Post-Game Talk: Dast Axel Jonsson Djallby and Dabulous Martin Dehervary take on the Anaheim Ducks 10:07 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
it doesn’t really for me, nothing changes….it’s all there for all to read. Nothing more than a simple quick highlighting error, not obscuring anything….

I believe coaches impact players…..didn’t realize we had to acknowledge the rather obvious, but sure, I’ve done that now.

what do you have to support that this is on the coaching staff?

I think Leonsis looks at this roster and their standing in the league today and thinks to himself “not bad at all with a skeleton crew, two partially developed goalies, and a PP that can do better”……

Around here, we’re looking for ways to fire two coaches, cut Hags, trade Schultz, trade Carlson, etc…..
You didn't answer the question about goalies in OT but let's just move on since we're not all going to see eye to eye here. And "maybe" does matter because I was not making a declarative statement; I was bringing up a potential hypothesis. There are a lot of variables that go into their OT struggles -- terrible at faceoffs, guys injured, lower save %, strategy -- and we don't know the proportion of blame but whatever it is, they need to get better.

Of course we're always talking about coaches and players... what else would we talk about? We opine on who is playing well and who isn't and how we'd fix things which is literally the purpose of this place. Some posters are more objective than others but that's the internet for you.

And yes, I think everyone should be very happy with the early results. The kids are alright and rumors of their demise have been greatly exaggerated.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You didn't answer the question about goalies in OT but let's just move on since we're not all going to see eye to eye here. And "maybe" does matter because I was not making a declarative statement; I was bringing up a potential hypothesis. There are a lot of variables that go into their OT struggles -- terrible at faceoffs, guys injured, lower save %, strategy -- and we don't know the proportion of blame but whatever it is, they need to get better.

Of course we're always talking about coaches and players... what else would we talk about? We opine on who is playing well and who isn't and how we'd fix things which is literally the purpose of this place. Some posters are more objective than others but that's the internet for you.

And yes, I think everyone should be very happy with the early results. The kids are alright and rumors of their demise have been greatly exaggerated.

I asked you a follow up on an edit….first line.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't disagree they deserve to be scrutinized. We also don't know what the conversations were between Lavi and BMac regarding roster needs. Maybe they decided to play out the first 25 games and then make moves if necessary from there. BMac straight up told TEB that the next 10 games would go a long way in deciding which direction they went in goal.

We also saw the price of offloading a $2.75M fourth liner in a flat cap world when we offloaded Panik. If you don't want a $4M 3rd pairing defender or a $2.75M fourth liner, why do you think other teams would want them?

I'm firmly in wait and see mode. BMac has consistently, year after year, made moves if they've identified weaknesses and he's not afraid to make a big move. If they decide goaltending needs to be upgraded he'll go do it.

The cost of offloading a player in-season and in the off-season are often different (not to mention the rest of that trade complicates the cost), and the remaining term has a huge impact on that cost. This is the last year of the Schultz deal, so I tend to think he's more movable than Panik or Hagelin because of that. I also think you can find more than a few bad GMs out there and take advantage of them. Heck, MacLellan took advantage of Seattle's GMing mistakes already this off-season. He's even taken advantage of capable GMs in the past (see the Oshie/Brouwer trade). In a world where Connor Murphy gets $4.4M, I have to think someone might have been willing to kick the tires of Schultz.

We also haven't seen BMac make in-season coaching changes basically ever. The only one that comes to mind is bringing back Mitch Korn, but he never fully left the organization and GMBM didn't fire Scott Murray to do that. So I think we're stuck with Murray for the remainder of the season.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Ahh, another loss because of Vanecek I see. If we only had a goalie our group of "Heshey Bears tours the NHL" would be 82-0. VV has been outplayed by Vasilevsky and Gibson already so far! Time to ship him back to the beer league where he belongs.

Off game for the team, and especially for the 1st line. Thats expected with the minutes they are eating right now.. Im glad that we still get a point, Ducks has been pretty good this year so far. Moving on. Cant win them all. Lets get another point from the Kings and the train is still moving forward reliably.

Im still overwhelmed how good we are doing with the list of players we are missing. We have 4-5 AHL-guys everynight in the lineup (+ one beer leaguer) and we are still getting points even on the off-nights.
Who are you calling the beer leaguer, Pilon?

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
Let's just support our goalies. It's only the beginning of the season.
200.gif

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
It's a stark contrast to the game we saw from Fucale, who displayed much better in terms of puck handling and economy of movement (even if he wasn't tested as much). Why is the guy working with our AHL goalie coach (Alex Westlund) displaying sharper technical aspects than our guys working under the NHL goalie coach?
If you look at Westlund’s resume of goaltender and their overall numbers you’ll see that Fucale is an outlier. Copley is arguably a better goalie in terms of his overall career numbers to this point and his numbers aren’t exactly the greatest since he has been under Westlund. I believe Fucale said he just made some overall mental changes and that helped his game out tremendously. I’m assuming he worked with a sports psychologist.

It is puzzling that Murray still has a job though. You’d think there would be some other options out there that are better. The fact that Lavi wasn’t able to bring in all of his own staff is also interesting overall.

Reactions: bur and 666 others

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Over 22 minutes for Kuznetsov, around 22 for Ovechkin and over 21 for Wilson.

1st game of back-to-backs. This might get ugly.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Buddy? Hmm, no need for that, unless I misread your tone which is entirely possible on the internet. I asked what you're using to support that the team stinks in OT because it's not clear to me who is at fault here and the basis for your assertion was the complaining you were just complaining about. Doesn't add a lot to the debate.

Losing a faceoff in OT is worse than losing a faceoff in regulation and they're down their two (and now three) best pivots in terms of faceoffs, as well as Oshie who takes almost all draws when the drop is on his backhand. So yeah, they're not going to have the puck to start as much, but your goalie still needs to make saves. Just like your goalie often times needs to be your best penalty killer. It's not possible to play perfect hockey and goalies need to bail their teammates out. Right now Vanny doesn't do that in OT.

I was a lacrosse goalie and saving 65% meant you were one of the best in the sport at your level. "Save all the shots you should and some of the ones you shouldn't" was the mantra. In hockey it's not a lot different but the probability of success per shot is much lower so I would say the mantra is "Save all the shots you should and most of the ones you shouldn't." Right now I don't have a lot of confidence that any goalie we have saves all the ones they should and most of the ones they shouldn't.

Buddy...a term of friendship. You know it. Dont read something there that isnt there. Then I will know you think I am an asshole.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If you look at Westlund’s resume of goaltender and their overall numbers you’ll see that Fucale is an outlier. Copley is arguably a better goalie in terms of his overall career numbers to this point and his numbers aren’t exactly the greatest since he has been under Westlund. I believe Fucale said he just made some overall mental changes and that helped his game out tremendously. I’m assuming he worked with a sports psychologist.

It is puzzling that Murray still has a job though. You’d think there would be some other options out there that are better. The fact that Lavi wasn’t able to bring in all of his own staff is also interesting overall.
I didn't intend for my post to come off as an endorsement of Westlund, but rather a comparison between why Murray hasn't been able to even correct technical issues that Westlund-tutored goalies get right.

As for other options - former Capitals goalie coach (and the man who resurrected MAF's career) Dave Prior is available. As is Stephane Waite.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I didn't intend for my post to come off as an endorsement of Westlund, but rather a comparison between why Murray hasn't been able to even correct technical issues that Westlund-tutored goalies get right.

As for other options - former Capitals goalie coach (and the man who resurrected MAF's career) Dave Prior is available. As is Stephane Waite.

Prior also helped Kolzig propel his career. Waite was Carey Price's goalie coach for 8 years! Murray probably has a cheap goalie coach salary compared to what Prior or Waite might cost salary wise. For a team that still makes the playoffs and can be a lite Cup Contender, goaltending has gone backwards for them. I'm talking backwards equal to Neuvirth/Varlamov days where the playoff goaltending was never good enough.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

Copley was always a low level prospect. The fact that he had one NHL season backing up Holtby, was an anomaly. He never fully utilized his size and his rebound control was worse than Vanecek's. Copley is lucky he'll be a career AHL goalie. A bunch of Caps goalies have surpassed Copley since he was the Caps backup.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Copley was always a low level prospect. The fact that he had one NHL season backing up Holtby, was an anomaly. He never fully utilized his size and his rebound control was worse than Vanecek's. Copley is lucky he'll be a career AHL goalie. A bunch of Caps goalies have surpassed Copley since he was the Caps backup.
I mean if you want to believe that, sure. Copley literally outplayed Grubauer in both the regular season and in the playoffs (playoffs by a long shot) after being destined for South Carolina his rookie season. He was a legitimate enough prospect that St. Louis included him in the Oshie deal. Copley is a lot better than you’re giving him credit for that’s for sure. I’ve seen plenty of him over the years and he has been trending downward for some time now. Only two things that changed were a couple of lower body injuries and Westlund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad