Waived: Daugavins Placed on Waivers - Claimed by Boston

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
He is what he is, a 12th/13th forward. He's good defensively without much skill. He's no better then the other players in his role on the Sens roster so it was only a matter of time. He wasn't 'screwed over', take off your Latvian homer glasses.

I'd be shocked if he ever has a multi-goal game in the NHL lol.

Except historically that's not him at all. He was a playmaker and scorer before Ottawa decided to make him a PK guy. He hasn't been screwed over by them recently, they've been very respectful and good to him the last couple years, but he very much was screwed by Murray and Clouston in his first few years with the club.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Except historically that's not him at all. He was a playmaker and scorer before Ottawa decided to make him a PK guy. He hasn't been screwed over by them recently, they've been very respectful and good to him the last couple years, but he very much was screwed by Murray and Clouston in his first few years with the club.

Some guys in lower level leagues can make it look like they have more skill then they actually have. Zenon Konopka was an AHL all-star...go look at his AHL stats, 4 seasons in the AHL with 40+ points. Was he screwed over too?

Daugavins doesn't have the skills to be anything more then a bottom 6 NHL player. He doesn't handle the puck all that well, has shot that isn't bad nor good, isn't fast nor slow, is a decent passer. Everything about his game besides his defensive ability is pretty 'MEH'.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
If the object of the exercise for Daugavins was to get more playing time, he's going to be sorely disappointed. The Bruins are likely to either stash him in the press box, or give him VERY limited minutes. He is there for depth and character, nothing more. He would have been better off going to a team lower in the standings, but ironically having a niche player like the Dogman around is a luxury only a contender can afford.

He's in Boston because the Bruins correctly believe he's better than Jay Pandolfo. He should get fourth line minutes and PK time.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Some guys in lower level leagues can make it look like they have more skill then they actually have. Zenon Konopka was an AHL all-star...go look at his AHL stats, 4 seasons in the AHL with 40+ points. Was he screwed over too?

Daugavins doesn't have the skills to be anything more then a bottom 6 NHL player. He doesn't handle the puck all that well, has shot that isn't bad nor good, isn't fast nor slow, is a decent passer. Everything about his game besides his defensive ability is pretty 'MEH'.

Look at Corey Locke way better player at every level daugavins but can't stick in the NHL.

But good for him hope things go well. Don't think he has what it takes to be more then what he was here.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Look at Corey Locke way better player at every level daugavins but can't stick in the NHL.

But good for him hope things go well. Don't think he has what it takes to be more then what he was here.

Agreed.

There is nothing wrong with carving out a career as a 4th liner who specializes on the PK. And like it's been mentioned, he's a fantastic PKer. If we didn't have Condra on the team, Daugavins probably rarely would have been scratched but he and Condra are pretty similar players except for the fact Condra is better then Daugy in just about every aspect.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
You mean the one Sens didn't actually give him, but the one he got through arbitration?
Contracts are business, it's nothing personal.

It's almost April which marks the end of the regular season in hockey so I'm not sure why he asked if his motive was just to play.

sensageddon

Feb 24, 2013
Will he actually see playing time with Boston? I'm not up on their bottom 6 situation, but if he's not playing in Ottawa would he get a start in BOS? I mean i guess he is a great PK'er as mentioned above but..

I guess he stated that he just wants to play, no matter if the league starts with an N or an A.

Boston fans are thrilled they can bench pandawful so they say.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
hope this move doesn't backfire on us...

I don't see how granting our 13-14 forward who requested to be waived can potentially backfire on us. We have multiple guys who can fill his role, it's not like he was a core guy. He was great in the locker room, that's the main thing to take into account.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I don't see how granting our 13-14 forward who requested to be waived can potentially backfire on us. We have multiple guys who can fill his role, it's not like he was a core guy. He was great in the locker room, that's the main thing to take into account.

yeah i was more thinking of meeting boston in the playoffs and having him kill penalties for them against us. their pk is already tops, and this makes them better. i think he's a solid 4th liner.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
This will be like the time we let heart and soul/great dressing room guy Foligno go. The team absolutely fell apart and we haven't recovered since.

Sarcasm

xking23

Petersson
Jun 22, 2009
Peterborough
Boston picked him up for his shootout moves :nod:

Part of my hopes in one of the next 2 bruins games we go into a shootout and he does his spin.

I liked Daugavins, but this just strengthens the Ottawa Boston love fest.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
You mean the one Sens didn't actually give him, but the one he got through arbitration?

I stopped caring when you claimed the Sens have screwed him over numerous times, yet you refuse to cite examples even when repeatedly requested.

take a peek

Mar 4, 2007
Why do people like Boston?

Screw Boston...

Okay, they are a good team, built well and win but they always beat the Senators and I hate their faces.

I hope we play them in the playoffs so this silliness ends.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Why do people like Boston?

Screw Boston...

Okay, they are a good team, built well and win but they always beat the Senators and I hate their faces.

I hope we play them in the playoffs so this silliness ends.

I hate the Bruins, and always have

Sad to see Daug go :(

Exique*

As a Latvian, it's sad to see him go. Sens have grown on me and now I'm a die-hard fan. I won't leave, I consider Senators as my team.

That said - I like the fact that he might get more ice-time. Also I'll definitely check on him(and the Bruins) once in a while(and I deffo won't have any problems rooting for them when they're facing Habs/Leafs :laugh: )

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad