Player Discussion David Backes II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Not totally convinced he plays again tbh (or not for any sustained period anyway). Certainly that shouldn't be his priority. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
David Backes feeling good after early return to Bruins - The Boston Globe

Never tell a hockey player an injury will keep him out for a month. He’ll take two weeks.
Among the players who showed up for the Bruins’ optional practice at Warrior Arena Thursday was David Backes. Great news for the injury-riddled team: The veteran forward got through Wednesday’s 3-2 victory over Tampa Bay and arrived for the next day’s skate with only the usual aches and pains.
“A little stiff and sore, like I just played my first game in four weeks,’’ said Backes, who had just played his first game in four weeks. “But nothing out of the ordinary, and that’s a good sign.”

“I don’t know if I’m making medical history, but I’m a case to maybe push the envelope a little bit for people to recover and get back on their feet.
“It’s kind of like a mini-C-section, what I had, and rather than taking a baby out of there, they took 10 inches of colon out of there. Credit to all the moms who are carrying around a little baby right away — a little more sympathy from me.’’

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
David Backes feeling good after early return to Bruins - The Boston Globe

Never tell a hockey player an injury will keep him out for a month. He’ll take two weeks.
Among the players who showed up for the Bruins’ optional practice at Warrior Arena Thursday was David Backes. Great news for the injury-riddled team: The veteran forward got through Wednesday’s 3-2 victory over Tampa Bay and arrived for the next day’s skate with only the usual aches and pains.
“A little stiff and sore, like I just played my first game in four weeks,’’ said Backes, who had just played his first game in four weeks. “But nothing out of the ordinary, and that’s a good sign.”

“I don’t know if I’m making medical history, but I’m a case to maybe push the envelope a little bit for people to recover and get back on their feet.
It’s kind of like a mini-C-section, what I had, and rather than taking a baby out of there, they took 10 inches of colon out of there. Credit to all the moms who are carrying around a little baby right away — a little more sympathy from me.’’
Ouch!

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I will say that I am among those that didn't think he'd play again this year. Backes is one hell of a tough guy and I'm glad he's recovered to get his life and career back so soon.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I had this same procedure, mine was worse. This guy is near miraculous to be rushing back this fast. I'm amazed. That's a tough SOB, hats off.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I gained a lot of respect for him in the way he handled this. He has three more years after this one with a guaranteed $6M per. It’s the last big contract he’ll get.

He did not need to push his comeback like he did. I think there are a lot of players in that situation who would have taken it slower and followed the timeline projected by the doctors.

For where his game is today, his cap hit is too large and his contract is too long. A lot of us knew that when they signed him. But he has shown a lot to me with his approach to his recovery. He’s a warrior and he wants to help the team win.

No one is going to take on that contract. He is here to stay. He’ll contribute in some capacity. I am ok with that.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I gained a lot of respect for him in the way he handled this. He has three more years after this one with a guaranteed $6M per. It’s the last big contract he’ll get.

He did not need to push his comeback like he did. I think there are a lot of players in that situation who would have taken it slower and followed the timeline projected by the doctors.

For where his game is today, his cap hit is too large and his contract is too long. A lot of us knew that when they signed him. But he has shown a lot to me with his approach to his recovery. He’s a warrior and he wants to help the team win.

No one is going to take on that contract. He is here to stay. He’ll contribute in some capacity. I am ok with that.
While it's nice to try and put a positive spin on this, he's not making a contribution even close to what he's getting paid. The contract was insane even in year one and it's just going to continue to get dumber and dumber and dumber..........

Frankly, the best thing for the team would have been him retiring post-surgery and saying something like "My health and family comes first. I like to thank............."

This signing is almost as bad as Belesky, almost.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
While it's nice to try and put a positive spin on this, he's not making a contribution even close to what he's getting paid. The contract was insane even in year one and it's just going to continue to get dumber and dumber and dumber..........

Frankly, the best thing for the team would have been him retiring post-surgery and saying something like "My health and family comes first. I like to thank............."

This signing is almost as bad as Belesky, almost.

The Alexis Zhamnov ankle injury scenario did cross my mind when Backes’ diverticulitis was announced. Hate to see a guy’s career end but the Bs did get out from under that awful contract. The guy was toast and taking up 10% of the cap for three years. That’s $7.5M today.

I don’t want to see Backes’ career ended prematurely but if that is the way it worked out the Bs would certainly be better off.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Should be playing center.

He didn't line up at C against Tampa, even though he ended up taking 10 draws (and winning 7 of them) and he's not schedule to line up at center against Philly today either.

This team is flooded with solid young wingers. With Krejci out, your NHL options for centers capable of putting up more than 20 points in a season are Bergeron, Backes and Spooner.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
The Alexis Zhamnov ankle injury scenario did cross my mind when Backes’ diverticulitis was announced. Hate to see a guy’s career end but the Bs did get out from under that awful contract. The guy was toast and taking up 10% of the cap for three years. That’s $7.5M today.

I don’t want to see Backes’ career ended prematurely but if that is the way it worked out the Bs would certainly be better off.
The Zhamnov comparison is a good one. I didn't want to see Backes career end either. I just wish it was going to end on another team.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

He didn't line up at C against Tampa, even though he ended up taking 10 draws (and winning 7 of them) and he's not schedule to line up at center against Philly today either.

This team is flooded with solid young wingers. With Krejci out, your NHL options for centers capable of putting up more than 20 points in a season are Bergeron, Backes and Spooner.

Hopefully just a case of

A) Easing him back in. I want him at C as well, but I can understand first coming back why they would take it a bit easy on him.

I also think it's a few other things.

Nash, while I despise him, is also a better C than wing. But in Nash's case, I think he's a flat out lousy winger, and the gap for him as a C vs. a wing is very wide. Backes while I think brings more value as a C, is also capable as a wing.

Spooner it appears they have given up on as winger. Not because Spooner is a great center, but Cassidy seems to have no interest in using him as a winger, and we all know Spooner has no interest in playing wing either.

Then you have Kuraly centering the 4th line. And where does he go if he's not 4th line C? They are pretty stocked at LW, and I think Cassidy likes him in the line-up (considering he hasn't been scratched yet).

I've said it before but coaches trying to fit Spooner into the line-up gums up everything else. Ideally when healthy your C's are Bergeron-Krejci-Backes-Nash/Kuraly (I'd go Kuraly but I digress).

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
We all agree that if Backes is on the wing 20-30 games from now, something really weird is up. He's gotta be the 3C I'd think. Anything else would be bonkers. Heck I thought we gave him all that $ so he could be the 2C during Krejci injuries.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
We all agree that if Backes is on the wing 20-30 games from now, something really weird is up. He's gotta be the 3C I'd think. Anything else would be bonkers. Heck I thought we gave him all that $ so he could be the 2C during Krejci injuries.

It seems they simply don’t see him as a center for whatever reason. There were more than a few times last year when he wasn’t being effective at wing and there were openings at center with injuries and they didn’t move him there.

Not sure what it is. The system is pretty demanding of centers, maybe he isn’t able to get comfortable there.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Amazing he's already bzck clearly lost strength and weight and yet he's winning more 50/50 battles than losing

I'd love that if I was in that room

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006

I'd say that is exactly why he got that contract from Boston--he is a warrior and will help the team win with his leadership.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006

That's the top mystery for me this season. Why is Backes not at center when they could be so strong down the middle with Bergeron-Krejci-Backes in the top 9?

Reactions: PlayMakers

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
That's the top mystery for me this season. Why is Backes not at center when they could be so strong down the middle with Bergeron-Krejci-Backes in the top 9?

Not to mention they clearly trust him in the face-off dot.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Played great the first game back, so-so today, was not great most of the year and average last year. Hopefully he stays at this playing weight and continues to contribute going forward as he gets healthier. We need him to be the 3rd best forward like Eriksson was if we make any noise. I am hoping he keeps it up, his experience and mentoring are crucial to the young guys.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Didn't Backes mention something last season about wanting to play wing more? Made sense last season IMO, but not this year.

I'd rather see them strong down the middle with Bergeron - Krejci - Backes as their top 3 C's and fill in the top 9 wings with 6 of Bjork, Marchand, Pasta, Heinen, Kuraly, Cehlarik, DeBrusk once the latter two are healthy.

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Cehlarik - Krejci - Bjork
Heinen - Backes - DeBrusk
Kuraly - Nash - Acciari
Schaller

On paper that looks so much better with Backes at 3C instead of Nash.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm

Yes I thought he played center because I didn't pay close attention when I watched the Tampa game and looked afterward at the box score. I too have thought it would be better for the Bruins if he played center.

That said I have been impressed with him since he has been back. Lots of good passes and so strong on the boards which is something the Bruins have lacked in his absence.

Reactions: PlayMakers
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad