
He will start off on 2nd line - politically the CBJ will try to justify his salary. He'll hopefully (best case) be a 3rd liner, but more than likely be on the 4th line. No idea how he will respond to that. Since he has guaranteed $$$ it's anyones guess.

On the positive side getting out of Toronto should help him. Who knows maybe if he's on the right line, with the right players he can help.

But I don't have high expectations.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

He will start off on 2nd line - politically the CBJ will try to justify his salary. He'll hopefully (best case) be a 3rd liner, but more than likely be on the 4th line. No idea how he will respond to that. Since he has guaranteed $$$ it's anyones guess.

I don't care how much a player makes vis-a-vis where he plays in the lineup. If your team is better with a certain combo of players playing together, that should be the top concern, not shoehorning a player somewhere because of how much money he makes. I know it happens, but I hope it doesn't in this case.

Again, I hope Clarkson meshes somewhere and makes the CBJ a better team. But it will take some convincing.

Ehhh....no. Not on the bolded anyway.

I had been totally meh on Morin until late in the season. I could end up back there but I want to see more of him. He might or might not be better than Clarkson, but I think he's a better fit on the roster.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I'm calling it now, Clarkson will be the biggest surprise of the season for this team.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I've never seen anything distinguishing about Morin to tell me otherwise. Probably a little faster. meh. I'd rather have Clarkson in a corner or in front of the net than that guy - I don't care if he was a thrashers pick ;)

Set aside the contracts entirely, change it so that Morin was drafted by a Canadian team instead, and I'd still take Morin.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Largely my thoughts as well.

You might be right, and I hate how well paid players are often given extra ice time to spare folks the embarrassment. But in this case the guy was acquired for Nathan Horton. Clarkson could end up cycling in and out of the lineup, scratched half the time, and still contribute a lot more than Horton would. In some sense, Clarkson is free.

I have no doubt Clarkson will give it all and will never complain about what line he is on, as long as he isn't scratched all of the time, which would drive anyone insane.
He'll go all out, he's just naturally limited - no wheels and no hockey sense.

Light the Lamp

Apr 21, 2015
I'm calling it now, Clarkson will be the biggest surprise of the season for this team.

I agree 100%. Clarkson is a great guy and will be able to find himself as a hockey player again, not having to worry about media and hometown pressure. I loved his "game" in NJ. He stepped up his intensity when playing divisional games, especially the NYR. Fans will have to ignore the huge contract and take him for what he is...another brick in the wall.

Whatthehellwasthat

I am defense
Mar 28, 2011
Columbus
I watched him closely the first game he played and I liked what I saw. He was behind the net with three opponents trying to knock him off the puck. He calmly shoved them away and skated off with the puck. I think he slots in on the third line riding shotgun and giving his line mates some protection.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
Hopefully a Blake Comeau you can give more ice time to. I'd stick him on the 4th line and move him up as deserved.

Not sure how physical he is anymore to be honest. That's my main concern.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad