Player Discussion Darnell Nurse - To bridge or not to bridge, that is the question.

What do you do with Nurse's contract?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
PressReader.com - Connecting People Through News

Interesting tidbits at the end where Thun compares him to Hedman, and says Nurse was frustrated with lack of offensive time in Edmonton

I'm sure Eichel's agent compared him to McDavid then the GM laughed and brought him back to reality when he brought up realistic, real life comparables. The agent is just doing his job trying to get the best contract for his client, doesn't mean those comparables are realistic.

Look at all the other names listed in that article, Ristolainen, Parayko, Slavin. Nurse, at this point in his career, just isn't as good as those guys even when they signed those contracts so the $5M+ number is completely unrealistic. He can be upset about the lack of offensive usage all he wants but he has never shown enough offensive IQ to be relied upon on the PP or in any prime offensive situation.

It's quite easy. Either Nurse takes a bridge or he sits out for a while and not get paid while also alienating his teammates. The Oilers have the leverage, which would should have been used in the Draisaitl negotiation but I digress.

Last edited:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Weird, Nurse was frustrated with his lack of offensive time yet I was frustrated with Nurse every time I watched him in the offensive zone.

Frankly he isn't worth signing long term at this point. He's redundant on the team as is and he's got like another 82 games to prove that he isn't. If he can't then I wouldn't care if he got moved.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Why exactly should he get more $ than Josh Manson? Similar players with Manson being the better player. IMO the talk of $5 million AAV is premature, if he's asking for more he's barking up the wrong tree. With a healthy Klefbom and eventually Bouchard, I don't see Nurse being better than our 3rd best offensive defenseman going forward. He has 4 RFA years left, no need to pay him for 6 years like he's an UFA and 2 like he's a RFA.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I'm sure Eichel's agent compared him to McDavid then the GM laughed and brought him back to reality when he brought up realistic, real life comparables. The agent is just doing his job trying to get the best contract for his client, doesn't mean those comparables are realistic.

Look at all the other names listed in that article, Ristolainen, Parayko, Slavin. Nurse, at this point in his career, just isn't as good as those guys even when they signed those contracts so the $5M+ number is completely unrealistic. He can be upset about the lack of offensive usage all he wants but he has never shown enough offensive IQ to be relied upon on the PP or in any prime offensive situation.

It's quite easy. Either Nurse takes a bridge or he sits out for a while and not get paid while also alienating his teammates. The Oilers have the leverage, which would should have been used in the Draisaitl negotiation but I digress.

All Im saying is I could see him getting moved if he's frustrated with his situation here, and wants big money.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
When you have Benning making 2M, not hard for Nurse to ask for 4M. Ive been saying al along he'd want 5-5.5M long term, and I'll be shocked if he signs a bridge for less then 3.5M. A team can easily offer him 4M for a year or two with an offersheet and only lose a 2nd round pick.

Then we can fire back an offer sheet when our cap improves. That'd be a dumb offer sheet.

I'm sure Darnell has asked Connor and Leon about how their negotiation process went like, he and McDavid are roommates, of course Connor probably told him stuff like Chia was willing to pay him $13+ mill and he had to talk Chia down.

Well when he's as valuable to the team as those 2 are maybe he can try to strong arm the team.

Doesn't sound like his agent is having any of that.

Then they can both go elsewhere.

His agent brought up Hedman as a comparable, stating Nurse didnt get any offensive opportunities with the Oilers. He wants 5.5M long term, and could be traded because of it IMO

Then his agent is A) Trying to get the most for himself and his client or B) Higher than a ****ing kite.

PressReader.com - Connecting People Through News

Interesting tidbits at the end where Thun compares him to Hedman, and says Nurse was frustrated with lack of offensive time in Edmonton

Left handed, good skaters and tall, that's where the comp ends. If he thinks of himself that highly we should deal him now.

All Im saying is I could see him getting moved if he's frustrated with his situation here, and wants big money.

Then we should move him if it gets to that point. I like the player but he hasn't shown enough to command his supposed asking price.

Reactions: TB12

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Nurse while he has shown improvement, has never stood out as a potential offensive force IMO. I'd pay him as a primarily defensive defenseman until he shows me otherwise.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Wow, Thun is delusional with that Hedman reference. Nurse doesn't remotely show the same offensive upside/IQ as Hedman

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Bridge, he’s shown limited offensive upside since junior. He’s still got all the tools but has to put them together, and if the oilers are the one devolving them I’ll take the under on him actually putting it all together. I’m rooting for him, but he’s a long term contract that could be for a 4-6 dman still in a few years

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
IMO the Larsson/Klefbom contract + the inflation of the cap since it was signed should be enough long term. That way if the offense never comes we are covered.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Nurse last year was 7th in team scoring had 26 pts and was +15, with limited PP time. second best +/- on the Oilers behind McDavid.
He has improved every year with the Oilers, and has only played 197 games.
He goes into every off season working on weaknesses to be improved on, and has a great attitude.
He's 23, and hasn't even scratched the surface of what he could eventually be.

Reactions: PGW

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Then we can fire back an offer sheet when our cap improves. That'd be a dumb offer sheet.

Well when he's as valuable to the team as those 2 are maybe he can try to strong arm the team.

Then they can both go elsewhere.

Then his agent is A) Trying to get the most for himself and his client or B) Higher than a ****ing kite.

Left handed, good skaters and tall, that's where the comp ends. If he thinks of himself that highly we should deal him now.

Then we should move him if it gets to that point. I like the player but he hasn't shown enough to command his supposed asking price.

The thing with an offersheet for a team like Colorado it makes a lot of sense if it only costs them a 2nd rounder. There defence group with a Nurse OS

Nurse-Johnson
Nemeth-Barrie
Girard-Cole
Zadorov

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Nurse last year was 7th in team scoring had 26 pts and was +15, with limited PP time. second best +/- on the Oilers behind McDavid.
He goes into every off season working on weaknesses to be improved on, and has a great attitude.

Hi Anton

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Bridge, he’s shown limited offensive upside since junior. He’s still got all the tools but has to put them together, and if the oilers are the one devolving them I’ll take the under on him actually putting it all together. I’m rooting for him, but he’s a long term contract that could be for a 4-6 dman still in a few years
Oilers best offensive Dman last year with no offensive opportunity.
I would say our Offensive Dmen are limited with bountiful offensive opportunity.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
A player or an agent can ask for whatever money they want. Unless they're willing to sit out for a year they'll cave eventually. Better players than Nurse who deserve more money do it every year eventually. Sounds like a lot of grandstanding from his agent.

The Victor Hedman comparison is actually kind of interesting by the agent. Ignoring that it's dishonest (Nurse is 2 years older going into his 4th pro season than Hedman was), it isn't even a good comparable for Nurse if he wants more than $5M on a long term deal. Hedman coming out of his ELC after 23 points in 61 games (30 point pace) signed a 5 year deal at 4M per year. Adjusted for the cap today that still comes in at just under $5M on a relatively long term deal. Even if you give Nurse every benefit of the doubt and say that a 23 year old Nurse is somehow comparable to a 21 year old Hedman that long term deal is still a pretty good one for the Oilers.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
A player or an agent can ask for whatever money they want. Unless they're willing to sit out for a year they'll cave eventually. Better players than Nurse who deserve more money do it every year eventually. Sounds like a lot of grandstanding from his agent.

The Victor Hedman comparison is actually kind of interesting by the agent. Ignoring that it's dishonest (Nurse is 2 years older going into his 4th pro season than Hedman was), it isn't even a good comparable for Nurse if he wants more than $5M on a long term deal. Hedman coming out of his ELC after 23 points in 61 games (30 point pace) signed a 5 year deal at 4M per year. Adjusted for the cap today that still comes in at just under $5M on a relatively long term deal. Even if you give Nurse every benefit of the doubt and say that a 23 year old Nurse is somehow comparable to a 21 year old Hedman that long term deal still comes in at an Oiler friendly rate.

1297311109281_ORIGINAL.jpg

You sound like you know what you're talking about and I see you have pants on. Would you like to come work for the Edmonton Oilers?

Reactions: harpoon

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

If we hedge our bets on him becoming a #1 and he becomes a #3 then he becomes a cap liability if we overpay. Let him prove that he should be paid at a much higher level than a healthy Klefbom/Larsson.

The thing with an offersheet for a team like Colorado it makes a lot of sense if it only costs them a 2nd rounder. There defence group with a Nurse OS

Nurse-Johnson
Nemeth-Barrie
Girard-Cole
Zadorov

Meh, we'd match easily at $4 million. If they want to make us think go $6 million AAV.

Oilers best offensive Dman last year with no offensive opportunity.
I would say our Offensive Dmen are limited with bountiful offensive opportunity.

Better than Klefbom with a bum shoulder and Sekera with a bad wheel? Wow.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
If we hedge our bets on him becoming a #1 and he becomes a #3 then he becomes a cap liability if we overpay. Let him prove that he should be paid at a much higher level than a healthy Klefbom/Larsson.

Meh, we'd match easily at $4 million. If they want to make us think go $6 million AAV.

There always seems to be excuses of injury with Klefbom though.
bum shoulder, but also a bum brain.

edit - a little harsh on Klefbom, but a lot of bad play last year was not "injury" related.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

edit - a little harsh on Klefbom, but a lot of bad play last year was not "injury" related.

You're right, it was mental too. Not being able to do what you normally can because of an injury when you are in a league where the best of the best play in and opponents will use any advantage to bury you and your team.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I hate to say it but there's a fair bit of "dumb" with our d-corps. You just kinda gotta roll with it.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

If he's so frustrated here and thinks he'll get a $5-$6M contract elsewhere as a #1 Dman playing in prime offensive situations then deal him and tell him good luck with that.

The fact of the matter is that all his comparables have gotten somewhere in between 4-4.8M. If that's not good enough for him and doesn't want to take a bridge then he's getting some bad advice and will likely be waiting a long time to get that desired deal.

I like Nurse but he's currently an inconsistent 2nd pairing Dman with some room for growth, no different than a lot of Dmen in his age group who are getting paid in the 4Ms range. There's nothing that distinguishes him from that group.

Last edited:

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

And if they do that its long term. I could see a team easily going 5.5M for Nurse over 7 years. I just hope it's not the Oilers.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
And if they do that its long term. I could see a team easily going 5.5M for Nurse over 7 years. I just hope it's not the Oilers.

Do we get a 1st out of it as compensation?

I would think that a team that offers up such a deal likely will screw things up somehow so the pick could be of value and like it or not we open up some cap.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Nurse seems like the type of guy who would be demanding / overvalue himself for some reason.
He looks around and sees everyone else on the team getting overpaid and wonders why he should settle for less. Its natural, and imo has nothing to do the 'type of guy' he is.
He has mildly disappointed prior to last year.
Well, he's no Marincin, that's for sure.

Reactions: Drivesaitl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad