Recalled/Assigned: Dave Bolland to the AHL for a conditioning stint, Grimaldi recalled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Grimaldi's biggest problem is he is all over the ice and terrible in the defensive zone. Positionally he has a ton of work to do

No one wanted to believe me a couple years ago when I said he played a very rabid, uncontrolled style and did not seem to have much hockey sense. Little has changed. I give the kid high marks for his heart and grit, but he definitely has a lot of work to do.

EstConf96*

No one wanted to believe me a couple years ago when I said he played a very rabid, uncontrolled style and did not seem to have much hockey sense. Little has changed. I give the kid high marks for his heart and grit, but he definitely has a lot of work to do.

giphy.gif

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
I know I complain about Huby, but how would you like to be in Philly with what's going on with Voracek. The guy has 2 goals in 31 games this year after they just signed him longterm for $8.2M. I don't feel so bad about Pirri after reading that. I will guaranty you that Huby's agent is going to ask for big bucks and he will be traded because I can't see them placating him and his agent.

well i thought signing him to that contract was ridiculous when it happened. he was never much of a goal scorer other than in the shortened season, he put up mostly in the 40s for points, although now he's usually good for the 50s-60s, but he had that oneeee season where he puts up 81pts (still only scoring 22 goals), and they sign him to mega dollars because after doing it that one time he's now going to be that from here on out. and people thought he was one of the best wingers in the game now. he's a fantastic player, he should be good for low/mid goals, give or take 23, and 60s for points playing with giroux, but thats not a player you sign for 8.25per at what? 8 years was it? i don't believe in paying someone that type of money unless they show it through the course of a couple seasons so you know its not just a 1-time thing.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
well i thought signing him to that contract was ridiculous when it happened. he was never much of a goal scorer other than in the shortened season, he put up mostly in the 40s for points, although now he's usually good for the 50s-60s, but he had that oneeee season where he puts up 81pts (still only scoring 22 goals), and they sign him to mega dollars because after doing it that one time he's now going to be that from here on out. and people thought he was one of the best wingers in the game now. he's a fantastic player, he should be good for low/mid goals, give or take 23, and 60s for points playing with giroux, but thats not a player you sign for 8.25per at what? 8 years was it? i don't believe in paying someone that type of money unless they show it through the course of a couple seasons so you know its not just a 1-time thing.
Ownership in Philly has always been quick to do whatever the GM's wanted. Perfect example of the willingness to frivolously spend without realistically looking at a players history. He's another perfect example of why I dislike wingers who can't put the puck in the net. Huby looked very good the other night and his passes off the boards both in the breakouts and the O zone were spot on. His goal scoring and chances have picked up, but if we have to wait 25 to 40 games for him to get it in gear every year then that is a problem. I still hope he continues to play well and IMO they should sell him while his value is high rather than deal with a ridiculous contract demand that will surely come our way.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
If someone is playing poorly with no emotion or energy, as well as a very undisciplined game, I am all for sending their butt down to the AHL to try and revive them.

That being said, I may be on a dangerous solo mission here, but I would be all for bringing Bolland back up to the team after a little while IF he truly shows signs of being the player he once was.

If we are consistently winning games and making a true playoff push, he could be a valuable piece to our puzzle. A hard nosed grinder, whose very good at FO%, and one of our top PK'ers. Getting under other teams skin has always come naturally to Bolland.

Now this would be dependant on:
a) him making significant imporvements
b) i ) us making the playoffs
OR
ii) showcasing him for a playoff team if we fall out of contention.

DT signed him to this big contract, so you know deep done he likes Bolland and wants him on this team.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
If someone is playing poorly with no emotion or energy, as well as a very undisciplined game, I am all for sending their butt down to the AHL to try and revive them.

That being said, I may be on a dangerous solo mission here, but I would be all for bringing Bolland back up to the team after a little while IF he truly shows signs of being the player he once was.

If we are consistently winning games and making a true playoff push, he could be a valuable piece to our puzzle. A hard nosed grinder, whose very good at FO%, and one of our top PK'ers. Getting under other teams skin has always come naturally to Bolland.

Now this would be dependant on:
a) him making significant imporvements
b) i ) us making the playoffs
OR
ii) showcasing him for a playoff team if we fall out of contention.

DT signed him to this big contract, so you know deep done he likes Bolland and wants him on this team.

He's consistently below 50%.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL

I haven't been able to see Grimaldi much this year, but I thought he looked extremely promising last season. If I remember correctly, there were three or four times in those seven games where he got himself into prime scoring position but didn't have the poise to put the puck away. With a little bit more seasoning, I felt he could be a 15 goal scorer that provides good energy. Has he taken that big a step back in his development?

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I haven't been able to see Grimaldi much this year, but I thought he looked extremely promising last season. If I remember correctly, there were three or four times in those seven games where he got himself into prime scoring position but didn't have the poise to put the puck away. With a little bit more seasoning, I felt he could be a 15 goal scorer that provides good energy. Has he taken that big a step back in his development?

He's not regressing. It's more that people's expectations for him were too high. He's too small for the NHL without a very high hockey IQ. And it appears he has a lot to learn in that area.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
He's not regressing. It's more that people's expectations for him were too high. He's too small for the NHL without a very high hockey IQ. And it appears he has a lot to learn in that area.

It seems this year that he's not dangerous at all, though. Last year he had moments where he was very threatening on the ice, and with a bit of fine tuning could be a capable NHL-er. Just seems weird that all of that disappears in one season. I don't remember him getting top six minutes or playing with top notch players last year. I think he played with Trocheck and Robak (lol) for a game, and I think he might have played with Barkov for the game in Anaheim when he played two games in one day. Otherwise I remember him playing with Jokinen and someone else (maybe Boyes?) so it's not like his linemates were carrying him. Hoping he's just suffering from something like a lack of confidence and can find his game again. He's a fun guy to watch/root for.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
You think Grimaldi has the same talent as MSL.. Okej? 64 games 14 goals 28 assist total of 42 points in AHL last year is something special to show for? Okej.. If he works out i will eat my crowe i just hope you do the same if he do not.

Also your opinions are not facts don't present them as such. Come with counter arguments to support your claims.

The "okej" thing is as annoying as someone asking questions as a way to put words in mouth. Please stop. I don't recall putting out opinions as facts either.

Is Rocco as talented as MSL? I don't know yet. None of us know. MSL wasn't as talented as MSL ended up to be when he was at the same stage in his career as Rocco currently is.

*THAT'S THE BEGINNING AND END OF THE MSL-ROCCO COMPARISON OTHER THAN HEIGHT LOL*

It's not about eating crow.

Last edited:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I doubt he'll get a chance this year unless injuries continue, but you want to talk about Mr. Opportunistic.......watch Rau. Playing mostly at the wing and down low on the PP, the guy just has a nose for the puck and knows how to finish. Like his game a lot, but finishing the year in Portland can only help him get better.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
You think Grimaldi has the same talent as MSL.. Okej? 64 games 14 goals 28 assist total of 42 points in AHL last year is something special to show for? Okej.. If he works out i will eat my crowe i just hope you do the same if he do not.

Also your opinions are not facts don't present them as such. Come with counter arguments to support your claims.

My goodness are you really bashing a 22 yo with 18 gms experience?

people trashed trocheck last yr as well so relax and let the kid develop before concluding anything.

nothing wrong with being a fan and hoping he becomes mL 2.0 ... time will tell.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

people trashed trocheck last yr as well so relax and let the kid develop before concluding anything.

Well when you put it THAT way…are you really trying to say MSL wasn't as talented 18 games in as Rocco is??

vektorious

Nov 19, 2009
You can definitely tell that Grimaldi is struggling with the faster pace of the NHL. It seems like he is always one step behind the play and that is obviously not due to skating as he is wicked fast but more to do with his hockey sense and lack of anticipating the plays quickly enough. I think it will take some time for him to acclimate to the faster pace and when he does he will be able to start making time and space for himself again. He has all the tools (with the exception of size) he just needs to gain some more confidence and get his game going. I think also he might be trying to hard to not make any mistakes instead of trying to create some offense on his own. He just hasnt been able to get to loose pucks and it seems like every shift he hardly has the puck on his stick, when he does get the puck though he can be electrifying with his speed. Get that puck more ROCCO!!!

As for Bolland, I really hope we bury him in the minors and allow the kids to stay up and get the experience the remainder of the season. I really have little faith that he is all the sudden going to flip a switch and be the player we need him to be. He hasn't even been a pest as advertised. I remember Kopecky last year was at least able to fluster the appointment and stand in front of the net and agitate. I dont see any of that out of Bolland. What a monumentally horrible signing that was. (not to beat a dead horse already).

I really enjoyed the infusion of youth last game vs the isles and I hope the winning continues with Bolland out of the line up. I think stability in the line up is needed as well. With the injuries and gallant constantly taking Brickley and Thornton in and out of the line up almost every other game, it doesnt help our bottom 6 get in sync.... Losing Mackenzie really hurts - he was a workhorse for this team and I anticipate that our PK will suffer dramatically with him out of the line up.... Lets hope these young cats can weather the storm and surpirse the league,

EstConf96*

63316581.jpg

This is my prediction on everyone thinking Grimaldi is or can be anything close to MSL.

Last edited by a moderator:

EstConf96*

The "okej" thing is as annoying as someone asking questions as a way to put words in mouth. Please stop. I don't recall putting out opinions as facts either.

Is Rocco as talented as MSL? I don't know yet. None of us know. MSL wasn't as talented as MSL ended up to be when he was at the same stage in his career as Rocco currently is.

*THAT'S THE BEGINNING AND END OF THE MSL-ROCCO COMPARISON OTHER THAN HEIGHT LOL*

It's not about eating crow.

You said this to my post.

"Nope. None of this except for MSL managing to stick in the NHL."

You said nothing about why that was wrong. Tell me how you did not present your opinion as a fact?
If you do not bother to explain yourself all that is left is hermeneutics.

Last edited by a moderator:

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Maybe they wont bring him back from the assignment

I think it's too early to say. He's only played one game in the 'A', and from what I've heard he played OK - not very good.

Would definitley be a culture shock for him.

You can't keep a player on a conditioning assignment for more than 2 weeks. If they were going to keep him down they would have waived him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad